• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Type A vs ADM vs CLE for a SPR?

ModestMarksman

10 MOA shooter with a 1/2 MOA gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2023
New Braunfels
Basically the title. I’m in the market for a Gucci SPR and can’t decide which route to go. I’m hoping to achieve sub MOA accuracy and to have the rifle be reliable.

I’m leaning towards a “MK12” from Type A or a 18 inch rifle from ADM but would go CLE with a Bartlein/Krieger barrel if the gurus here think it’ll make a noticeable difference accuracy wise.

What would y’all do if you were looking for a sub MOA, reliable SPR? Gotta stay 5.56 and I’m going to rock an OCM5.

If I do go CLE or a similar route do they assemble the upper for you? I can do it myself but if I can just pay them to do it I would rather go that route.

Do you want to go with a military correct type? We have some in the Mk12 realm, and happy to chat with you about SPRs.

Type A makes a good rifle, but not sure if their Mk12 is production capable. You can ask. The last time I spoke with them, they were doing some near-clone rifles more as one-offs. You can never go wrong with Compass Lake making your a barrel, but then you still working a platform, which is why the Mk12 is a nice place to start for match grade 5.56. There are others with great 5.56 rifles as well. I really like LMT rifles. LaRue has a few decent rifles. JP as well. My personal area of expertise is in the military sniper grade, so there are some, like ADM, where I only know the name as a scope mount, and in that area, I usually prefer others, so I know nothing of their rifles.

For 5.56 match quality, you want a good stainless barrel, button or rifle cut, not chrome lined and not CHF. 18" or 20" are great choices. Barrel profile only matters if you intend on getting a true Mk12 suppressor (Allen Engineering). If so, there are very few off the shelf barrel makers who make the right profile to fit that Ops #12 profile. We have Compass Lake and Craddock Precision do our Mk12 barrels (aka SPR). We also carry Criterion and Douglas barrels, ready to go, with and without Allen Eng hardware and Mk12 gas block. We resell PRI rifles, which are a nice commercial near-clone Mod 0. Their barrels are Douglas and turned by CLE, so they have the correct profile. Centurion makes a variation on a Mk12 that is very good, but may not accept the suppressor.

Reactions: simonp
If you are using an OCM5 then it should use the ops inc collar and thread? So you will want real mk12 contour. CLE should do it correctly I've no idea on the ADM rifles and never heard of Type A sorry.

Not exactly an answer to your question but you'll never regret starting with a Bartlein or Krieger (unless it won't shoot that is). Mine isn't a Mk12 clone but it is a 11" Craddock Precision Signature Bartlein and it does shoot sub MOA through a Dead Air Nomad using the Xeno stuff. Got it on sale with discount so even the $ wasn't bad. The little thing shot great from the start and is even better @ 300 rounds.

Call CLE and tell them what you are wanting to do. I’m sure he will let you mail him the upper parts and assemble for you. He uses aero enhanced stuff and BCG’s last I checked & sounds like that’s not what you would prefer. If he will I would let him turn you a Douglas, Bart, or Krieger.

If you want to go the MK12 route, grab one of these when they are in stock: https://craddockprecision.com/signature-18-223-wylde-mk12-mod-0-spr/

Luckily they are in stock fairly often. You can’t go wrong with a Bartlein done by Craddock Precision. There really isn’t anything above that when it comes to MK12 barrels.

Pick the parts you want after that and put it together yourself or have a top notch AR builder like @MSTN put it together for you.

Reactions: jumrobe
If you want to go the MK12 route, grab one of these when they are in stock: https://craddockprecision.com/signature-18-223-wylde-mk12-mod-0-spr/

Luckily they are in stock fairly often. You can’t go wrong with a Bartlein done by Craddock Precision. There really isn’t anything above that when it comes to MK12 barrels.

Pick the parts you want after that and put it together yourself or have a top notch AR builder like @MSTN put it together for you.

Would you say that Craddock is better than the CLE Bartlein MK12 barrel?

Call CLE and tell them what you are wanting to do. I’m sure he will let you mail him the upper parts and assemble for you. He uses aero enhanced stuff and BCG’s last I checked & sounds like that’s not what you would prefer. If he will I would let him turn you a Douglas, Bart, or Krieger.
If you are using an OCM5 then it should use the ops inc collar and thread? So you will want real mk12 contour. CLE should do it correctly I've no idea on the ADM rifles and never heard of Type A sorry.
From my understanding Otter Creek makes an adapter to allow you to use any profile barrel as long as it has the right thread pitch and enough length between the handguard and muzzle.

