• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UFC 175 this Saturday!

--BLACKOUT--

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2011
    Silver City, New Mexico
    Who's going to watch the fights this weekend? Chris Weidman vs Lyoto Machida and Rhonda Rousey vs Alexis Davis! Both fights have the belts on the line.

My picks are Weidman will retain his belt and Davis will make Rowdy Rhonda look human.

Who you got?

Also, Sunday is the 3rd fight between Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn, should be a great fight.

Happy 4th of July to all of you! Enjoy the fights!

imo that is women have no place in the ufc. There are not enough elite female fighters to fill a weight division. So you wind the with scrub fighters w/ 3-4 fights, fighting for the belt. Call me a sexist but I dont believe it is a good product

It has to start somewhere. Just like the early guys in the UFC, they all thought they could fight but only a few were actually real fighters.

What's wrong with women fighting? It's OK for men but not the opposite sex? It's entertaining and Rhonda is a beast in a mediocre weight class... So what?! I watch girl's fight more than I watch them play basketball, that's for sure!

Poor Stefan Struve. I don't think I've ever seen anybody more invested in being an MMA fighter. Just 26 years old and he's already got 30+ pro fights, 13 in the UFC. Some reports are he's only had 60% heart function until just recently. He could be a monster if they'd get his heart fixed. And if he could learn to deal with the fireplug heavyweights, like Mark Hunt.

Uriah Hall put up a hell of a fight. Bookies had him the underdog, but he dominated the fight with an open fracture of the toe. Props to the doctor for letting him continue (with a bone sticking out of his foot).

That Machida is one cagey fighter. The only answer he had for Weidman was the left hook, and even that was nowhere to be seen in the first three rounds, but he kept his chances alive all the way to the final bell. But he's got a tough row to hoe before he can get back the the queue for another title shot.

I would agree that women's UFC is not a good product at the moment, but that doesn't keep R3 from being its biggest draw. UFC 174 sold fewer than 100,000 PPVs. Rousey alone is good for twice that.

And I don't think Dana understands how much of that stems from her sex appeal. Mighty Mouse might be the most complete fighter in MMA today, but he doesn't give as many fans a boner as Rousey does.

17zqa1bsbipjbjpg.jpg

Cage Potato shows why flyweights got no gate

And R3's appearance money is substantially less than what Dana pays the top men, so she's a bargain to boot. Cormier's appearance money for UFC 170 was 30% more than R3's, despite the fact that he's never held a title and 170 was her second title defense (third, if you count her inaugural UFC fight, when she was "gifted" the belt). Machida's appearance money last night (former LH champ) probably was more than Rousey's total payday. She's Dana's 24-hour ATM.

I was reading an editorializing fight report at the Bleacher Report this morning saying that the growth of her skill sets since coming to the UFC has been unmatched by any current fighter except Jonny Bones Jones. I'm inclined to agree. For her last two fights, she has focused on developing striking power, then and entered cage with the intention of ending them both with blows. She had to have rehearsed that finishing move last night a thousand times in practice, and it went exactly as scripted. Body blow, hip throw, headlock, face bash. Probably the only woman fighter in the world she couldn't have beaten (before) with her arm bar was Chris Cyborg. Now she's got a little sumpin' sumpin' for Cyborg, too. And I suspect that was her whole point. To be able to stand and bang with the Cyborg. That could be the Frazier-Ali I of women's MMA.

But Dana definitely has failed to furnish a pool of credible competition for her. After a total of four UFC fights, the best they could come up with was a 20:1 underdog?. Granted Davis had improved to just 10:1 by fight time, but when have you ever seen a men's title fight at 10:1? So he looks to be front-loading the new strawweight division. There's 16 fighters in the house for TUF 20. But that brings me back to the whole sex appeal thing.

At least if they had gone up a weight class from Rousy to middleweight, there'd be some B-cup boobies, and the occasional C-cup (Gina Carano). The strawweights are so diminutive, they look like 12-year old boys with tattoos and bad haircuts. I don't think the increased depth of the field will overcome their lack of sex appeal, so I don't see them faring any better at the gate than the flyweight men. Any up-tick in gate will only lasts as long as the novelty does.

Be honest, men love women's beach volleyball, but the reason why ain't got nothing to do with the volleyball. The biggest reason men like women's MMA is we harbor the secret dream the fighting will transition into a make-up sex lez-fest. Except nobody wants to watch two 12-year-olds munching carpet. Except maybe Ellen Degenerate.

