• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two-Way Radio Choice?

Leaddog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
Delaware
Looking for a good pair of two-way radios mostly for range work. Must be rugged and waterproof. I've tried the cheap ones and they just don't hold up. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Re: Two-Way Radio Choice?

If your cost conscience, would suggest you check out a set of Kenwoods in the 150MHz MURS band.

I have 4 TK-2200V2P's. (2-Watt, MURS) I believe this particular model has been discontinued but you might even find them cheaper now. I think the 2300 is the replacement but not sure. I paid under $90 per radio.

I have tested these to over 5 miles NON line-of sight with woodlands inbetween. The battery life is also great.

I have taken one apart (im a RF engineer or design short-range radios) and they are very well built and well designed. A basic old-school discrete narrowband FM transceiever with great RX sensivity. The PCB is fully supported and thermally sinked to cast aluminum.

On the different frequency bands; The longer the wavelength or lower the frequency, the lower the path loss. For example, same RF power or "all-else-the-same"; a 150MHz MURS band radio will go 2x farther than a 470MHz GMRS radio (again at the same power, antenna gain, etc). A 915MHz ISM radio would have a range 3/5ths of the GMRS. A CB radio at 27MHz is almost 4x the range of MURS radio. The assumes same RX sensitivity, antenna gain, etc.... but is just noted if your not familiar with propagation characteristics in different radio bands. Higher frequencies will typically work alittle better indoors up to 900MHz. Also, the efficiency of a short helical antenna increases as the frequency increases.

The MURS band is now unlicenced. There is not allot of traffic in this band.

4watts in the 450 - 490 Mhz range is also common. There are many other options.... 2 watts in the MURS band can still beat 4Watts at 470MHz. IMO what I described is the best performance for the buck.

I've got ICOM F-60 UHF 400-470 GMRS that are compact, robust, and reliable, and the F50 is a UHF (MURS) version of the same.

A buddy has a set of ICOM VHF Marine programmed for MURS that have delivered good service as well.

VHF is superior in these higher end radios for outdoors, but the UHF F60 radios I have had several years now have never let me down, and maybe a bit more "all purpose".

As a licensed ham I run 2 meter simplex on medium power (2.5 watts) with current model HTs with rubber ducks on a 1000 yard KD range with absolutely no problems.

The ultimate setup is dual bander HTs and a dual bander in the truck set up to run as a repeater. Park it up high somewhere and you have significant coverage over multiple square miles.

Getting a no code Technician license these days is about as easy as falling off a log. Gets you legal access to the good stuff and no need to mess around with the alphabet soup of consumer frequencies out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a licensed ham I run 2 meter simplex on medium power (2.5 watts) with current model HTs with rubber ducks on a 1000 yard KD range with absolutely no problems.

The ultimate setup is dual bander HTs and a dual bander in the truck set up to run as a repeater. Park it up high somewhere and you have significant coverage over multiple square miles.

Getting a no code Technician license these days is about as easy as falling off a log. Gets you legal access to the good stuff and no need to mess around with the alphabet soup of consumer frequencies out there. </div></div>

Good call. Cross band repeat is the shit..

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">THIS : is the best BANG for your Buck-$$</span></span> ... Screaming GOOD price right now on Amazon . best I have seen for this set-up .
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-MR-HH425LI-VP-15-Channel/dp/B000OYJ62U

Hey Can't say enough Good on these . They KickAss . & <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">I use this Model all the time</span></span> .
size is easy/nice packable in your jacket also . even Better w/Lapel Mic. & just tuck transceiver away & use small external Mic .
Pretty water resistant/Waterproof . I have used it outside in Monsoon downpours for days . also Lapel Mic. is waterproof & with ear-jack also.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">* GOOD Battery Life *</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Transmit ( 5 Watt VHF ) -&- ( 5 Watt GMRS )</span></span> ... ( but I usually just set it on ) 3 Watt setting .
GMRS - has 121 privacy codes /1815 code combination / VOX (hands free operation)
Auto Playback on last Call also . plus a bunch of other on-board programing . & Real User Friendly Too .

