• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two triggers down in new impact 737R action. Is it me? Are there more reliable triggers?

RKM556

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2021
Athens, GA
Hello all!

I recently sold an AXSR to build a lighter rifle for Mammoth and related field competitions. I had a very reputable gunsmithing company build me a rifle on an Impact 737R action with a triggertech diamond. I have always been very careful to prevent lube or anything from getting into my trigger as I know these remington-style triggers can be finnicky.

Exactly 6 days before Mammoth Sniper in January, my rifle (which at this point had about 800 rounds through it with a couple of careful cleanings) decided to follow my striker home, which AD'd a round straight downrange. Not cool, especially 6 days before a competition I had been training for 8 months.

I overnighted a Bix N Andy 2 stage tacsport pro. It arrived, I got it set (although the weight adjustment screw was loctited and unable to be moved... I called the folks at Bix and they just asked "why would you want it any lighter than 1.5 lbs?" which I thought was odd.) I shot mammoth with it, which was very rainy on day 2 this year, and by the end of the match my trigger's first stage was super gritty and almost unusable. The trigger wouldn't even go back to neutral after you'd gone through the first stage it was so gritty. Just from some rain (and I kept my rifle covered during the rucks and before stages!!!)

I followed Bix's directions exactly on trigger cleaning, and put it all back together. It was pretty much as good as it was before.

This was about a month ago with two range trips (with no cleanings in between). Now, my Bix is doing the exact same thing as my TT Diamond. No matter how carefully I set the sear, one every 30-40 bolt closes has the sear follow it home.

Is there a trigger out there with reliability like my AXSR? Am I just an idiot? I am not sure. I would love any insights. I won't take this rifle to the range in a condition like this and I'm getting tired of spending $350 on triggers that don't seem safe.

Thanks so much for any help, I'm always still learning so your advice is greatly appreciated.

The common denominator is the action. Have you tried the triggers on another action? The cocking piece might be out of spec.

If the triggers still fail on another action, assuming you're not doing anything wrong......you're likely just the victim of being unlucky enough to get two triggers from different manufacturers that are broken. It's just math at that point. Someone has to be on the unlucky side of the bell curve.

The common denominator is the action. Have you tried the triggers on another action? The cocking piece might be out of spec.

If the triggers still fail on another action, assuming you're not doing anything wrong......you're likely just the victim of being unlucky enough to get two triggers from different manufacturers that are broken. It's just math at that point. Someone has to be on the unlucky side of the bell curve.
very interesting. No I have not. Maybe I will reach out to the guys at Impact and see what they think. I only have this one action and it's LH so I don't have any friends to compare with.

very interesting. No I have not. Maybe I will reach out to the guys at Impact and see what they think. I only have this one action and it's LH so I don't have any friends to compare with.

Have them send you a new cocking piece, swap it out, and see what happens.

Yup. Talk to Tate. Hard to believe two tier-one triggers failed per se. Something about lightning striking twice. A new cocking piece would be a good place to start if it comes down to switching out parts.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Yup. Talk to Tate. Hard to believe two tier-one triggers failed per se. Something about lightning striking twice. A new cocking piece would be a good place to start if it comes down to switching out parts.
That makes sense to me. It could also be inexperience, but I truly have no idea how. I'm an experienced shooter but quite new to custom remington 700 stuff.

Are they still shipping different height trigger hangers? Which one are you using?

For that matter, there is a left and right trigger hangar. Not sure you could accidentally mix them up, but you might check you have the right one.

Great points, I am using the left hand 0 trigger hanger. Which should be ok! It was installed by a very reputable gunsmith who works with Tate a lot.

Reactions: Lwood
On the bix check the sear adjustment in the trigger. There are easy to follow instructions that come with the trigger

For what it is worth. I have noticed on ANY action with a super light trigger, if the cocking piece to trigger sear surfaces are not perfectly "timed" you can get some stiff pressure against the trigger sear as the bolt is climbing the lug seat ramps (while rotating to close) possibly allowing the cocking piece to ride over the trigger sear, especially if there is very little resistance or spring pressure holding the trigger shoe back toward reset.