EDIT:
    Payroll for UFC 175 is out. Rousey's appearance money was only $5k more than for UFC 170. Faber and Mitrione were paid the same as she ($60k), and Struve was paid $20k more, and those last two guys never stepped in the cage. Machida's appearance money was more than 3x Rousey's.

Girl needs a sharper business manager.

EDIT II:
    Live gate for UFC 175 was $4.4 million.

Last edited:
    Rousey is truly dominant, the problem is she is going to dominate herself right out of the UFC. She is going to ruin the women's division because no one else is competition. I think she would have beat a couple of the 135lb. men non problem. She is going to become a sideshow. Either that or she will get busted for doping, not saying that she does, but she's pretty thick and strong in my opinion. I really hope she's not. She actually knocked that other gal out with the shot to the temple and if she would have stood back instead of thrown her she would have fallen down anyway. It was a perfect powerful punch that landed right on top of the head. The gals legs were gone and she was out when Rhonda threw her. The face pounding was icing on the cake and the ref was right to stop it.

Rousey vs cyborg. That's the only fight for rousey. That's if cyborg gives up the roids. Rousey'a standup technique is still very green as she keeps her head up engaging in strikes. She would get overwhelmed by cyborg in the standup. But if rousey can get the fight to the ground it will be her world.

Funny how Dana said women will never fight in the UFC when cyborg was the reigning champ. (Cause she fugly) but then a cute girl like rousey comes along and Dana got a boner. It will be in Dana and UFC best interest to keep cyborg out. Don't want another Gina carrano to get mauled.

Last edited:
    JBNj said it all. The UFC will not, under any circumstances, put Cyborg on contract to fight Rhonda. They saw what happened to Gina and will not let it happen to Rousey. Also, Cyborg hasn't even fought at 135 yet to see A) if she can make it, and B) how she feels fighting at that weight. Right now, Rowdy is the Royce Gracie of the 135 division... They will get better.

The rest off the women's division needs to change their attitude. Rhonda makes it personal and she's out for blood... and the girls are lax and have the "happy to be here" attitude that will not work. Someone will come a long and give her a battle, we just gotta wait and see. Maybe Kat Cingano has what it takes. She tko'd Meisha after losing the first 2 rounds... Yes, I know... Meisha ain't Rhonda.

I agree with sisco, i fast forward through the girl fights. So lame and sloppy. They may someday have a place inside the cage, but only if they add a kitchen:)

Lol I return to this thread to see i am the torch bearer for women suppression! I just dont think there are enough women on the elite level to fill a division. It is boring, but the UFC has that problem across the sport.

Cyborg is a loudmouth that won't make weight at 135. She was ripped at 144.5 for Carano-- another 10 pounds would really weaken her.
    Cyborg has been juicing for quite some time. If she let off the roids surely she would make 135 easily. It all depends if how much of a crutch the juice has been.

Lol I return to this thread to see i am the torch bearer for women suppression! I just dont think there are enough women on the elite level to fill a division. It is boring, but the UFC has that problem across the sport.

Good thing the UFC didn't close their doors after a 170lb guy won the first two events. Good thing Zuffa bought the UFC when it wasn't even allowed on ppv and made it what it is today. If it is so boring, why do you bother watching it and why bother posting in this thread? Is it that you just like to complain?

Lastly, please enlighten us on how anything becomes elite without first starting at the bottom?

Honestly I have not bought a UFC ppv in a long while. Imo the entire sport has lost stream. Injuries, the "stars" getting old and bowing out have hurt them. I understand that Rousey is their biggest draw. I just don't enjoy watching the women's division. I just loosely follow cause Ima sports guy. Im not saying they are not making money. It's just hard to watch at times, thats why I don't buy. I watch and mostly enjoy the fights on Fox and Bellator, maybe because if it sucks Im not 60 bucks down the tubes.

UFC 176 has been cancelled, on account of Jose Aldo's neck problem.

Lorenzo Fertitta mentioned that Rousey broker her hand on Davis' face. I don't think it was related to the severed cyst (unlike Uriah Hall's toe, not an open fracture). R3's manager says she could fight Cyborg with one hand and still would knock her out.

In the post-UFC 175 press scrum, I think Dana set the stage for R3-vs-Cyborg. When the press started needling him about the lack of competition in the UFC for Rousey, and implying that Cyborg was the only obvious solution, he essentially told them, "Well all right, just don't you guys give me any shit about steroids if I sign her."

