• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Ugly ass recovery (formerly Scared shitless)

long range sponge

Not quite OAF, more App-erator AF
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Springfield OH
Scheduled to go under the knife on Tuesday. I've never had surgery so I figured I'd make my first one a doozie. Having C4-C5 and C6-C7 disk replacements. Surgeon wanted to do a 3 level fusion but I quickly and politely told him to fuck right off. Wondering if any of you have had disk replacements, specifically cervical spine. What limitations am I looking at? I know replacements are supposed to be significantly better than fusions but still. I'm a nervous fucking wreck. Someone talk me down off the ledge. Lol.

Attachments

• 20200914_085042.jpg
    20200914_085042.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 277
Good on ya', for getting in there and getting it done. Definitely, have Faith in what you believe, as well as in your surgeon and his team. I can honestly say, that things (medical) are SO MUCH BETTER today than they were 20 years ago. And that 20 years ago they were able to do things that couldn't be done 10 years before that.

There really are some 'magical' abilities able to be performed by GREAT medical team's.... and I'm not just saying "the surgeon" is responsible or gets all the credit. The whole team in the cutting room, as well as all their teammates leading into it AND after it.....

Get in there, get re-built, and come out better than what you were ever expecting!

I'll leave it for others to jump in here and say "dibbs" on your gun collections.... HA.

• Haha
Reactions: long range sponge
Good luck bud and don't worry too much. Two years ago I had my right side carotid artery opened up and scraped out (god damn cigarettes). Was very apprehensive about getting my neck sliced open but all went extremely well and I'm good to go and also quit smoking before the surgery so tobacco free for about a year and a half.

Damn brother. Based on that MRI pic, bet you have been feelin crappy for a good bit.

Best advice is wean off the frickin opiods as quick as possible.
You will have pain. The idea is to keep it manageable and heal.
Too much pain is crippling too, and your body wont do as well.

Follow Docs advice and take it easy.

Give it the appropriate time for stuff to return to “normal”.
Your doc should have given a pretty realistic idea of how long it takes, but nerves arent “back to normal” instantly after pressure removed.
Have had many folks who had a a TON of pain relief quick. Lots with more pain from bone harvest at the hip than surgical site, or Sore Throat from intubation and moving stuff around in the anterior neck for access.

PM if you wanna chat. Happy to answer questions best I can.

And, will be praying for you on top of it!!

I've been through some heart stuff. Freeze nodes, burn nodes, turn it off, turn it back on, simple things. Laying on the table I realized every single person around wanted nothing else than to make me better. For that short time I was the most important thing in their world and they would do anything humanly possible for a successful outcome.

I was good with that.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Mr. Sponge;

I can only echo what has been said already. Surgeries in every medical field have improved by quantum leaps in just the past few years. You will be fine. My prayers go out for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Scheduled to go under the knife on Tuesday. I've never had surgery so I figured I'd make my first one a doozie. Having C4-C5 and C6-C7 disk replacements. Surgeon wanted to do a 3 level fusion but I quickly and politely told him to fuck right off. Wondering if any of you have had disk replacements, specifically cervical spine. What limitations am I looking at? I know replacements are supposed to be significantly better than fusions but still. I'm a nervous fucking wreck. Someone talk me down off the ledge. Lol.
It honestly wasnt that bad. However when you wake up you will be screaming for pain meds.

That out of the way I think it was my best decision to have the surgery. I had C3-T1 replaced and fused both anterior and posterior. Immediately after I woke up I had zero pain in my arms and shoulders. It was amazing.

It took about 2 months for the major pain from the surgery to go away and being back up on my feet again.

Was in a c-collar for about 7 weeks amd was hard to swallow food and talk. I lost 42 pounds because I was only able to drink protein shakes.

Here are some pics. First two are pre surgery and last two are post surgery.

You will be good. I promise.