For experienced shooters I know who are running super light triggers and running them hard in matches......I recommend modifying the cocking piece to remove this "preload-pressure" if you want to call it that....

This may not be an end all solution but it has helped me fix this problem in the past.

Just know if you change triggers later on, you may need to buy a new cocking piece and remodify it or leave it alone to get the setting for the new trigger setup.

Hope this helps.

Ern

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I remember a while back Orken was compiling info on issues with the triggertech triggers.

For what it is worth. I have noticed on ANY action with a super light trigger, if the cocking piece to trigger sear surfaces are not perfectly "timed" you can get some stiff pressure against the trigger sear as the bolt is climbing the lug seat ramps (while rotating to close) possibly allowing the cocking piece to ride over the trigger sear, especially if there is very little resistance or spring pressure holding the trigger shoe back toward reset.

Curious if this is ANY action, period, or just any 700 pattern action with 700 triggers?

Curious if this is ANY action, period, or just any 700 pattern action with 700 triggers?
Good point. This would be rem700 and clones with corresponding remington style triggers. Others can have this issue win70s....for example but I don't want to make a sweeping claim. But anytime you are fighting the firing pin spring when closing the bolt on the ramps is not the best solution.

Ern

Last edited:
Reactions: wind gypsy
Great idea, I have reached out to them and will report back what I learn.

Wish I could go geissele, but they don't make a LH version as far as I know. Limited to Bix, TT, Huber, etc.

May I ask, modified in what way, Ern?
You want to remove material at the cocking piece (opposing surface of the trigger sear)......while holding the original angle on the cocking piece surface.

You can get an idea of how much needs to be removed by looking at the cocking piece in relation to the bolt shroud. If the cocking piece keeps protruding out of the shroud while you are beginning to rotate/close the bolt.......you are literally using the lug camming surfaces to battle the firing pin spring......this is also why you can "feel" multiple stages when closing the bolt.

Do this at your own risk. Some will argue that removing this preload pressure can effect firing pin spring energy. It may very well have a minimal effect......but with aftermarket actions having heavier springs and small diameter pins......I feel it is a non-issue.

Ern

With a data point of 1 I'm very happy with my Triggertech Diamond 2 stage.
I have 10oz first stage with a total weight of 14.7oz.
It is mounted on an Ultimatum Precision Deadline Gen 2 action.

@RKM556 a friend who shoots prs in the same area as me has this exact same issue with his impact 737r. Tate requested it to be sent back into him for evaluation 2 weeks ago. He hasn't heard back yet.

To be fair I had my AXSR trigger fail during a match due to sand and wind in the area I shoot in. Shit can happen and things may break. I am running an impact 737 with a 2 stage diamond now and have not seen any issues.

Reactions: Huskydriver
@RKM556 a friend who shoots prs in the same area as me has this exact same issue with his impact 737r. Tate requested it to be sent back into him for evaluation 2 weeks ago. He hasn't heard back yet.

To be fair I had my AXSR trigger fail during a match due to sand and wind in the area I shoot in. Shit can happen and things may break. I am running an impact 737 with a 2 stage diamond now and have not seen any issues.
Interesting. Unfortunately I have a class in 12 days so I hope he doesn't need it for too long...

Have you tried a Huber ?

Perhaps pick up one of those cheap used AI ATX , put a Q Fix buttstock on it with a carbon barrel and maybe mill the forend for further lightening

Reactions: RKM556
Have you tried a Huber ?

Perhaps pick up one of those cheap used AI ATX , put a Q Fix buttstock on it with a carbon barrel and maybe mill the forend for further lightening
I would be very happy to find an ATX in LH, I would just buy it and be done

Reactions: BurtG
If you run the bolt slowly and the pin does not drop then you run it fast and the pin does drop with
a very lightweight trigger pull you may be experiencing the cocking piece striking the trigger sear
before the bolt handle stops its forward motion and starting its rotation to close.