Check out the Wouxun line of radios on ebay. They ship from china, but the quality is outstanding and they have features of radios that cost 3 times as much.

Wouxun has a dual band model that I have set up on MURS and FRS as well as all my local emergency freq. I think its the UVD1P or something like that.

These are nice because you can program them to TX on the FRS radio frequency at .5 watt and then switch the channel to MURS and have VHF at 2 watts to be within band and legal as these two frequency ranges don't require license.

Ok, I'll be the token grinch of this thread: Make sure you're properly licensed and authorized for the frequencies you use with these wide-band handhelds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your cost conscience, would suggest you check out a set of Kenwoods in the 150MHz MURS band.

I have 4 TK-2200V2P's. (2-Watt, MURS) I believe this particular model has been discontinued but you might even find them cheaper now. I think the 2300 is the replacement but not sure. I paid under $90 per radio.

I have tested these to over 5 miles NON line-of sight with woodlands inbetween. The battery life is also great.

I have taken one apart (im a RF engineer or design short-range radios) and they are very well built and well designed. A basic old-school discrete narrowband FM transceievr with great RX sensivity. The PCB is fully supported and thermally sinked to cast aluminum.

On the different frequency bands; The longer the wavelength or lower the frequency, the lower the path loss. For example, same RF power or "all-else-the-same"; a 150MHz MURS band radio will go 2x farther than a 470MHz GMRS radio (again at the same power, antenna gain, etc). A 915MHz ISM radio would have a range 3/5ths of the GMRS. A CB radio at 27MHz is almost 4x the range of MURS radio. The assumes same RX sensitivity, antenna gain, etc.... but is just noted if your not familiar with propagation characteristics in different radio bands. Higher frequencies will typically work alittle better indoors up to 900MHz. Also, the efficiency of a short helical antenna is increases as the frequency increases.

The MURS band is now unlicenced. There is not allot of traffic in this band.

4watts in the 450 - 490 Mhz range is also common. There are many other options.... 2 watts in the MURS band can still beat 4Watts at 470MHz. IMO what I described is the best performance for the buck.

</div></div>

Boomholzer,

Help a dummy out here.
smile.gif

I have a couple of 10 year old Icom VHF radios (very expensive) and as soon as one of us drops over the far side of a mountain my partner and I lose communication.
We are usually within 3-5K (as the crow flies).

Is there any technology that does what I need?
Does the hardware listed above do that?

Thanks in advance!

i run a yaesu vx7r most of the time. runs good for sure

on a side note, i recently heard that the old nextel cell phones with direct talk can be used as 2 way comms without service agreement/charge, etc. anyone have any experience with this? was thinking about doing this for shits and grins...i have a cousin who is bringing me a couple olds ones to christmas this year. seems like a super cheap (free) back up comms plan for short distance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any technology that does what I need?</div></div>

VHF and UHF radios are basically line-of-sight devices. There is a way - put up a repeater in a location within line of sight of everyplace you might want to communicate from. Or use a satellite phone. Or this:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10820&minisite=10020

I have one. It's not cheap to either buy or use - and you'd need two...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i run a yaesu vx7r most of the time. runs good for sure

on a side note, i recently heard that the old nextel cell phones with direct talk can be used as 2 way comms without service agreement/charge, etc. anyone have any experience with this? was thinking about doing this for shits and grins...i have a cousin who is bringing me a couple olds ones to christmas this year. seems like a super cheap (free) back up comms plan for short distance
</div></div>

Yep the I355 seems to be the best for accessories, etc. You'll need to have a sim card for each phone as well. I recommend Sprint or Nextel 128K cards. You can find all items on e-bay.

They work well and are clear. The i355 has an external antenna port, used with a Wilson adapter and a Yagi some folks are getting 21 miles LOS during testing in AZ. I 've tested in dense heavily wooded rolling hills I'm getting just shy of 1 mile with an aftermarket antenna - Think Motorola stick antenna rather than the stock extendable antenna.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10820&minisite=10020

I have one. It's not cheap to either buy or use - and you'd need two...
</div></div>

Thanks,

I have a Globalstar phone that costs not much more than the Delorme deal.
The problem is my hunting partners cant afford/justify the ~$1000.00 per year to run another sat Phone.