Doc

IMG-20200108-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200108-WA0001.jpg
20200527_110705.jpg
20200527_110616.jpg

The doc recommended 3 levels because you need three levels. If you trust him to do two, do three. Don’t let your fear cause you to make foolish choices.
Check this: You are under anesthesia, he’s already cutting and scraping and replacing and putting in appliances, so all the risks are already being taken. why make your surgeon do a half-ass job?
After closing and leaving one level undone, that level is going to still be giving you problems. Going in twice when he was already in there simply adds to the risk. Going in twice also doubles the pain duration and doubles the recovery. That like doing an engine rebuild and saying “I’ll change the piston rings some other time”
I’ve had my neck done, my wife has too.
Think it over.

Prayers for you. Once they ask you to count down while on the table, you're in their hands. I've had a number of operations and have another set up for this Wednesday. I don't worry about it anymore. I either wake up or I don't.

Just do as they tell you and don’t breathe though the pain after. Rest up and heal fast. I’m looking at surgery no 2 because I was a hard head and got after it too soon.

You’re in my family’s prayers.

Holy shit! Never expected this response. I appreciate everything! @Sean the Nailer I've already discussed with my wife that if anything goes awry, she is to log on here and put my guns for sale on the Hide. I know y'all will do her right. Lol.

Grab a drink and a snack, this is a little lengthy. This all started in May of '19. Went to Thunder Valley with some friends. Layed my rifle on the ground, got down and raised my head to settle in. It was like I got electrocuted. Tingling and sensitivity from the neck down. Went away after a couple hours. Doc said that C4-C5 was likely bulging and I moved too fast. Squished the disk and it essentially punched my spinal cord. I tried going to the chiropractor and it helped for a while. I've known that I need surgery since last November. BUT while I was gearing up to handle this, my wife got diagnosed with endometrial cancer. After her hysterectomy on 12/26 the oncologist said no radiation or chemo was necessary. We took a while to recover from that ordeal and my mother-in-law died of a massive heart attack on 3-17... the day after my father-in-law's birthday. I got caught up helping deal with the aftermath of that (tons of shit to get rid of and being there emotionally for everyone) when her dad breaks his fucking foot in late May and winds up with pneumonia from sitting around. We move in with him and start to get things squared away when... cancer diagnosis number 2 happens on 9-1. Oh, I forgot to mention, Fucking Covid! Anyway. She's done with her radiation and now it's my turn. Finally. They say hindsight is 2020. Bullshit! I never want to look back on 2020.

As far as the 2 level replacements vs 3 level fusion, we discussed my options. I work in EMS and drive a ton. Running lights and siren increases the risk of an accident significantly. Replacements allow more range of motion. I will also be back to work much sooner. He agrees that a 3 level fusion puts me at higher risk of deterioration of the adjacent levels. So he will have to go back in later no matter what. With the 2 level replacements, I mostly have to worry about C5-C6. He can do a fusion of that area later. Since I'll already have the replacements in both adjacent levels, I'm less likely to have complications with them. I trust my doc. He was recommended by one of the physicians that started the pediatric ortho dept at Dayton Children's. The same doc that put rods and screws in my son. Pics included.

Again, you all have been amazingly supportive and I will definitely post updates.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180602-094425_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-094425_Facebook.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20180601-113849_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180601-113849_Gallery.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 62

I had 2 Bryant discs installed a few years ago at C5-6 andC6-7. Collapsed discs caused the loss of strength in my left arm. 3 days in the hospital. Hard collar for a month, no lifting, etc. Another month in the collar as a reminder. Skied with grandkids 2 months after surgery. 4 months to be on the job. A year to be back to full strength although a small muscle in my back never came back affecting my ability to draw my bow.

I was lucky to have one of the top surgeons in the world for this type of surgery within an hour’s drive. Probably a bigger deal than thought it was but being in Fire/EMS kind of numbs me to that kind of mindset. The thought of a fusion and the long term effects did not sit well with me.

Good luck. PM if you have questions.