Cyborg has been juicing for quite some time. If she let off the roids surely she would make 135 easily. It all depends if how much of a crutch the juice has been.
    There's mounting evidence that you never lose all the benefits from being juiced. So I think there should be a zero tolerance policy with women fighters who test positive for anabolics. From that point forward, make 'em fight men.

The interesting thing with Holly is that she has a 70" reach while Rhonda has a 66" reach. Now, the 4 inches mean shit if Rousey gets a hold of her and takes her down and her long arms will become a negative if she ends up on her back. If Holm can keep her away, stuff some takedowns, and use her reach... We could have a very interesting fight. Holly needs to win 2 fights to be ready for Rowdy.

Also, for her next fight Cyborg is cutting to 135lbs and if she does well it could mean the UFC could possibly sign her by the end of the year.

Ali Bagautinov was on EPO at UFC 174 but he lost to Mighty Mouse anyway. Bloody Elbow is reporting his pre-fight control was positive.

First Sonnen, now Bagautinov. Belfort wasn't popped for EPO but one of those privately-administered labs his people released to prove he was back on the straight and narrow showed he'd had an abnormal HCT. The test score was blacked out but I figured them he was switching from Test to EPO, from strength to endurance.

Fighters don't seem to have caught on to Dr Michelle Ferrari's microdosing technique. The cyclists who it was created for say you can't fail a blood test unless you first fail an IQ test. But now that we know EPO is in the UFC, the question becomes, how pervasive is it?

My guess is pretty damn.

I'd almost forgotten about The Axe Murderer's dodged test. Now the Nevada AG formally has asked NSAC to go after him for their out of pocket expenses. Plus whatever else NSAC might deem "just and proper."

I can't imagine NSAC wouldn't add another log to the fire for their own troubles. And the way Dana spoke of it, I'm pretty sure he's used whatever influence he might have with both groups to encourage them to be as harsh as possible.

And NSAC is threatening to sue Sonnen if he wrestles at Metamoris 4 in LA.

And now Michael Bisping is whining about his losses to Silva, Sonnen and Belfort all being because they were juiced and he was 'clean.'

I almost forgot about the whole Wanderlie, ran from, piss test. I think they are going to give him a pass because of who he used to be. Dana loves him because he is reckless in the cage and people like seeing him fight. They already swung the hammer on Chael and Vitor can't fight till December... What a punishment for someone who said he took a double dose of TRT right to NSAC. Technically, Silva didn't fail, so why level any punishment since Vitor got basically a warning.

The "Axe Murderer" is on the very tail end of his career and any lengthy suspension all but ends his career. Dana will assist Wand in getting a pass and take the last few fights he has left, pay him and then be done with him.

Did you see the Jones/DC scuffle? Do you think it was planned or was it some real shit?

Last edited:
    That was one hell of a dust-up. On the one hand, making it personal is really going to boost the PPV sales. I know a lot of fans regret they didn't get to see Sonnen and Silva settle it in the ring, and they've all still got their blood lust up. Then again, there was always risk of an injury to one of the fighters when they fell off that stage and crashed into the press's chairs. And you've got to consider the risk to all the strap-hangers on stage with you as well. But on the other hand, that little kerfuffle made Dana a whole lotsa money.

Personally, I'm pretty convinced those two hate each other, pretty in-fucking-tensely. Do I don't think it was a put-on.

EDIT:
    According to MMA Payout, the UFC is reviewing the tape and looking at maybe some fines, but that's about all.

It's pretty clear to me that Jones made first contact, but the question is, will UFC view Cormier's response as excessive or inviting further escalation. From one camera angle there's supposed to be shots of Jones's manager rabbit-punching Cormier. If so, the fighters might not be the only ones getting fined.

Sonnen is asking Randy Couture, of all people, to take his fight at Metamoris 4.

Not relevant to this thread but as we seem to be branching out to all MMA matters, Brock Lesnar's manager says his diverticulitis finally is completely cured, and he might want back in the cage if the right situation arises. He's not using his illness as an excuse for the loss to Overeem, says that kick would have dropped anybody.

And Overeem says if Lesnar does come back, he wants some of that. But if Overeem doesn't find somebody he can beat pretty soon, he might have to look to Bellator to get his rematch.

Last edited:
    If I'm not mistaken, Rousey v Tate was helped by a strong undercard. Male title fights are going the way of boxing with weak undercards relying on the main event to carry the load. The UFC is pushing hard for Ronda to be thee star but an organization shouldn't have to work so hard to have/make a star.