Was hoping for a miracle solution...Oddly enough the best bet to date has been old school 5 Watt CD hand held CB radios.

The FRS radios are not very good with only 1/2 watt output power. CB is a wasteland. Ham / Amateur radio is the most powerful and advanced option, but requires a license that you need to study for and take a test.

A good alternative option might be GMRS. Basically, a much more powerful version of FRS which can use professional grade equipment. It does need a license, but that's just a matter of applying for it and paying a fee to the FCC. Take a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mobile_Radio_Service

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i run a yaesu vx7r most of the time. runs good for sure

</div></div>

The VX series has almost no receive audio gain - can't hear the thing without earpro, let alone with it.

The FT-270R is loud, rugged, waterproof, and CHEAP. You can buy two for less than the price of one of the VX series.

What Zak Smith said!

Horizon Standard is the Marine division of Yaesu (the HAM division) of Vertex Standard. You can get a really good deal on a VHF Horizon Standard HX370s at Gander Mountain right now: $124.99 with $20.00 off online discount its only $104.99. That radio is actually a really good value at the regular price; at $104.99 it’s a steal IMHO!

This handheld is really highly regarded by the HAM folks. Type 90 accepted (legal for business channels with appropriate license), Waterproof, up to 5 watts transmitter (user programmable 5, 2.5, 1), user programmable with CE68 Software and a PC you can set it up for the unlicensed MURS channels. If you want to go MURS you won't be able to use Yaesu (at least without opening it up and modding the electronics) as it will be receive only on all non-HAM frequencies.

FYI you're going to get somewhat better performance outside (over hills, trees, etc.) with VHF than you would with UHF. I mention that because MURS is VHF, GMRS is UHF which will do a better job in an urban setting, penetrating buildings and such.

Best bang for buck Two Way... Garmin GPS Rhino... without getting too detailed, you can talk, plot, get a grid, and back track. Anyone else with a radio can get on your freqs, but you'll most likely be the only one that can give a lat/long or MGRS grid. Put your nose in some literature to learn the system, and stick with Garmin. (Stay away from rechargeable systems. Stick with 2AA or 3AAA powered... trust me.)

I have a General HAM ticket and I use the THF6-A as my primary rig. I have used IRLP from Australia to Golden, Colorado, Vancouver BC to Golden as well as some other places with this HT. I like the UI on the Kenwood better than the Yaesu, but prefer the Yaesu overall. I also have an 857-D that is great. For matches and the range I usually use whatever HTs Zak has laying around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJMOC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are the Garmin Rino gps/2way combos? </div></div>

The Garmin Rhinos are FRS/GMRS so range is going to be more limited than a VHF handheld. IMHO there are better options for handheld coms (see discussion of MURS above) unless you don't need much range. GMRS requires a license ($85.00); with unlicensed FRS I believe you’re going to be limited to 1/2 watt. With a GMRS license you can go up to 5 watts. As was said above by another member I belive a 2 watt VHF MURS radio (no license required) will out-perform a 5 watt GMRS radio in most instances.

BTW; I'd take the range claims on Garmin's website with a healthy grain of salt...UHF radios are very line-of sight and don’t’ bend over hills or trees very well at all.

>... " <span style="font-style: italic">FYI you're going to get somewhat better performance outside (over hills, trees, etc.) with VHF than you would with UHF. I mention that because MURS is VHF, GMRS is UHF which will do a better job in an urban setting, penetrating buildings and such</span> ."
-
<span style="font-weight: bold">
The model I described above & Posted on & regularly use . Does a really good job getting out there & not just on the water where it's flat . It does great in-town & in the hills .
Transmit ( 5 Watt VHF ) -&- ( 5 Watt GMRS ) .
From what you said. It has desirable qualities & it's all-weather & it's a good price-$ .</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><cough>HX370S</cough>

</div></div>
Flatlanders...Sigh!
Where is the mountain miracle?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><cough>HX370S</cough>

</div></div>
Flatlanders...Sigh!
Where is the mountain miracle?
smile.gif
</div></div>

LOL! ...SAT Phone??
wink.gif

I am a Moto Man. XTS3000 and MTS2000 radios serve me well. Most of my buddies are on 900Mhz and we have several repeaters in our area.

