• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate AR Whose Receiver You Using

TCKev

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Houma,LA
If you were building what you consider your Ultimate AR whose upper/lower you using. I’m gonna order a Craddock Precision 20” SDM-R barrel.

Parts I already have

AXTS charging handle Umbrella Corp
V Seven mag catch
V Seven bolt catch S7
V Seven mag catch/release
SLR adjustable gas block .750
Jp enhanced bolt
Ergo lower springs

Parts to buy
TT AR Diamond never had a 2 stage
BCM hanguard
Buffer tube.
MAGPUL PRS Stock
Jp silent captured spring
Jp lmos carrier
KNS Precision lower pin set
Muzzle device???

I have built my 3 gun rifle and love it. I have a Vltor MUR upper and a Spikes lower just curious about everyone’s thoughts

Zev forged upper and lower for a super tight fit. Zev wedge lock handguard takes advantage of a hole drilled in their upper for the installation of an anti-rotation indexing pin.
Upper and lower are very affordable. Handguard is on the pricier side but you can find them on sale on-line.

If you're looking for a thick walled upper for added strength I use tons of these MEGA SBU billet thick walled uppers. And man are they thick. Pair it with your lower of choice..

V7 2055 Lithium Alloy for anything but an ultra-accuracy focused build.

Larue Ultimate or Seekins for accuracy only.

FYI, I'd recommend a suppressor for the muzzle device, like a Dead Air Nomad.

Radian upper and lower is really nice. Had to use a mallet and tap the criterion barrel in. I waited six months I think to get the lower though. Upper and hand guard took a couple weeks.

I would say if you are going for a true precision rifle it would be hard to beat a Seekins IRMT type upper. The stiffness they retain with the extra beef up front over a run of the mill upper with a standard barrel nut should be a large selling point, especially if using from a bipod.

I would say if you are going for a true precision rifle it would be hard to beat a Seekins IRMT type upper. The stiffness they retain with the extra beef up front over a run of the mill upper with a standard barrel nut should be a large selling point, especially if using from a bipod.

They are great for rifle length gas uppers. They refuse to make extended length handguards which sucks. They leave the gas block exposed on any gas length longer than rifle length.

Reactions: LeadZeke
BCM just came out with a new upper rec. that is supposed to be thicker up front at the extension. I really like POF Gen 4 lowers. They are really nice and not that pricey. But LMT mars may be my favorite but they are tricky because some billet uppers will not work with the right side bolt release.

I use $40 Anderson lowers. They mate tight with every milspec upper I've used.
For hundreds more, you don't get any more functionality, except maybe a flared magwell. The rest is brand and some cute engravings, Be aware that there are about 4 manufacturers that make lowers for all of the builders.

They are great for rifle length gas uppers. They refuse to make extended length handguards which sucks. They leave the gas block exposed on any gas length longer than rifle length.
Yeah they gave me a solid no when I suggested a 17" HG, but wouldn't say why. No integrated ARCA either. Why don't you like the exposed GB though?

I’ve about got all the pieces together for my next build. Gen 3 Noveske. I just need to get the hand guard ordered.

Attachments

• 692BB88E-2D0B-45E8-89A2-D316CD0A5118.jpeg
    692BB88E-2D0B-45E8-89A2-D316CD0A5118.jpeg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 73B1FD7E-0F62-4B4C-8998-CBB3BE5662D2.jpeg
    73B1FD7E-0F62-4B4C-8998-CBB3BE5662D2.jpeg
    933.9 KB · Views: 83
If you were building what you consider your Ultimate AR whose upper/lower you using. I’m gonna order a Craddock Precision 20” SDM-R barrel.

Parts I already have

AXTS charging handle Umbrella Corp
V Seven mag catch
V Seven bolt catch S7
V Seven mag catch/release
SLR adjustable gas block .750
Jp enhanced bolt
Ergo lower springs

Parts to buy
TT AR Diamond never had a 2 stage
BCM hanguard
Buffer tube.
MAGPUL PRS Stock
Jp silent captured spring
Jp lmos carrier
KNS Precision lower pin set
Muzzle device???

I have built my 3 gun rifle and love it. I have a Vltor MUR upper and a Spikes lower just curious about everyone’s thoughts

The SLR billet upper & lower set is very nice, so is the same from Cross Machine Tool, also V-7 & San Tan. And you've already used one of the better uppers with the Vltor.

I'd also lose the BCM handguard & go with a Geiselle or one from SLR...........both stiffer & have stronger rail to barrel nut interface.

JMHO, JMMV

MM

Any barrel that has +2 gas. Like the 224V Craddock and Rainier Ultramatches for example in AR15. Wont use their builder set in 308 cause it leaves the 6.5cm gas.block exposed with +2 gas. Fine for.bench guns but I'd be worried about snacking that gas block for anything else.

