• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Uber screwed the pooch.

QuickNDirty

NaN
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2013
location location location

I wasn't sure at first. Driver said the other chick 'just walked out in front of her'.

It's clear from the video that this was not the case.

I would not have hit that woman. Not even if my windshield was covered in pollen and I'd just applied washing fluid to clear it, and shit was completely screwed.

Why? Because I don't text while driving. Instead, I pay attention.

But, then there's these asshole reporters...

'first known autonomous vehicle fatality' - Bullshit....

and that's not even the actual first one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
When the horse was being replaced people said the same thing. If you think they will stop development your crazy. Fact of the matter is most accidents are caused by human error, which this one was also.

I have never understood why someone would jaywalk if they were not 100% sure they would make it without a driver having to see them and give them some courtesy.

I see a time in 50 years when humans driving is against the law. It could be sooner but we were supposed to have flying cars by now. Reports of mosquitos hitting the lidar lenses and causing issues. Apparently right now everything has to be kept very clean. I would suspect the last 2% of true automation will be a bitch to figure out. And may never happen.

Could be texting...can you see a phone from the video? Possibly monitoring the test car also...it is a prototype.

Also, the person who got hit wasn't legally crossing.

I wasn't sure at first. Driver said the other chick 'just walked out in front of her'.

It's clear from the video that this was not the case.

I would not have hit that woman. Not even if my windshield was covered in pollen and I'd just applied washing fluid to clear it, and shit was completely screwed.

Why? Because I don't text while driving. Instead, I pay attention.

But, then there's these asshole reporters...

'first known autonomous vehicle fatality' - Bullshit....

and that's not even the actual first one.

That Tesla car killed the driver . Fuckin AI killing people already . Where the fuck was John Conner .

I really don’t like the idea of “ self driving cars”......for one reason

Because under certain circumstances..... the car will have to be programmed to kill someone.

In an event the car cannot stop in time, it is going to have to choose between hitting a pedestrian, oooor intentionally crashing to avoid hitting a pedestrian.... putting the driver at risk.

Also, my cell phone can’t send texts reliably... my gps is wrong 10% of the times.....and my computer crashes at least once a month......I don’t want to be in a 2 ton vehicle doing 60mph when the cars computer suddenly has a mishap

Reactions: Bender
I like the idea of self driving cars. I like it a lot. The people selling the idea of self driving cars, I don't like them very much. The people selling the idea of self driving cars are always saying dumb shit like, wow if you had a self driving car just think all the time in the car you could catch up on emails or you could read your kindle, or some other dumb shit.

I don't want to catch up on my email, If I wanted to read my kindle I would be in my living room. I want to look out the side window, I want to study the wood line to see if their is a nice buck standing just inside, I want to look at the clouds and see if my son is right that that cloud does look like a knight mounting his steed or is my daughter right when she says It looks like Cinderella talking to a mouse. Some times I want to take a nap. If ever I am old and infirm I like the idea of a car that takes me where I need to go even if I have forgotten why I am going there.

In the case of this crash it looks like the car outdrove its headlights then when the pedestrian was observed only braked a bit when it could easily have steered around the person. Very poorly programed.

In many ways , programming a car is harder than a drone . Far fewer obstacles for starters .
I think it would really shit me to ride in an automated car , I’d be looking for the gas and brake
all the time . An experienced human driver will exceed any software currently available many
times over .

Mcameron you are spot on , on several occasions , as a result of other drivers errors , I’ve had
to collide with the object causing the least risk to humans even, if that created the most
collateral damage . The LE at the last incident understood immediately when I explained ,
occupants of another very bent car were less understanding ... An automated vehicle may
have elected to run into the station wagon in front of me , resulting in the death of the 2
unrestrained children bouncing around in the back ...

Because under certain circumstances..... the car will have to be programmed to kill someone.

In an event the car cannot stop in time, it is going to have to choose between hitting a pedestrian, oooor intentionally crashing to avoid hitting a pedestrian.... putting the driver at risk.

Also, my cell phone can’t send texts reliably... my gps is wrong 10% of the times.....and my computer crashes at least once a month......I don’t want to be in a 2 ton vehicle doing 60mph when the cars computer suddenly has a mishap
What do you drive now? Average vehicle today has 14 computers. There has not been a mechanical linkage from the accelerator to the engine for 15 years on gas engines. About 22 years on diesel engines. Power steering now is electric. Had a ford the other day that would only idle as the computer did not like readings it was getting. Had a chevy two weeks ago that would randomly go from full power steering to no power steering and back to full in about 2 secs.
If you have never had a belt break or engine stall and lost powersteering and/or power brakes then you have never experienced a mechanical failure that will make your butt pucker.
We are spoiled with how reliable vehicles are. There was a time they were not. The 80's were horrible if you ask me.
The idea that is unsettling to me is a vehicle with NO controls for a human. But that will happen.
They talk of the day that no one will have a vehicle in their garage. That you will call/schedule a ride to were you need. Is that ride sharing service going to take me 200 miles in to the west desert to camp and rabbit hunt. Is it going to back up in my driveway, hook up my trailer with ATVs and take me where I want to so riding.

That’s why I like my old diesel Hilux for some jobs . Zero computers , analogue everything .
The newer vehicles I have need a laptop to figure out what’s up when they misbehave .

