• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Typical Commissary discount meat fuckery.

FjallJager

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    Being a retiree, and living close to a military base I buy a lot of meat from the commissary. But I honestly don't know why.

Ours has 3-4 deep freeze boxes full of frozen discounted meat. Most of the time if you buy something from there and defrost it will be fine. Most of the time. Usually these boxes represent a 30-60% discount. Rib eyes are my favorite cut of steak and I regularly buy two packs for $6-8 in there. A defrost, and a dry brine and they are exceptional.

Every Christmas season lamb is completely overstocked at the commissary. This year they had lamb racks for $60. They looked good, but I didn't buy one. Then I noticed a few days ago the same lamb racks frozen in the deep freeze boxes. $11-13 each. Massive discount.

So I bought 5 of them and defrosted them.

I cut them into individual chops.

Sprinkled "herbs de provence" (rosemary, thyme, and some other shit) on them.

A little dried garlic.

Salt and pepper and put them in the oven on grill racks at 300 F for 30 minutes.

Pulled them and put them on a really hot bbq briquette fire and put a sear on them.

They tasted amazing. As lamb chops cooked this way are among the best things on the planet.

Until last night when I shit my brains out for 3 hours, then did the same thing again this morning.

The next time you are the commissary and you see a box of frozen meat that is highly discounted, do yourself a favor keep walking.

Being a retiree, and living close to a military base I buy a lot of meat from the commissary. But I honestly don't know why.

Ours has 3-4 deep freeze boxes full of frozen discounted meat. Most of the time if you buy something from there and defrost it will be fine. Most of the time. Usually these boxes represent a 30-60% discount. Rib eyes are my favorite cut of steak and I regularly buy two packs for $6-8 in there. A defrost, and a dry brine and they are exceptional.

Every Christmas season lamb is completely overstocked at the commissary. This year they had lamb racks for $60. They looked good, but I didn't buy one. Then I noticed a few days ago the same lamb racks frozen in the deep freeze boxes. $11-13 each. Massive discount.

A little dried garlic.

Salt and pepper and put them in the oven on grill racks at 300 F for 30 minutes.

Pulled them and put them on a really hot bbq briquette fire and put a sear on them.

They tasted amazing. As lamb chops cooked this way are among the best things on the planet.

Until last night when I shit my brains out for 3 hours, then did the same thing again this morning.

The next time you are the commissary and you see a box of frozen meat that is highly discounted, do yourself a favor keep walking.
    Maybe it was the pepper?

I don't buy anything frozen out of the meat case at the commissary. Pork ribs (not frozen) are less expensive than the gas it takes both ways than thee same ribs at Safeway a 1/4 mile from the house. Fresh cut fillet steaks to order are also less $, and the quality is as good or better than Safeway. Frozen meat from any store is usually lesser quality to begin with, or left over stuff that didn't sell when it was "fresh".

"They tasted amazing"

I can only speak for myself, but I can taste meat that's going bad. Never a doubt in my mind when it starts going off. Maybe the lamb was good and it's just an unfortunate coincidence that you got sick after eating it? Did you also eat a salad at or around the same time? Contaminated lettuce and other fresh produce will mess you up big time.

Just like that pickup truck the I saw on Oregon Hwy 97, parked on the outskirts of La Pine, last summer...advertising discount meat and seafood.....who the F says "oh hell yeah!" to that?

• Haha
    Reactions: M8541Reaper
    I just bought a beef for $2.50/lb from the rancher, and processor is $1.50/lb.

Best part is I asked them to grain finish and they said "of course, for .25/lb".

Can't buy burger at the store for that, and I'll have all sorts of grass raised grain finished beef.

The meat plants and grocery stores are the ones making the money. Ranchers are cheap if you can afford the up front cost.

Reactions: Anb618 and FWoo45
    "They tasted amazing"

I can only speak for myself, but I can taste meat that's going bad. Never a doubt in my mind when it starts going off. Maybe the lamb was good and it's just an unfortunate coincidence that you got sick after eating it? Did you also eat a salad at or around the same time? Contaminated lettuce and other fresh produce will mess you up big time.
    What is salad?

I am on the carnivore diet, so I only eat meat.

I'm genuinely happy that you've discovered what works best for you. I was just throwing out a possibility to try to help determine the source of your stomach illness. I'll bow out now. Best of luck.

As a retiree, you had 20 years to learn this lesson. I’m surprised it took so long 😂

It’s bullshit that commissaries are a hit or miss. Some commissaries rival a Harris Teeter or Publix in terms of quality and choice, while others only wish they could reach the level of an Aldi’s located in the Southeastern US. …aka the Dollar Tree is a smarter and safer choice.

If the butcher isn’t available to cut me something, then chicken is getting cooked in its place 😂

I'm genuinely happy that you've discovered what works best for you. I was just throwing out a possibility to try to help determine the source of your stomach illness. I'll bow out now. Best of luck.
    No worries, thought you were being funny.

Before we moved we lived about a mile from one base and five or six from another. In 36 years active and retired we probably averaged one visit every two or three years. Not much more to the Exchange. Wife was never happy with the selection.