Not sure why they just wont make a 16.5 or 17" handguard....would make it try GO TO setup IMHO..

Got it
Wouldn't it be easier to just use adjustable gas blocks than to keep adding length to gas systems and rails?

Its a shame Superlative arms does not make a piston kit for the 10 platforms. I have several of their systems running on F1 chassis that function flawlessly and are surprisingly lightweight. I bet the bleed style gas block could be made to work

Any barrel that has +2 gas. Like the 224V Craddock and Rainier Ultramatches for example in AR15. Wont use their builder set in 308 cause it leaves the 6.5cm gas.block exposed with +2 gas. Fine for.bench guns but I'd be worried about snacking that gas block for anything else.

Not sure why they just wont make a 16.5 or 17" handguard....would make it try GO TO setup IMHO..

V-7 makes an 18" handguard for both small & large frame.

MM

So does JP and SLR which is what I run...we are talking about the Seekins handguard for the IRMT3 upper. Their 15" is the only handguard you can use.

Ahh.................missed the Seekins reference.

MM

I'm going to be using an Aero Precision receiver set. On my 308 I used a handguard and adjustable gas block from SLR and they're great products. SLR has some of the best customer service I've seen. Can't go wrong with SLR IMO.

While I would also like a longer handguard, it really isnt that bad. No gas tube is exposed, just block.

Reactions: TCKev
Upper, Vltor is always a winner. As for a lower, I usually just use whatever I have laying around. If it has the tighting screw to lock in the upper that is the best.

I would go with the Stubborn Mule ( S.M.O.S. ) since they are the people who used to make the Noveske receiver sets.....but alas according to their website don't appear to be making them anymore. Anyone know the reason as to why ?

Mega, would check out Zev and SLR if a NOS Mega wasn't around.

Mega used to be the go to for this but with them gone if I ever did another one I think I'd give a Falkor or an SLR a try.

Mega used to be the go to for this but with them gone if I ever did another one I think I'd give a Falkor or an SLR a try.

Really sad to see Mega go.. They made some good stuff. I still rock a Gator lower with one of their uppers I bought back in 2004-05.

Reactions: roamin
If you're looking for a thick walled upper for added strength I use tons of these MEGA SBU billet thick walled uppers. And man are they thick. Pair it with your lower of choice..

I bought one when Mega was still a thing and it's great. There's no markings on it anywhere so the JSE one should be identical since Mega made it. I'm still pissed that the company disappeared into Zev. I'll never sell my 100% Mega build.

Reactions: padom

You can still find Mega stuff if you are persistent! It’s all I build on, it’s getting harder to find though.
1EF68FAD-5D52-4EBA-8130-B887811551A3.jpeg

I would love to find me a matching upper and lower billet set. I never got around to buying billet Mega stuff and I regret it.

Ultimate is a relative term.

My 'ultimate' has nothing to do with high dollar trendy items, nor is it intended to demonstrate my sagacity in picking and choosing individual components.

Also, none of my comments here are intended to disparage any other approach. Folks spend as they choose, and I think that's exactly as it should be.

I simply have goals of a very personal nature. My rifles have to shoot accurately, each be configured to perform a specific narrow range for tasks, and do so in a manner that does not price them out of reach of the most common among us. Yep, I'm not average for The 'Hide; never was, never needed to be.

I don't build. I define building as performing tasks where parts are fabricated or modified in some machining manner. I combine, and preferably from completed sub-assemblies, to include complete Uppers and complete Lowers, but not limited to such. I often start with complete assemblies, then replace some individual parts or sub-assembles, like triggers; and in doing such, I believe I do not deserve the term builder.

Much of the accuracy requirement depends on handloading. I seek 1MOA, and rejoice if 1/2 MOA arrives. It has on some occasions. My chosen accuracy requirement is better described as adequate than as ultimate; success means the target is 'defeated'.

Optics must perform repeatably, not hinder good target acquisition, and also be affordable enough to have several of each instance included within my assemblage of rifles.

This probably goes against the grain in many here. That's not at all intentional. I'm not out the be the best anything on this forum, but rather, to represent those who are still on their journey toward their own 'ultimate'.

There is a saving grace when concocting AR's; the concept of Mil-Spec. Not ultimate whatsoever; but also, by definition, not shabby either. From such humble roots, highly acceptable outcomes may grow. Mine have the key investment in a decent barrel, and a capable trigger.

This is my ultimate Billet Upper receiver. The description 'stripped' in the name is funny, the only thing I added was the BCG. It mates perfectly with the PSA PA-15 Lower. The barrel is a 24" Fluted Heavy Stainless 6.5 Grendel.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: TCKev
Well I ordered a Wilson Combat billet matched set. I really like the clean lines. Now to save some money for the Craddock Precision barrel.

Reactions: Merle