I had my L4/L5 and L5/S1 done at a VA hospital in 2004...came out worse than when I went in.

It is the primary reason why I retired 100 percent disabled without having to play any of the PTSD or sleep apnea BS games.

I could literally write a book on that experience at the hospital...Here's to hoping you have a much better outcome than I did.

Best of luck with your procedure. Prayers for a speedy recovery and that you are back behind the rifle in short order.

I had a cyst to develop on my lower spine which was affecting my right leg. The doctor removed that and replaced a disc (l3, l4). 2 days in the hospital and they had me up and walking that first night. 3 months out of work and physical therapy. For me, they wanted me to do a lot of walking a little at a time. My back felt as good as new and I have a physical job. Follow ups for a year as they checked the healing process.

Heart attack and triple bypass in 1995; I can't remember which arteries, but the blockages were 98%, 95%, and 93%. I should have died two weeks earlier during a summer hike to Bumpus Hell in Lassen. I was 44 and thought I was too young. My "decision" to have surgery was 'forced' on me. I'd die without it. Ain't much to think about when you're there.

You've come to the point where you've got no choice but to trust someone else. Worrying about the procedure and outcome won't change anything, though in your case you might consider how extensive your repairs should be. If you trust the doctor enough to go to return appointments for his advice, follow it.

Save your psychological energy for the recovery PT. Don't fret over the small stuff; you've made the decision that you have to have surgery so figure out what should be done one time only and trust the guy you trusted who got you this far. If you have no choice, there's nothing gained by fretting over it. Psyche up for waking up after and grinding through the PT.

The "stressful" part-- making the decision to have surgery, is over. Circumstance has (it seems) forced you. Let it go.

I had 5 way bypass about 10 years ago and the miracle is that I didn't have a heart attack. I just felt that something wasn't right and went to my doctor. After doing an EKG, he sent me directly to a Cardiologist. He set my up for an emergency procedure the next day.

I woke up and he gave me the news. I was lucky to be alive. This was on a Friday and they wanted me to stay in the hospital until they could do the bypass procedure on Monday. I told them no and I had to sign a document that released them from any responsibility in the event I dropped dead during the weekend.

Monday morning, I went under the knife, woke up and I started walking the halls. I was out of the hospital in 24 hours and then home. Took some time and a lot of pain for the sternum to heal. Doing fine now!

Bottom line, sometimes you have to have faith in someone other than yourself. That someone is God the Almighty.

My fear is mostly about my ability to provide for and protect my family. If I'm dead or incapacitated, es no bueno. I think a lot of it is just the unknown. Never been under general anesthesia. Had a colonoscopy once, man those drugs were good! Lol.

It does make me ponder. The first patient offered a cervical disk replacement, did he wonder, "What will they think of necks??" 😐😐😐

My fear is mostly about my ability to provide for and protect my family. If I'm dead or incapacitated, es no bueno. I think a lot of it is just the unknown. Never been under general anesthesia. Had a colonoscopy once, man those drugs were good! Lol.

It does make me ponder. The first patient offered a cervical disk replacement, did he wonder, "What will they think of necks??" 😐😐😐
There is always "what if". I thought the same also before my surgery. You can play "what if" all damn day and all it will do is aggravate, raise your blood pressure and make you second guess yourself and your sane decisions.

Go with your doctors advice on this. Dont do it half-assed.

Doc

I think the fact that you can admit to and own your fears is a type of strength. Forget the "what ifs" and repeatedly tell yourself you will be fine, that there is no other option for you.

Keep your head up (as best you physically can), and keep your spirits up.

Be Well!

Last edited:
  • Wow
and your sane decisions

Strong assumption to think i was sane to begin with. Lol. The more I talk to you all the better I feel. My wife has reassured me since this got scheduled. It just helps talking to people who don't have the "job" of being supportive. Pre op appt tomorrow morning and I'll probably get out in the field later for my only chance at gun hunting this year.

