• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes U.S. Optics LR17 vs. Nightforce NXS

houndog

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2005
Want to take advantage of some of the deals going on now and need a scope for the new bolt action rifle I've just put together - a Tikka 6.5cm in an XLR chassis. Currently only have access to a range with 300 yards and shoot at this distance pretty regularly. However soon will be moving out west where the local range goes out to 600 and hopefully will have a chance to shoot beyond that. Will be shooting steel plates and paper for groups, maybe eventually some PRS, but no hunting.

I've seen a few U.S. Optic scopes at my local range and looked through one. Like the reticles (don't want something too busy) and they just seem really well put together. Glass definitely better than the Leupolds/Nikons I have prior experience with. However, haven't really done any head to head comparison. I'm kind of leaning towards the U.S. Optic, but I know Nightforce also has an excellent reputation and could pick up an NXS for less money. Curious to hear from those who have experience with one, or even better, both scopes.

Nothing wrong with he Nightforce but of these two I prefer the USO on glass quality alone. Both track well and both are durable. The NXS line never had great glass (NF really upper their game with the Beast and ATACR lines), most other features are prettty similar. USOs glass is noticeably better in this race. My .02

OK, so one vote Nightforce and one Vote U.S. Optics. :)

King - Since you have had experience with both scopes could you elaborate on why you now only own NF?

Pfiddy - Thanks for your comments. I'd thought about ATACR as well, but that's a little more than I wanted to spend. The Beast is way out of my price range.

also note you have the older LR listed, not the new redesigned B scopes from USO. you may be able to get a deal on a LR, closeout, used, etc. NXS is still going, but not sure why with ATACR and SHV coming on.

Defuzer - I know that LR is a discontinued model and yes, you are correct I'm hoping to get a better deal because it's a closeout.

CBDR - I'm a little confused. Are you referring to me? If so, I can assure you I'm not a vendor and I'm trying to buy a scope, not sell one. Spend 20 seconds looking at my other posts and that should become pretty clear.

add a little more.. I have owned 3.8-22 USO, years ago, but ditched it switching over to mil reticles. Also, had NF F1 NXS mil-spec. both were great and no issues with either. might come down to either external specs (length, weight), or reticle preference. might reverse engineer from reticle decision and post a WTB in optics for sale section. someone is probably sitting on 17 or an older 3.8-22 and willing to part with cheap, same for NXS once you decide what specs you prefer.