Reactions: AccuSol-ERN
EDIT 2/21/24 -I have edited this post to reflect that Impact has very graciously taken care of this for me in a manner above what I expected. I do not think that it is fair to them to permanently have my short-term opinion of them seared on the internet. Please PM me if you'd like to hear my initial experience, I believe it is now irrelevant with how professionally they handled the situation.

Last edited:
As mentioned previously B&A has different sear heights for different actions so that would be a great place to start.

I’ve tried most of the 2 stage triggers out there and currently am running the Cadex trigger with good results. The Geiselle and Bix & Andy are excellent triggers but I’ve had availability issues with both. The downside is you are running left handed and I don’t believe they have a left handed safety lever for their triggers.

As mentioned previously B&A has different sear heights for different actions so that would be a great place to start.

I’ve tried most of the 2 stage triggers out there and currently am running the Cadex trigger with good results. The Geiselle and Bix & Andy are excellent triggers but I’ve had availability issues with both. The downside is you are running left handed and I don’t believe they have a left handed safety lever for their triggers.
Definitely. I had my sear and action matched via the documentation that Bullet Central has out. They are matched. I would love to try those Cadex triggers, I have heard great things.

Call John Huber and talk with him about his triggers. He will overwhelm you with information. Huber’s all I run and I’ve never had a problem. Hope you get up and running soon!

I hope this doesn't come across as insulting. Can you post a pic of the installed trigger. I have seen people install triggers in Impacts with the hanger upside down that has lead to trigger issues.

This might explain two different brand/design triggers having the same issue.

Ern

I was unaware that Cadex had triggers out on the market.
They are only 15 miles from me.
I'll check them out.

Reactions: Long Range 338
I was unaware that Cadex had triggers out on the market.
They are only 15 miles from me.
I'll check them out.
Great product and triggers are excellent! If you’ve ever shot one of their rifles it’s their own trigger.

I hope this doesn't come across as insulting. Can you post a pic of the installed trigger. I have seen people install triggers in Impacts with the hanger upside down that has lead to trigger issues.

This might explain two different brand/design triggers having the same issue.

Ern
Sure thing. I would be very happy to be wrong and I have been wrong many times before. This is a left handed action just to remind.

Attachments

• IMG_9878.jpg
    IMG_9878.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: stanley_white
Looks correct.

I find that odd that Tate hasn't called you back. That guy LITERALLY does not sleep and I have spoken with him at odd hours. Unless he is out on a hunt, he generally replies back quick.

Hope he gets you squared away

Looks correct.

I find that odd that Tate hasn't called you back. That guy LITERALLY does not sleep and I have spoken with him at odd hours. Unless he is out on a hunt, he generally replies back quick.

Hope he gets you squared away
I will call back, I did send a third followup email tonight since I hadn't heard back on my last 2. This is not a rub at Tate specifically. I have heard he is a fantastic dude. I'm just disappointed with how this has shaken out so far.

Thanks for the pic. Just wanted to make sure.

With it being a lefty, I am wondering if there is indeed a dimension that is off in the hanger, or hanger area of the action. I will look tomorrow and compare some leftys to some rightys.

I should at least be able to give you some dimensions to check on yours for comparison.

Obviously Tate knows his action best, so follow his lead. Maybe I can help you check a few things in the meantime.

Ern

Have you had ANY pierced primers? Simple yes or no.

When Tate inspects your action and finds that everything is within spec, make sure you post that here for everyone to see. As for the email responses you have received, they are not meant to be insulting. They just have to take into account the absolute dumbest individual that may be reading them on the other end.......and I assure you, they are justified. Anyone that knows Tate knows that he takes care of business, far better than most. This may be a situation where its best for Impact to just buy the receiver back from you. If that is an option you'd like to take, it can be arranged.