• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

U.S. Veteran Faces Legal Action...

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">U.S. Veteran Faces Legal Action for Flying American Flag</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A retired U.S. Army chaplain is being threatened with legal action for flying the American flag in his front yard, the Daily Mail reports.

Fred Quigley, 77, of Macedonia, Ohio, a minister who served active duty during the Vietnam War, has been told by the homeowners’ association that his flag violates the property rules.

The association has offered to fly the flag at the entrance of the building development, but Quigley refused the offer.
“If they can dictate to me that I cannot fly an American flag in America, then, to me, the country is lost,” Mr. Quigley told the paper.

Quigley's lawyer Gerald Patronite said the association has no right to stop his client.

According to the Mail, Joseph Migliorini, the representative for the homeowners’ association and former mayor of Macedonia, which is between Cleveland and Akron, said he plans to take Quigley to court if the flagpole is not removed.

Migliorini said: “We just want the rules and regulations followed. “

Members of the local American Legion post joined Quigley last week in a flag-raising ceremony in protest at the association's policy.

Quigley said that he's been given until Monday to remove the flag, or legal action will be taken by the association.

"As a minister and a chaplain, I have fought for people," Quigley said. "Now I fight for myself."</div></div>

Source: Fox News

Re: U.S. Veteran Faces Legal Action...

What is this county coming to when a war veteran or any other american cant fly the flag in their own yard

We had a similar situation here in Richmond with a CMOH recipient Van Barfoote. Bunch of idiots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bshaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had a similar situation here in Richmond with a CMOH recipient Van Barfoote. Bunch of idiots </div></div>

Yep, the HOA never had aa chance. Govenor and 2 US Senators had their say.

When your biggest fear is the depreciation of the value of your home, there is no limit to the conformity to which you'll accept as reasonable, nor the stupidity you're willing to inflict on your less conforming neighbors.

I'm willing to bet there is a deed restriction that was agreed to, in writing, that was signed by the Chaplain at his closing.

I refuse to live in deed restricted communities. I framed, trimmed and built hundreds of houses in such communities all over the Tampa Bay area.

I hate these neighborhoods and dread going into them to visit friends, or to play golf, due to my big yap and the offensive things I say about how people gladly pay too much to live in a neighborhood where they live right on top of each other and piss and moan about the details of every neighbor's house, lawn, paint color, shrubbery, etc.

Sorry for the chaplain but unless there is a specific exemption for the Flag of our nation, I wonder how long it will be before Bruce and Nigel, next door, raise their rainbow flag.

I assume that the HOA covenants prohibit flying flags. I also assume the resident signed the agreement when he bought the house. So I don't see why he thinks he doesn't have to follow rules he agreed to when he moved in. Patriotism or prior service have no relevance here. It would be the same if the HOA rules prevented pink houses, and he decided to paint his house pink.

He shouldn't have moved in if he didn't want to follow the rules

I have a US flag in my yard because my HOA doesn't prohibit it, and I made sure of that BEFORE I moved in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyTrain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are his neighbors in all of this? I would erect a flag pole in my front yard and pay for my neighbors to put up flags in their yards to supoort this guy.

This country's become one big ass sheep pen. </div></div>

I would do the same!
Problem is people like you and me, are unfortunately few and far between now.

I support flying the flag 100%. However this is a case where there are covenants and HOA restrictions which the home owner is aware of, that he signed at the time of purchase.

Its like people moving next to a airport, then complain about the noise. Or like people moving next to a gun range, then trying to close it down. Don't move into the HOA if you do not like the rules. Else change the rules.

queequeg
I absolutely agree with you. We have quite a few of these "house farms" around Richmond, they are not neighborhoods, the people that live there hate their neighbors. I live in a neighborhood on the south side of the James river with a view of downtown. My house and most of the others are in the 100 year old range. We have front porches and sidewalks and old trees, neighbors stop and talk to you as they stroll around. I think I'd have to do away with myself if were forced to live in such a place.

By the way I thought the next door neighbors with the rainbow flag were Neal and Bob. LOL

First of all fuck HOAs. When my then girlfriend and now wife told me I had to ask the HOAs permission before I could build a gazebo in our backyard I lost my sauce. To have to ask permission to anything in your yard, even stuff that's not visible rubs me the wrong way.
To be asked to remove the flag of our nation regardless of HOA regulations should be an affront to all patriots. There is a distinct difference between protecting the look and value of a neighborhood and being an asinine weasel. The chaplain isn't right, but he isn't really wrong either; this isn't like painting your house magenta and parking every car you've ever owned in the front yard.

Someone get the names and phone #s of the HRO so we can voice an opinion, Fax would be great. MM

Its quite a mess, but then again a veteran who wants special allowance to break rules he signed BEFORE he moved in doesn't smack me as patriotism.

It is election season so perhaps some secure the base bloodsuck... ah politicians will beat their chests and try and outdo each other 'helping' but bottom line is don't live in the slaughter pen with the rest of the sheep.

Bless his little heart, he sure ought to be allowed to break the rules because of his service. Hell's Bells he should fire a Retreat Cannon @ 1630 and play To The Flag, or whatever that was over loudspeakers every night.

It is always hard to hear a fight over showing the flag but to my mind it is not the same as the white flight crowd demanding a dairy, pig farm or rifle range close because it hurts the value of their pressboard McMansions.

Oh well, my money is on politicians making great hay over this.

From my understanding, the problem isn't the flag, but the flag pole. Pretty sure his HOA doesn't have rules against flying a flag on a pole that is attached to the front of his house, rather than in his front yard.

It's a shitty deal, no doubt...but this is why you don't buy homes where they have HOA's. This has been rehashed time and again all over the country with HOA's. They are a whole lot like condo's when it comes to altering ANYTHING in your front yard, exterior of your home, etc.

Bolt-
I'll bet you a shiny nickle the Home Owners assoc is as conservative as they come. Don't be so quick to paint those you disagree with as liberal.

Just a thought