You can't beat Motorola durability.

For Christmas my brother (who rebuilds old tube radios on the side) gave me a BAOFENG UV-3R MKII.

It is a tiny dual bander with FM reception and a LED light
Worth checking out, performance is good, works great with my other rigs, good FM radio reception.
It has some quirks, but it's Software Defined Radio that is exceptional for the price.
My only problem with the radio, other than the instructions being in Chinese only, is they didn't include a longer screw for the belt cip.
I have the MKII model, and honestly, despite what some reviews have said, it doesn't feel particularly cheap at all in hand, it's a solid little unit.

Here is LNXAUTHOR's review from eham.net:

Looking at my new sub-$50 tinkertoy, the Baofeng UV-3R bears more than a little resemblance to my Yaesu VX3R, and the comparison is unavoidable:

1. same form factor, same VFO/vol knob, SMA connector, side buttons, similar front buttons (with the exception of the power button, vertical array and sub-Vol button); same recv LED

2. the included VHF stubby is indistinguishable from the VX3R's

3. need a cheap replacement battery for your VX3R? current online price is $39.95 - why not spend $10 more and get a radio? VX3R battery works in the UV3R

4. VX3R battery works with the UV3R and vice versa; VX3R AA battery pack works w/the UV3R with a horseshoe 'v' cut to accommodate the UV3R's belt clip

5. Fidelity is as good as if not better than the VX3R

6. the Premiere speaker mic works on both rigs

7. haven't found an SMA antenna that wouldn't fit on the UV3R

8. alas, no AM or internal bar antenna on the UV3R

9. UV3R vol adjustment is soft-louder-loud-really loud; not as a level increment as on UV3R

10. FM receive is quite good; alas, only 15 memories, but more than enough for the band in my area and easily programmed w/three key presses

11. open-source, cross-platform software available for rig programming (kudos to the programmers! thanks!); works great under my OS X and Linux systems

12. more than enough memories (100) for UHF/VHF ham freqs

13. NOAA WX receive available and easily programmed; this alone makes the rig valuable for me here in hurricane country

14. can lock rig to prevent accidental function changes

15. my Comet SMA-703 is a favorite fit, but the included antennas work fine for their purpose

16. includes a cute low-power LED flashlight where the VX3R has a mic/speaker connector

17. the UV3R box uses the same color scheme and labeling as the VX3R box - uh oh!

18. the UV3R includes a wrist strap and base charger unlike the VX3R

19. the UV3R includes a belt clip - no such beast for the VX3R

20. the UV3R includes a speaker and mic!!!

21. did i mention that the UV3R is less than $50?

i don't know why Motorola-Vertex isn't dropping fishcakes in their corporate pants as this unit, part of a creeping advance part of inexpensive ham gear comes to our shores, but it will have to step up its game

- yes, the UV3R is cheap

- yes, it feels like flimsy plastic - but does anyone remember the identical crappy battery latch on the VX2R?

- the included accessories are a very nice addition

- i would have preferred that no Li-Ion battery and charger was included, but instead, a nice AA battery pack was used - perhaps then the UV3R would have been $25???

Ijust ordered a set of the BAOFENG UV-3R MKII.

In New Zealand the best you could do for a set under $100 is a 0.7 Watt RF Output Power -the BAOFENG has 2 watts.These should be very good for general light use.

After spending a little time using this unit on VHF and UHF as well as listening to FM broadcasts, I am just amazed at the price/performance ratio here.
Need to get a couple more myself! At double the price it would still be a good value.