That being said... She can fight, has fought often and looks for the finish every single time. Other champs should take notes. The future is cloudy though, she's getting into acting and has 3 movies done already. Will she leave like Gina did? Speaking of Carano, the UFC is looking to give her an immediate title shot when/if they sign her. WTF? She hasn't fought in 5 years and now Rousey/UFC is pushing the, "Gina is her toughest match up" bullshit. Conveniently leaving out Cyborg Santos, who smashed Gina and sent her to Hollywood. The UFC is getting dangerously close to doing WWE type shit by the day.

Last edited:
    Based on my personal review of "Expendables 3," I don't think she should count on her in-box being flooded with film offers. Not so much that she did a bad job as I thought some/all of her scenes were just horribly directed. And they gave her the stupidest lines in the whole film. And when you're in a movie with Stallone, Statham, Schwarzenegger, Lundgren and Snipes, there's some fierce fucking competition for that honor.

Even Randy Couture (in real life, not in Expendables 3) agrees it's silly to pit Carano against R3 right out of the blocks.

I had a moment of enlightenment a few days ago, and it finally hit me who R3 reminds me of when she's got on her fierce face:

Pouty-Face2.jpg

This is too rich.

Wanderlei Silva skipped his come to jesus meeting with NSAC and found a lawyer to file a motion to dismiss on the grounds the NSAC lacks the jurisdiction to discipline him because when he dodged the OOC drug test, he didn't hold a valid Nevada state fighting license.

Last edited:
    This is too rich.

Wanderlei Silva skipped his come to jesus meeting with NSAC and found a lawyer to file a motion to dismiss on the grounds the NSAC lacks the jurisdiction to discipline him because when he dodged the OOC drug test, he didn't hold a valid Nevada state fighting license.

I read this earlier on mmaweekly and laughed. Silva is a legend, but his antics in the last couple years are really hurting his image.

I honestly think he's been on PED's since he started in Pride, over in Japan. He was king there for a long time and even fought heavyweights. It's a known fact that Pride FC didn't test for anything and even encouraged the use of PEDs. Since coming to the UFC, he's been labeled too small for 205 and then could barely hold his own water at 185. So, how does the King of 205 all of a sudden start having wars with fringe top 10 185ers?

Don't forget, he tested himself and told NSAC that he was clean and that they should license him... But first said he's not good at English and thus dodged the test, then admitted using a diuretic (PED). I don't care much either way, he's done.

New Video Log @MMAFighting. Definitley worth 7 minutes if you're a UFC fan. Shows Uriah Hall reacting (with agony) as the doctor reduces his fractured toe (took more than one attempt :-0 ), Stefan Struve in tears after being told he can't fight Matt Mitrione, and Mitrione, first incredulous the fight is canceled, then compassionately consoling Struve. And Dana on camera with Lorenzo Fertitta at the instant Joe Rogan goes full-goose dumbass during the post-fight interview with R3 and asks her to commit to fight again on 2 August.

Can't wait for Saturday night and the (first) Dillishaw/Barao rematch. I was stunned the way Dillishaw dominated the first fight, but Barao says he got tagged in the first round and didn't remember anything else until he was in the dressing room. Should be a barn-burner.

Can't wait for Saturday night and the (first) Dillishaw/Barao rematch. I was stunned the way Dillishaw dominated the first fight, but Barao says he got tagged in the first round and didn't remember anything else until he was in the dressing room. Should be a barn-burner.

Sucks that Barao withdrew due to passing out during his weight cut. This was already one of the weakest PPV cards that I could remember, and now it has really gone down the crapper. They replaced Barao with a fighter from the undercards so it will be interesting to see how he does against Dillishaw I suppose. Regardless this is one PPV I will not be purchasing or going to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch so I'll check out the results Sunday morning.

Sucks that Barao withdrew due to passing out during his weight cut. This was already one of the weakest PPV cards that I could remember, and now it has really gone down the crapper. They replaced Barao with a fighter from the undercards so it will be interesting to see how he does against Dillishaw I suppose. Regardless this is one PPV I will not be purchasing or going to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch so I'll check out the results Sunday morning.

Exactly my thoughts on this card. The UFC needs to step it up big time with their cards for ppv. I used to buy every single card and then they started this shit with cards lookin like boxing cards. Title fight and a bunch of no namers. I watch UFC as Mich as I can but I will not fork over money for crap fights just because it's the UFC.

Side note, I think weight cutting is stupid bullshit anyway. The UFC wants to be different from boxing but uses shit like this because we're trying to be a legit sport. I might just resort to watching the Fox cards for free and say fuck ppv.

