• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate .22 hunter

evilcoon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2012
Farmington Hills, MI
If you had an unlimited budget to build a .22 hunting rifle, what would you build?

I own a CZ 452 American and it's a great shooter!

Picked up a Anschutz 1712 and was ready to thread the barrel but it's to beautiful to fuck up.

I now have a Anshutz 64 MPR in bound and now I'm beginning to doubt that will do either.

Basically I'm looking for a custom thumbhole stock, 2 stage trigger, threaded 1/2x28 and a smooth bolt actin. The CZ has a nasty hiccup even after 500 rounds.

Please steer me in the right direction.

Re: Ultimate .22 hunter

We're talkin' huntin', right? Not benchrest.
No need for the high end artillery for brush hunting.
For picking off squirrels and rabbits at close range
any half decent semi-auto will do the job using cheap ammo.
For open field hunting, I've got no use for the 22lr anymore.
Caliber of choice is the 17 hmr, 20 gr fmj out to 125 yards.
Second choice is the 40 gr 22 wmr, both in a heavy barrel Varmint.
Flatter trajectories, more oomph on impact. Range use, 22lr is fine.
Inexpensive target and plinking ammo. Hunting, where I'm only
taking a half dozen shots during the morning, the magnum shells get 'er done.

Giggle if'n ya' wanna, but my favorite 22 brush rifle
is a Marlin 60 SS with a cheap CenterPoint red dot on it.
1X scope with a red/green dot, no reticle, no parallax.
Put the dot on the head and squeeze. Fast acquistion and shot.
Keep both eyes open and never lose track of the critter.
My open field rifle is a CZ 455 Varmint. With some minor tuning
and decent ammo, moa is no problem. No lightweight, but effective.

you already own it:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evilcoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a CZ 452 American and it's a great shooter!

</div></div>

put the $ into upgrading the stock, trigger, optic to your liking.

either that or a 40X, but for a hunter that would be kinda like taking an cadillac escalade mud bogging.

Jaia thanks for the breakdown on the different caliber but I'm trying to keep this as my overall rifle. The best caliber with energy not breaking the sound barrier would be the .22 LR, at least for me.

TP I love my CZ but i wish the trigger felt like my 1712 2 stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It says ultimate in the post.......</div></div>

yeah but think about it:

you already have an action and barrel that you know shoot well,
with an unlimited budget, why not make it the best damn 452 on the planet?

if you really want to get gucci, a stiller 10x action, match chambered 16"or 17" shilen or broughton h. barrel threaded for a sparrow, nestled / bedded in some form of a sporter/tactical hybrid mcmillian stock, leupold or nightforce 4-16ish range with a gen 3 in front of it. badger ord. base and rings. timney trigger. all duracoated in multicam from shortbus.

ammo lapua midas.

or a 10/22 with a red dot.

After looking at his list again, get you some wolf target match for the MPR and have at it. Mine loves the wolf. YMMV

If I just wanted the best,
I would buy either a Mike Bush/ Black ops or any the Cooper that fit me the best

hahaha.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm trying to keep this as my overall rifle</div></div>

Never happen. Y'er probably just like the rest of us here.
You've got the "just one more" affliction. Admit it and move on.
gap.gif

For the cost of a Cooper, ya' can get 2 CZ Varmints with set triggers
and a Marlin 60 SS, scope 'em all, and buy a years worth of ammo.
laugh2.gif

Go to RimfireCentral.com, find the sub-forum for Winchester Mod. 52 and search for threads about the 52C reissues that were built for Browning by Miroku. A heavy barrel is not required on a .22 as there is little heat build up though the extra weight certainly helps your hold. These rifles are adult size, light enough to pack in the woods and accurate enough for any use including benchrest.

They make a great trainer/hunting rifle. They are not the ultimate anything as that would be a custom built to your version of what ultimate is. On the other hand, they are beatifully built and wonderfully accurate. At about S800.00 you will have a great rifle that will not depeciate while you figure out what is your "ultimate hunter." If you ever build that rifle I'd bet you won't sell the 52 to finance it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evilcoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you had an unlimited budget to build a .22 hunting rifle, what would you build?</div></div>

I'm going to go down a route completely different than most here would think from me:

Nordic 22 upper
6.5 in barrel
Silencerco Sparrow SS (5.08in)
mid length hand guard (9.25 in) so just the last 1.25in of the silencer protrudes

1-6x optic with some type of BDC reticule (Vortex Razor HD)

AR lower with Magpul UBR stock, JP trigger group, and silent capture spring. Feed it CCI standard, Wolf, or SK to keep it nice and quiet. Compact, reasonably lightweight, quick follow up shots if needed and large ammo capacity. It should be Death incarnate for any critter 125yd and in.

Pop two pins, swap to another caliber upper and we are talking a whole other ball of wax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say thumbhole...do you see wood/laminate stocks? Or just the thumbhole design?

HS Precision makes a thumbhole type stock as is the AICS...

You could pretty easily place your 40X into one without any harm to its collector value. Both are chassis type stocks (HS has a V-block inside it) and I can say from experience that they work well (won't harm accuracy).

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

----
I'd probably build a 40X with a high end wood stock built similar to a Sako Finnfire stock in layout, have it converted to mag fed using 513T 10rnd mags, a blued 16" custom tube with a threaded muzzle and 3-15 mil/mil NF mounted on a polished up canted base/rings.

That...or a 40X that completely mimics a Accuracy International Covert with a integral suppressor and a mil/mil 5-25 S&B.

</div></div>

I like this! I will post my results.

Thanks for the info guys this really helps.

Since we're in this topic no one really mentioned anything about threading my current mpr. Would this be a waste of a nice rifle? I'd like to chop it down to around 20" and thread but don't have a clue in regards to where the starts and ends and neither does my gunsmith. He basically says "just tell me where to cut and thread".

Sako Finnfire .

Only 2 problems ,

1) Not made any more
2 ) Spare mags a problem due to again not being made any more .

Later Chris

Any Winchester 52 sporter, even the Japanese made Browning copies are excellent hunting rifles. The Remington 541 series are also excellent hunting guns. If you want to build a high end rifle find a clean Remington 37 action, have one of the premier smallbore gunsmiths hang a Schnieder sporter barrel on it and buy a nice stock from Richard's.

I slay squirrels with my cz452 with a fixed 6 leupold from way back when. only downfall is the trigger is shit, need to get an upgraded trigger for it.

I'd take that 64 and custom fit it into a Wells gas airsoft AICS stock.

My hunting .22 is a plain ole' Ruger 10/22 carbine. I did send it off to CPC (Connecticut Precision Chambering) and let them do their magic with their full tune up work. With SK Match Rifle ammo my 50 yard groups are 1/4 inch, just fine for small game head shots. And ballistics of the SK allow me to shoot from 20 yards to 76 yards with 1/8 inch from rise to drop.