These cost to me delivered is $96US-when they arrive.
Had I just got a single unit I was looking at the 5watt Wouxun KG-UV6D Dual Band VHF/UHF 200 Channel Handheld Commercial Radio at $170US

The Standard Horizon HX370S radio is not legal for MURS as it is not Part 95 certified and it cannot be grandfathered as it was not Part 90 certified prior to Sept 2000. It was Part 90 certified in 2002. You can check this on the FCC web site by entering in the FCC ID.

You can buy Motorola GP300 or P110 radios cheap on eBay. As long as you get the narrow band VHF version, these can be programmed for MURS frequencies and are grandfathered. The new cheap Chinese radios like the Wouxun or Baofeng are also not legal as they don't have the right certifications. I have researched this to death because I had the same problem. I ended up buying the Motorola RDM2020. You pay a little more for these ($189), but you get Motorola quality and don't have to worry about being in violation of the FCC rules. These were designed by Motorola specifically as MURS radios and Motorola is not going to cut corners. Plus the manual is in English, not Chinglish.

Just sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Zak Smith said!

Horizon Standard is the Marine division of Yaesu (the HAM division) of Vertex Standard. You can get a really good deal on a VHF Horizon Standard HX370s at Gander Mountain right now: $124.99 with $20.00 off online discount its only $104.99. That radio is actually a really good value at the regular price; at $104.99 it’s a steal IMHO!

This handheld is really highly regarded by the HAM folks. Type 90 accepted (legal for business channels with appropriate license), Waterproof, up to 5 watts transmitter (user programmable 5, 2.5, 1), user programmable with CE68 Software and a PC you can set it up for the unlicensed MURS channels. If you want to go MURS you won't be able to use Yaesu (at least without opening it up and modding the electronics) as it will be receive only on all non-HAM frequencies.

FYI you're going to get somewhat better performance outside (over hills, trees, etc.) with VHF than you would with UHF. I mention that because MURS is VHF, GMRS is UHF which will do a better job in an urban setting, penetrating buildings and such.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anarchist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Standard Horizon HX370S radio is not legal for MURS as it is not Part 95 certified and it cannot be grandfathered as it was not Part 90 certified prior to Sept 2000. It was Part 90 certified in 2002. You can check this on the FCC web site by entering in the FCC ID.</div></div>

Technically correct (I've been waiting for someone to point this out
wink.gif
) To my knowledge there are no HTs currently in manufacture that are FCC approved (Part 95) for MURS (thank you Motorola...). My feeling is that as long as the radio is programmed correctly (narrow band, correct output wattage) you are not going to have any problems. I recognize this does not satisfy the <span style="font-style: italic">letter</span> of the law so each user will have to decide whether they are comfortable with that.

If one does want to utilize the MURS frequencies and satisfy both the <span style="font-style: italic">letter</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">intent</span> of the law they will be limited to purchasing used equipment that was Part 90 certified prior to 2000, as you pointed out. As I said: to my knowledge (I have searched extensively) there are no MURS capable Part 95 certified radios currently being made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what about moto p200? set in the 150MHz range? </div></div>

Searched but couldn't find the specs for a Moto P200; Google-fu is weak today. Found plenty of parts and accessories though...
crazy.gif

But, as long as it:

1. Was Part 90 certified before September 2000 (grandfathered for MURS),

2. Allows programming to narrow-band transmission, and

3. Has (or can be programmed for) transmitter output of 2 watts or less.

If it meets all three of the above then, yes, it satisfies both the <span style="font-style: italic">letter</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">intent</span> of the FCC requirements for MURS. If you are referring to the current CP200 I don't believe it complies, letter-of-the-law-wise.

I'm heading on an elk trip to CO this October and need a decent set of radios. There will be 12 of us hunting over about 20 miles. I know we won't be able to reach to everyone, but hopefully play leapfrog down the mountains when we drop an animal. I have no experience with these things and don't want to have to get a license, etc.

Looking for good range, replaceable batteries (not rechargeable) and that's about it.

Careful with the radios and Elk hunting... If I remember my sons hunter safety course, use of radios is prohibited in a hunt, could be a hefty fine + points against your license...