• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Type of finish on this m-70 receiver

mjmd11

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2018
This rifle was once in the U.S. Army inventory and ,as you can see, the finish on the receiver and barrel do not match. I also assume it had a micrometer sight on it before the scope was mounted due to the wear on the finish around the tap holes. The rings on the scope are early Redfield I presume. The barrel appears to be a medium/high gloss blue while the receiver is almost a matt grey. The barrel, is stamped 1952, and is a 24" Winchester Target. It could be a replacement or possibly refinished at some time during the rifles lifespan. I would like to get the barrel refinished to match the receiver.(The rifle is a tack driver.) Any help or thoughts you may have would be appreciated. Especially if you have a smith who can do the job. I do not think the receiver is rust blued.

Attachments

• CIMG9433.JPG
    CIMG9433.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 170
  • CIMG9432.JPG
    CIMG9432.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
No pics, but FWIW my Van Orden has a matte finished receiver and polished barrel.

See them now. Mine looks just like that. Probably the same blue on barrel and receiver, just different surface prep.

This rifle was once in the U.S. Army inventory
Just curious how you know this?
As I understand it all branches had these in their rifle teams inventories and for other purposes.
Mine is "U.S. PROPERTY" marked, but to date I've been unable to determine to which branch it belonged.
20210606_201947.jpg

Last edited:
As above. Finish is correct . Pre war rifles are high polished on receiver in case someone needs that info.

Thanks to Skunk, Criver600, Pre64, Dan, Lange Carabine, Sirhrmechanic, and rth1800 for the informed responses. The only other rifles I own are pre war so I was comparing the finish on those to this early 50's rifle. An erroneous assumption on my part and somewhat embarrassing for someone who should know better.

For the record. How did the factory produce that matt grey receiver finish?

Reactions: Criver600
The barrel, is stamped 1952, and is a 24" Winchester Target. It could be a replacement or possibly refinished at some time during the rifles lifespan. I would like to get the barrel refinished to match the receiver.(The rifle is a tack driver.)
For the record. How did the factory produce that matt grey receiver finish?

The level of metal prep/polishing prior to bluing will determine the level of 'sheen' of the metal. Sand it for hours with 2000 grit sandpaper and it will come out a super reflective glossy deep blued finish that you can see your reflection on. In contrast, if just bead-blasted without any subsequent polishing, it will typically produce a matte black/non-reflective finish - even if the same bluing solution is used. Manganese-based phosphating or parkerizing will produce a dark-gray, military style finish.

I once read a post by I think Gus Fischer (former USMC match armorer) who stated that when they re-barreled bolt action rifles they would 'true' the face of the action, bead-blast it, and then dunk it into the bluing tanks without any real polishing of the receiver's metal surface, thereby resulting in a somewhat matte finish. My guess is that WRA polished their replacement M70 barrels to fairly nice blued finish, but used M70 receiver's didn't get the same hours of careful attention/metal prep. To the military it's just a tool, no need to make them pretty during a re-furb.

As seen in the attached USMC M70 at the NRA museum, the polished barrel with somewhat matte finish receiver is common. I wouldn't mess with it, esp since its accurate. For my build based of an old hunting rifle, I had my local gunsmith (since retired) sand my receiver and barrel with 200 grit paper before he blued it, so it came out what I would call a 'satin' or 'semi-matte' finish. (see 2nd pic). It does not have as much 'sheen' as the original WRA barrel's 'glossy blued' finish, but was sort of in the middle. I wanted to sort-of match the blued finish on an old Unertl scope, which is what he achieved. The surface has very fine sanding marks and its non-reflective (ie, 'satin' finish). Again, I'd leave your barrel and receiver alone - esp if its a former military rifle.

Attachments

• NRA_USMC_M70_on_display.JPG
    NRA_USMC_M70_on_display.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3726.JPG
    IMG_3726.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6752.JPG
    IMG_6752.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: ZG47A
There are two of them , both 338xxx's and both x military. The good advice offered here will be heeded and they will be left unmolested although one of the barrels is badly pitted on the outside.

There are two of them , both 338xxx's and both x military. The good advice offered here will be heeded and they will be left unmolested although one of the barrels is badly pitted on the outside.
On an original gun... pitted and original is still better than un-pitted with new parts or replacement bits.

Gorgeous stuff!

Sirhr