• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ulfberht! Alexander Arms' .338 Lapua Magnum 10 shot - folding stock semi-auto

raider1v1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I cringe looking at the thought of firing this on asphalt like that.

AX1K0Tw.jpg

Fj7NNTI.jpg

Kb3AA1u.jpg

hI1ku6W.jpg

why? it is on a bipod, and has your generic gi pistol grip, worth about $4. Those should be the only parts that touch the pavement.

Yes, those are the only parts of the rifle that touch the pavement. But, your elbows are also on the pavement and the recoil is likely to be "stiff." As a result, you may leave some of your skin on the pavement if you don't have a shooting mat...

why? it is on a bipod, and has your generic gi pistol grip, worth about $4. Those should be the only parts that touch the pavement.

I'm cringing at the thought of the rocks, sand, and metal bits that would get blown around by the brake if you fired it on pavement.

Apart from that, the gun looks cool. Got a link or more info?

Apart from that, the gun looks cool. Got a link or more info?

+1 on that!! Ditch the Larue mount, Harris bipod and the A2 grip and it certainly LOOKS like a winner to me!

Looks like more and more companies are R&Ding the concept of a semi-auto .338LM. POF, F&D, AA among others have this iron in the fire. This is the first I've seen/heard of the AA offering though. More info/details would be appreciated. I checked their site and nothing shows up.

+1 on that!! Ditch the Larue mount, Harris bipod and the A2 grip and it certainly LOOKS like a winner to me!

I favor or what? Larue makes OK product, just overpriced for what they are. The Harris bipod, while not an atlas, is very functional. And I also see that the last photo has what appears to be an Ergo grip.

I was going to say that the pictures on the ground show what appears to be an Ergo grip vs. the A2 grip.

LRRPF52,

Thanks for that video! It's a pretty cool system. Interesting as well that recoil (added: management) is one of the prominent features. And that is handled without the use of a brake.

The rifle is well out of my foreseeable future, but for those that can buy it, I hope it's as accurate as it is unique. I don't know anything about the DP28, but I would like to know more how they get recoil reduced through the gas system without it affecting accuracy. It would seem to me that if this recoil winds down slowly but isn't initiated until the bullet passes the gas port to the piston, it wouldn't slow down the rifle as much as a brake that acts as soon as it is impinged upon by gases exiting the barrel?

Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Weight combined with constant recoil = minimal felt recoil. Haven't put my hands on one of these yet, as all my .338 LM has been on bolt guns, mostly TRG's, AI's, custom one-offs, and SRS's.

That is neato. It would step in front of the M82 by several places in the line of longbows I'd buy realistically. The accent makes it seem all the more awesome too: " Hallo gents. This bit o kit will split your nuts from your head to your ass at ateenhundred meters and kick like a kangaroo mouse to boot. Cheers"

got to shoot this thing today @780 yards and it was F...ing awesome.

Last edited:
You are a lucky guy! Did you shoot it at the Trijicon World Shooting Championship? If so, the side match with the Ulfberht rifle was suppose to be only one shot, but the range was 1,500 yards. Did everyone you talked to about the rifle also like it?

I've only been able to shoot it at no more than 200 yards. I need to find a longer range in South Carolina. I am surprised how smooth the bolt assembly moves inside the receiver.

Later,

Kevin

yes it was the TWSC in WV, they changed it from one shot @1500 to 3 shots [MENTION=100785]700[/MENTION]-780 yards range. One guy on my squad did 5.3 sec however best time was 4.71 sec!!!!
Very nice rifle.

I have some pics and a short video

Attachments

• IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    880.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
Will be shooting one this week at my multi-gun course. We're having a side fun shoot at 1000yds, and maybe will play with the mile gong at the facility we'll be at. Main focus is CCW, CQM, and DM for 3 days and 2 nights, but we're going to break out the longs for some distance work on Day 3 before we leave.

I have yet to shoot a semi auto .338 LM, so I'm really looking forward to it. All the ones I have blasted have been TRG, AI, DTA, and other high end bolt guns.

This one is supposed to have less recoil than a 7mm WSM, and it doesn't use a break. It's been described as feeling like a .308 Winchester.

The barrel is not pencil thin. I think the area between the gas block and the flash hider is about 7/8" in diameter. It looks smaller than that because the barrel is 27.5" long (plus flash hider). The barrel section between the breech and the gas block is over 1" in diameter. The receiver and barrel are quite heavy, being about 2/3 of the total weight.

The Ulfberht rifle maintains MOA and better accuracy after hundreds of rounds of firing, requiring minimal cleaning. Mechanically, this rifle is very much unlike the AR-style rifles that most Americans are familiar with. This is one reason why people are surprised to learn that this rifle doesn't need to be kept very clean. It works quite happily when it is dirty. People who shot the Ulfberht rifle at the Trijicon World Shooting Championship know how dirty the rifle was by the end of the event, and it still performed and shot well. The Ulfberht rifle is well-suited for engaging targets that are 1,000m to 1,500m away.

Later,

Kevin

The bolt is nothing like the one in the Kalashnikov family of assault rifles. It is much more like the ones in the DP-28 and RPD machineguns. The piston is like a long version of the one in the Kalashnikov assault rifles.

Kevin,

Can we get close up shots of the rifle itself? My understanding if you actually designed the rifle....correct? If your a production model?

Last edited:
Kevin,

Can we get close up shots of the rifle itself? My understanding if you actually designed the rifle....correct? If your a production model?

Yes, I did design the rifle. I talked to Bill Alexander regularly during the last couple of years of the design. Alexander Arms did all of the development of the rifle, and they are currently marketing and manufacturing it. They get a lot of credit for its success.

I don't have many photos of the rifle that can't already be found with a simple search on the internet. I can post some photos once I get home from work.

Later,

Kevin

Sorry about being late with some detail photos. Some of the articles about the rifle had some really good photos, with RECOIL magazine having some particularly nice ones.Ulfberht disassembled bolt.jpgUlfberht-Bolt[1].jpgNRAConv_52.jpg

So for the left-handed gentleman who may win the lottery one day, how is the brass ejection? The idea of taking a hot 338 case to the neck is none too appealing.

That's a very interesting bolt design, I hadn't seen that before. The recoil does look pretty mild in the vids. The name is cool, there is a pretty decent documentary on Netflix about the swords.
Justin

Whoa! Never seen this before.Definitely interesting, especially the constant recoil system.

i've had mine for about 2 weeks, one of which i spent on vacation.
i did have time to run 30 of my handloads through it. after the first 10 or so (had a couple issues feeding) everything smoothed out (no failures in the second or third magazine through the rifle).
it is a heavy s.o.b., and the included case makes it more so, but does a great job protecting the rifle.
i only have had the one quick range trip to a nearby range that maxes out at 100yrds.
next time i'll head out to a place that will get me to 400. i'll see how it goes. happy so far