• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes U.S. Optics

HOG0317

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'm thinking about buying a USO 3.2-17. I'm up in the air on whether to get the 44mm or 58mm objective. I'm gonna be putting it on a .308 bolt gun that I'm having made for me. I like the T-Pal because I'm used to using the S&B 3-12x50mm M8541 that we have on our M40A3's. I know they only offer the T-Pal with the 44mm lens. Is the light gathering of the 58mm worth the extra size? Is there any downside to the 58mm? Too much light transmission on a bright day? Do you honestly think I'd notice a difference between the S&B's 50mm and the USO 44mm? (I've never looked through a USO and won't be able to since I'm currently in Iraq). Also, I've heard the ERGO provides a clearer image since there's no extra lens that's necessary with the T-Pal. Is the ERGO's clarity worth having to reach to the front of the scope to adjust parallex? Is the clarity difference even noticeable? Lastly, does anyone know how many more mils of elevation I'd get if I went with the 34mm main tube over the 30mm? Thanks a lot! Sorry I'm a USO noob haha. -Mike

Re: U.S. Optics

Ok, thanks guys. I'm going to go with the 44mm obj. I think I'm just going to go with the 34mm tube. That way if I ever get a gun that'll shoot out past a 1000 yards I can just put that scope on it and have plenty of elevation and windage.

Does anyone actually notice a difference between the optical quality of the ERGO vs. the T-Pal? I really like the T-Pal, but if the clarity of the ERGO is noticably better I'll get the ERGO, even though it seems like it would be a bitch to reach to the front of a 16.5 inch scope while in the prone.

i dont think youll notice the difference in clarity, but i will say this. the ergo is easier to focus the objective but the tpal i faster for multible target engagement. then again if you set it at 300 it should work from 100 to 1000

Keep in mind when we used the M40A1 we had the fixed parallax set at 200 and just ran with it for 100-1000. No apparent problems for military type shooting. That may not be optimal for shooting bugholes, but who cares?

As you can see by the other thread I went with the 44mm Ergo. I went with the 30mm tube because even on a .308 it's got enough adjustment to get me past 1000. No drawback to the 34mm tube except a limited ring selection.

The ERGO is the best way to go, USO does it right with this model as true parallax is adjusted out by moving the objective lens and not some cheater lens in the middle... I like the ERGO, always have... that isn't to say you'll have more parallax with a side focus, I just think optically its a superior a system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that isn't to say you'll have more parallax with a side focus, I just think optically its a superior a system.</div></div>

You may not have more parallax error with the side focus when it's properly focused - but you will have a focus which is less forgiving. I found with the ERGO that for most shooting, I only needed two focus points - a short-range focus point and a long one.

The ERGO is much more forgiving.