The exchanges suck, all of them.

If they have a sale, then combined with their tax free it is a good deal.

But 99% of what they sell is full retail.

I have noticed that some exchanges only cater to retirees like the MCX next to Arlington at the Marine Corps Annex. There isn't much for active duty there.

If this is typical, I’m afraid you may have a learning disability. Or a fetish...

• Haha
    Reactions: clcustom1911

A little dried garlic.

Screenshot_20220126-100619_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: stefan73 and PDXGS
    U.S. Army 1971, remote site, 8,000ft in the mountains. I was tired of the mess-hall sized cans of beanie-weenies (some beans were green) or canned salami(?) - reddish color, unique odor. Then someone decided to reward us with a hot meal - steamed mutton. First thing I noticed was the smell, but I was hungry for a cooked meal. I don't know which end it came out the most. Never ate lamb again in any form, stayed with the C-rations. (Some asshole removed all the cigarettes!)

U.S. Army 1971, remote site, 8,000ft in the mountains. I was tired of the mess-hall sized cans of beanie-weenies (some beans were green) or canned salami(?) - reddish color, unique odor. Then someone decided to reward us with a hot meal - steamed mutton. First thing I noticed was the smell, but I was hungry for a cooked meal. I don't know which end it came out the most. Never ate lamb again in any form, stayed with the C-rations. (Some asshole removed all the cigarettes!)
    Steamed surely wouldn't help it, but there's really no possible way to make mutton good. I'd rather eat liver, and I HATE liver.

I avoided the commissary when I was active duty, simply because I didn't care for the Filipino bagger mafia who acted insulted adn ready to shank me if I didn't tip them fuck-all because all I bought was a gallon on milk, that already has a fucking handle and plastic case to it, and they still stick it in a fucking bag and act like I'm supposed to let them carry it out to my truck so they can "earn" their tip. Those fuckers were bringing home more than most full birds.

Most of the time I could beat their prices at Piggly Wiggly anyhow. And they had better looking cashiers, or at least the one in Beaufort did.

The only good thing about commissaries were the days when you could buy smokes at them, $7/carton for Reds at the Camp Foster PX in '94 was awesome, and $12/carton stateside throughout the 90s were a deal and a half. When they removed tobacco because it cut into the profits too much of the MCX, well, fuck those places.

AAFES, PX, CGX, NEX and MCX all have tobacco. Lots of it.

Navy and Marine Corps Exchanges are still the land of the Filipino, just what it is.

Army has Koreans and snaggle toothed Germans. Rarely do good looking Germans marry Americans, so they are pretty rough.

One has to shop carefully at the commissary. Many items can be had (fresh veggies/meat/deli/sodas) cheaper off base. But sometimes canned goods were ridiculously cheap. And the Filipino Mafia. Yeah. Definitely a thing.

Navy and Marine Corps Exchanges are still the land of the Filipino, just what it is.

Army has Koreans and snaggle toothed Germans. Rarely do good looking Germans marry Americans, so they are pretty rough.
    We don't marry the best nor the brightest, but neither do they. I'm still happy with my Korean wife, 25 years so far.

I'm talking about smokes at the commissary, they pulled them early 2000s IIRC, because they were cutting into the profits at the PX and there was a big outcry the commissaries were subsidizing smoking. A carton at the commissary was at least $5 cheaper then, so around 20% less. They then put them back, but they're actually at PX prices because instead of coming through the commissary system they are provided through the Exchange system.

I'm talking about smokes at the commissary, they pulled them early 2000s IIRC, because they were cutting into the profits at the PX and there was a big outcry the commissaries were subsidizing smoking. A carton at the commissary was at least $5 cheaper then, so around 20% less. They then put them back, but they're actually at PX prices because instead of coming through the commissary system they are provided through the Exchange system.
    I must have missed that, but I have never smoked.

One has to shop carefully at the commissary. Many items can be had (fresh veggies/meat/deli/sodas) cheaper off base. But sometimes canned goods were ridiculously cheap. And the Filipino Mafia. Yeah. Definitely a thing.

yes Sir, this is the aboslute answer.

Filipinos never bothered me, as long as I wasn't writing their eval and being evaled by a Filipino E9.

I had a Master Chief's son that worked for me when I was an E-6. He didn't raise the kid in the US, he raised him in the Phillipines. Kid was 20 and learning to drive, super motivated, huge pain in the ass. I probably got my ass chewed by his dad 30 times over the phone.

The biggest problem is that as motivated as he was, he we had a lot of communication problems because his English skills were lacking.

I saw him 10 years later before I retired and he had become a chief.

I even joined Fil-Am in Sigonella because I needed brownie points for evaluations to be competiative.

Man I hate Evals.

Travis commissary is decent for dry goods, but we get meat and produce elsewhere....

I'm old enough to remember a carton of Marlbro Reds being $10 at the shoppette, and a case of beer costing the same. I quit smoking 8 years ago...when we came back to the states and a pack was ~$7

Reactions: Redmanss