Not exactly an answer to your question but you'll never regret starting with a Bartlein or Krieger (unless it won't shoot that is). Mine isn't a Mk12 clone but it is a 11" Craddock Precision Signature Bartlein and it does shoot sub MOA through a Dead Air Nomad using the Xeno stuff. Got it on sale with discount so even the $ wasn't bad. The little thing shot great from the start and is even better @ 300 rounds.
That’s the main reason I want a Bartlein or Krieger. I’ve heard nothing but good things about their accuracy

Reactions: BCP and DHDeal
That’s the main reason I want a Bartlein or Krieger. I’ve heard nothing but good things about their accuracy
I prefer Bartlein over all the rest. Not that it matters to the discussion but I have another barrel chambered by Craddock that is not a Bartlein. It is a Rainier Ultra Match 10.3" 300BO barrel which by another name (as I understand from many here) is a Criterion barrel chambered and fluted by Craddock. That one is also a baby doll. I never gave a crap about the 300BO until my suppressors arrived. I believe in accuracy first and that little thing also shoots well enough to make me smile every time.

Both of the barrels I'm referring to are on complete matching uppers (with the exception of the optics) on my SBR lower. Craddock Precision does some fine work chambering/finishing barrels.

Basically the title. I’m in the market for a Gucci SPR and can’t decide which route to go. I’m hoping to achieve sub MOA accuracy and to have the rifle be reliable.

I’m leaning towards a “MK12” from Type A or a 18 inch rifle from ADM but would go CLE with a Bartlein/Krieger barrel if the gurus here think it’ll make a noticeable difference accuracy wise.

You should definitely get the TYPE-A rifle because they guarantee sub MOA accuracy.
Accuracy Guarantee

Our TYPE-A barrels are guaranteed to give sub Minute of Angle (MOA) accuracy with match grade ammunition.

Sub MOA is defined as a 3 shot magazine feed or 5 shot single loaded group size of 1 inch or under at 100 yards.

Last edited:
My White Oaks have been straight hammers. Including their 20" SDM (Wilson) and their Bartlein 4groove 20". Its a freaking laser with SMK's and what I'm running on my DMR right now....

"White Oak Precision Krieger Service Rifle Barrel Post Ban, 1-7.7 Twist, With M4 Ramps
(In Stock)
$495.00"

Bartlein Post-Ban, 5R Rifling Gain Twist 8 to 6.5
(In Stock)
$550.00

Last edited:
Reactions: msgriff
Honestly none of them are gucci brands.

Bartlein and Krieger barrels are as Gucci as you can get. Sure, maybe the brands themselves aren’t as hip as companies like Noveske, VSeven or even Proof but guys who know barrels will put Krieger and Bartlein at the top of the list.

Reactions: jumrobe and BCP
I was talked into a Ballistic Advantage barrel years ago because of an identical accuracy guarantee. They honor their warranty I’ll say that, but I hope to never go down that rabbit hole again.
Since the TYPE-A guarantee is worded nearly identically to the BA barrel guarantee, I think there's more than a 50/50 chance that the TYPE-A barrel is just a rebranded BA barrel.

If you want true ‘sub MOA accuracy’ your money is going to be best spent on a Bartlein or Kreiger barrel. You might get lucky with a $300 barrel that can post a sub-moa 10 shot group, but they are few and far between.

I’ve got a 20” Kreiger spun up by CLE in their Tactical profile and it straight up shoots better than I can. I’m only capable of 1.1-1.3 MOA with that gun on a 10 shot group, but for what I’m using it for its more than adequate. With some skill improvements on my end, and hand loading I have ever confidence this barrel could post one of Molon’s 10 shot, one ragged hole groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCP
I have 10+ barrel blanks in 224, 6mm, 6.5, and 308 in a few different twists on the way to test and compare. A few of those will be used to make full custom AR barrels... stay tuned..

Looks like Im going CLE with the Bartlein MK12 profile barrel with the 1/7 twist rate and rifle length gas (Any reason why I should change to the 1/7.7 or intermediate gas?). Is it worth sending in a bolt and if so any reccomendations on one? Considering just grabbing a REBCG from G$. Lastly any upper recommendations? Considering using a ADM reciever set or one from MEGA. Just not sure what will make enough of a difference since most of my rifles are just off the shelf setups or ones that arent really set up for precision.

Looks like Im going CLE with the Bartlein MK12 profile barrel with the 1/7 twist rate and rifle length gas (Any reason why I should change to the 1/7.7 or intermediate gas?). Is it worth sending in a bolt and if so any reccomendations on one? Considering just grabbing a REBCG from G$. Lastly any upper recommendations? Considering using a ADM reciever set or one from MEGA. Just not sure what will make enough of a difference since most of my rifles are just off the shelf setups or ones that arent really set up for precision.
Depends on what you intend to shoot. I am kind of partial to the 7.5tw -7.7 area because 7 is a little much for some bullets I like to run but I know many shoot quite a range with 7 too so.....

I would send a bolt and have it matched or get one from them and have em match it. I would stick with rifle gas for sure