It's not clear why Barao was pulled. I'm pretty sure he didn't withdraw. I've heard Dana say matter-of-factly he (Dana) did it, and in other conversations he spoke as if their medical authority (whoever that is) pulled him. He often speaks in fluent gibberish. Dana also said both Renan and Aldo cut too much weight, aren't known for doing it intelligently, and tend to put themselves in a pinch in the doing.

UFC 178 is turning in to a bunch of no-names, too.

First it was supposed to be the Jones/Gustaffson rematch. Then Gus got hurt, so they subbed Cormier. Then Bones tore a meniscus, so he's out, too, leaving Mighty Mouse as the sole headliner at 178. And his last title fight sold <100,000 PPVs.

So they rescheduled Jones/Cormier for (IIRC) UFC 182 in January. Except Jones/Cormier only came about because Gus got hurt and wouldn't be healthy in time for 178. He'll be GTG well before UFC 182. And Gus is still ranked the #1 LHW contender. And he's pissed, because he thinks he should have necks against Jones.

But Dana says no fucking way. There's already too much hype about the Jones/Cormier fight, too many PPVs to be sold. So Gus is standing around with his thumb up his ass. He's said publicly he won't fight again until he gets Jones, but what's he going to do instead, ask to be released from his contract and go to Bellator? Rumble Johnson called him out, basically saying there's no one else in the weight division who is a challenge to either one of them, so they should gofer it.

I think it'd be one hell of a fight. Probably better than Jones/Cormier.

BTW, you guys hear UFC says they're going to start full-time out of competition drug testing for all their fighters? On hearing the news, I'm sure Lance Armstrong's phone started ringing off the wall, with probably 450 of UFC's 500 fighters trying to buy his secret undetectable doping process.

Either Dana thinks we're all stupid, or he's the stupid one, because there's no one on earth who has an effective system for catching the PEDs cheats. The doping technology just outclasses the anti-doping technology. Everybody thought it would change the sport (or at least cycling) when Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis told the world how Lance had been doing it, but that was a pipe dream. Last year the WADA administered about 9000 drug controls on behalf of the UCI, and they had 91 positives. 91!!! And the TdF hasn't slowed one wit, so it's pretty certain they're just as doped as they were 10 years ago, they've just changed to different tactics and techniques. But WADA and the UCI want us to believe only 1% of pro cyclists are dirty.

Dana says he's doing it because the OOC testing could save him the hassle of fight cards being disrupted by a fighter getting popped after the bout is scheduled. Which means he thinks the threat of OOC testing will dissuade them all from doping. If even he believes that, he's the lonely little petunia in the onion patch.

They could stop the weight-cutting nonsense by making the fighter subject to a surprise weight-check the last 30 days before the fight. Incorporate it into the OOC testing program. Give 'em 5 lbs over until the pre-fight weigh-in (to allow for a big meal). That would make them maintain fight weight (+5 lbs) for a month. No more walking around 30# over fight weight.

EDIT:
    In the interview during 177, Barao said his walking-around weight is 70 kilos (154#), which his interpreter did not repeat. Later, he said he cuts 10 kilos (22#), which his interpreter did repeat, which is consistent with what he'd said earlier.

I don't know, I'm asking. Do you find it credible that he only cuts 20#? Especially since he and Aldo (@145) supposedly are the same weight, and Barao only went to 135 so the two would't be opponents. I remember R3 cutting 18# like it was nuttin' on TUF. Dana was pretty emphatic that they both were cutting a ridiculous amount of weight.

EDIT II:
    Well, crap. Soto was putting up one hell of a fight, considering he didn't know this fight was coming two days ago. Hate to see him getting dain bramaged like that, but the decision wasn't in much doubt.

Last edited:
    Wanderlei Silva has "retired" from MMA. His lawyer kept crowing that NSAC had no authority to sanction his client because he wasn't licensed to fight in Nevada at the time of the infraction. And his come-to-jesus was scheduled for 23 Sep.

From a video on the 'wandfightteam' YouTube channel: "My career is over. Because I don't have a stage to perform, where the athletes get the proper respect. For these reasons, I have had enough."

What fucking melodrama.

BTW, did you hear Mark Hunt showed up for his training camp for Saturday morning's Fight Night 52 (in Japan) at a scale-bursting 340? The day before the weigh-in, they reported he still was at 283. And he weighed in at 264. Roy Nelson probably wishes they could have a catch-weight fight at 300.