Based on your MRI, your herniated discs are squeezing your spinal cord.
You should be very happy with the results. Most notice improvement right away.
The disc replacementents are becoming more and more common. They may help to preserve your neck motion as well as avoid over stressing the other nearby discs...

No fear. It does no good. I'll relate an anecdote about my emergency room session when I had my heart attack and triple bypass...

I was driven to the E-room by my daughter; it's late on a Thursday night. Picture this: small rural trauma center "unstaffed" because it's Thursday night and no patients are expected--so I had to holler from the reception counter for the staff to come get me. Four nurses swoop down on me when I said I was having chest pains. I first noticed the clock from my gurney as they roll me to a stop at 10:55pm.

There was an ambulance out front, and the accompanying EMT (maybe 23-25yr old) was shootin' the shit with a nurse. They'd just finished casting a woman's broken arm.

Mr. EMT abandons the broken arm and asks, "can I help?" to the person I figure was the head nurse. She said, "BP", and all four nurses around my gurney make room for the EMT to move in on my arm. After a couple minutes of medical administration and a dose of tPA (a blood clot eradicator), everyone at once, as if practiced, all step back one step and look up at the wall above me. All eyes (except mine) are on what I assume is a monitor over my head behind me.

I'm struck by the choreography of their movements: teamwork, teamwork, teamwork-- they had moved like they rehearsed it a thousand times. NOW, in this moment, I'm struck by the grave looks on their faces. Two of the nurses seem to sway back and forth, as if they wanna jump forward and do something, but they're waiting for a verbal cue. They all stand as if frozen on the monitor. It's 10:58pm.

I say to who I think is the head nurse, "this ain't going like you want, is it?"

She looked from the monitor directly at me and said, "we're doing everything that we can and we should, sir." The doctor walks in and talks with a nurse as he assesses the monitor(s).

I say, "have you ever heard of the Nixon non-denial denial?"

Everyone but the EMT chuckles. He's the only one too young to understand it from personally following Watergate. I look at the time; a minute to 11pm. I give myself til 11:10. If I'm still here then, I figure I'll make it. We got so busy after that I never saw the clock again.

Dr. Ostrowski, the emergency MD, tells my wife the next day he thought I had 10 seconds when he saw me.

And the point of this story is, parse out the small shit. The only thing that counts is what the head nurse, as a true professional at her job, replied:

"We're doing everything that we can and we should". Whether she intended it or not, her words literally spoke for everyone working on me.

You'll be in good hands. There's a time to think about family and a time to take care of yourself. Keep your energies contained. From the moment you're sedated your future is not yours to govern. When you come out of it in the recovery room, you'll know it's time to change your focus; to recovery, with a goal of continuing on with life. Until then, "taking care of family" isn't something you can do.

Be strong dude. Hunt.

You will come through with shining colors. And be better.

Had a family member do this one-same day out patient. Two via the front. I drove her home. Sore throat, but manageable.

You cannot see the scar and neither did she.

You will get relief if anything like hers. Badly impinged nerve(s).

Of course you are in my prayers. God speed.

I had c4-6 fused back in 11. Too many car wrecks and stupid games stupid prizes life choices. If you have a solid doc you will be fine. Just make sure you do the mobility exercises at home and consistently is the best advice I can give other than stick to what they say you can or cannot do. It took about a year to get fully back to normal meaning random pain or spasms at incision site finally stopped. The original pain and spams from bulged disc were gone when I woke up.

Tired and sore but already notice improvement. Tingling in fingers is gone. Numbness in a couple of fingers, not all of them. The worst part was an hour ago when they pulled the JP drain. Profanity flowed forth freely!
20201201_163315.jpg
16069416733188541559448735858725.jpg
16069416733188541559448735858725.jpg
20201202_104723.jpg
Heading home for care under the warden... I mean the wifey. I appreciate all the support, thoughts and prayers. Its just one of the reasons I love you beautiful fools.