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
Oh and another thing. The manufacturers are trying and have succeed in geting laws passed that would not hold them liable for what automated vehicles do. This has been uber and google mostly. Ford, GM, toyota have not as far as I know.
This is utter bullshit. If I have no controls then it sure as hell is not my fault.
This accident is a perfect example. The autonomous part doesn't need headlights. They use thermal, radar, ladar. The car doesn't need headlights. The victim had already crossed 3 lanes of traffic. While the victim was an idiot and was probably would have gotten hit by a regular car due to reaction time and not being in the headlights until the last sec. BUT the vehicle should have seen the victim, and once the data is examined i will bet you that it did. But did nothing.
in japan it is against the law for ANY car to be able to exceed 111.8 mph (180 kph). The nissain GTR will do almost 200mph. The nissian GTR is so advanced that it has every race track in the world programmed into its GPS. Once the car is driven on to race track property the speed limiter is automatically removed. (USA GTRs dont have a speed limiter i believe).
If the road the UBER car was on was programmed as a limited access highway then the car could have been programmed to ignore cross "traffic" as it should not exist. Murphy's law rises to the top.

Last edited:
Brilliant. Walking the bike across between streetlights where it's darkest, and wearing black. I agree that a person driving COULD have swerved, but I doubt you could nail your brakes fast enough.

I would have thought that proximity sensors facing forward in a self driving car would be elementary and mandatory. It should have been an automatic brake when it sensed something in the path of the car. Why does it only see in the visual spectrum? Shouldn't it see infrared and a bunch of others? Why limit it to our limitations?

Just random thoughts...

^^Not only that , but if you run it on the track , you may be up for a full service including
all engine , diff , gearbox , brake / steer fluids to be replaced , or you lose your warranty.
Apparently the brake discs are very expensive ... New Rolls gearbox is linked to GPS so it can
downshift for you on tricky roads ...
EDIT : in reply’s to 2nd’s post about Nissan GTR .

Reactions: 2ndamendfan

My thoughts exactly...

How do you program judgement? You can’t.
What is the decision tree algorithm used? That is a trade secret.
Etc, etc

I see a time in 50 years when humans driving is against the law. It could be sooner but we were supposed to have flying cars by now. Reports of mosquitos hitting the lidar lenses and causing issues. Apparently right now everything has to be kept very clean. I would suspect the last 2% of true automation will be a bitch to figure out. And may never happen.

If I'm still alive I'll be an outlaw. I'm addicted to high Gs, big cams, and naturally breathing monsters. If it's a nice day I have to open up a vein and main line oil, tar, gasoline, and fire.

IMG_0632.JPG

With hackers out there who can break into the CIA, what are the odds some script-kiddie will run you into a bridge abutment for shits and giggles?

Reactions: Fig
Brilliant. Walking the bike across between streetlights where it's darkest, and wearing black. I agree that a person driving COULD have swerved, but I doubt you could nail your brakes fast enough.

I would have thought that proximity sensors facing forward in a self driving car would be elementary and mandatory. It should have been an automatic brake when it sensed something in the path of the car. Why does it only see in the visual spectrum? Shouldn't it see infrared and a bunch of others? Why limit it to our limitations?

Just random thoughts...
they dont use anything in the visual spectrum for operations. The video you see is just for security/analysts when something goes wrong. They are still in experimental stage. Uber and others fully expect(ed) someone else to be at fault if/when an accident occurs(ed).
I am going to correct myself just a touch. Some systems do use visual systems for lane detection (but that seems to be going away). But nothing uses visual spectrum for object detection.

What do you drive now? Average vehicle today has 14 computers. There has not been a mechanical linkage from the accelerator to the engine for 15 years on gas engines. About 22 years on diesel engines. Power steering now is electric. Had a ford the other day that would only idle as the computer did not like readings it was getting. Had a chevy two weeks ago that would randomly go from full power steering to no power steering and back to full in about 2 secs.
If you have never had a belt break or engine stall and lost powersteering and/or power brakes then you have never experienced a mechanical failure that will make your butt pucker.
We are spoiled with how reliable vehicles are. There was a time they were not. The 80's were horrible if you ask me.
The idea that is unsettling to me is a vehicle with NO controls for a human. But that will happen.
They talk of the day that no one will have a vehicle in their garage. That you will call/schedule a ride to were you need. Is that ride sharing service going to take me 200 miles in to the west desert to camp and rabbit hunt. Is it going to back up in my driveway, hook up my trailer with ATVs and take me where I want to so riding.
2017 tacoma and a 1999 cherokee (all mechanical)

however........while the engine tuning and accelerator may be electronic........the steering and more importantly, the brake pedal are not.

if the computer fucks up and my accelerator doesnt work.....thats not going to cause a horrible accident......as you can still steer and stop the car.

if the computer controlling the decision to turn the wheel and stop the car fucks up.......its going to kill someone....and theres going to be nothing you can do about it.

i actually had the electronic throttle linkage fuck up on me in my last car (2013 mini cooper s).......the throttle kept cutting in and out........however i was able to safely control the car and make it to work without issue (the fact that it was a manual helped)

A lot of the new semis on the road today will automatically reduce speed if you're using cruise and are closer than a 4 second following distance. Sure does piss a guy off when everyone cuts you off on an open stretch of road and it is constantly backing down.

There are a couple companies out now that can break the vehicle by itself if it "sees" a possible collision. I'll say they find some sensor failed. These automated vehicles only need headlights so other cars can see them. They have no need to actually see things in the visual spectrum of light.

2017 tacoma and a 1999 cherokee (all mechanical)

however........while the engine tuning and accelerator may be electronic........the steering and more importantly, the brake pedal are not.

if the computer fucks up and my accelerator doesnt work.....thats not going to cause a horrible accident......as you can still steer and stop the car.

if the computer controlling the decision to turn the wheel and stop the car fucks up.......its going to kill someone....and theres going to be nothing you can do about it.

i actually had the electronic throttle linkage fuck up on me in my last car (2013 mini cooper s).......the throttle kept cutting in and out........however i was able to safely control the car and make it to work without issue (the fact that it was a manual helped)

http://autoweek.com/article/technology/electric-brakes-are-coming-to-your-car

Dont get rid of the jeep anytime soon.