• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ULTIMATE BIPOD!!!

XLR

boss man
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I have always liked the M60 style bipods for their rugedness and solid looks. I decied to adapt one for my 308. I took some 1/2" aluminum barstock and machined it to screw into the existing 5mm bidop atachment on my McMillan. It fits great and is solid as a rock! Bipod is from Barret.
m308003.jpg

m308005.jpg

M308bipod008.jpg

M308bipod002.jpg

Re: ULTIMATE BIPOD!!!

that is ugly as hell!!

but looks comfortable as shit, and rock steady. just like a war weapon ought to be. god work sir
wink.gif

bench

laugh.gif
lol, at least your honest! It is big looking compared to the sleek lines of the McMillan but is works like it should. I just got back from shooting it and it is a dream. Stable as a rock. Shot a best of .261" and .344" 5-shot at 100. -Kyle

bad arse! i love it.... good work dude

If you like it rock on. I will say good job on fabbing it up.

Having dealt with that POS on the M82A1A I will tell you that I don't think you have the "ultimate" bipod. It looks cool and all, but I would take a Harris or maybe an Atlas any day of the week.

legs not completely locking out, legs folding, no swivel, etc.

It's an acceptable bipod for a medium machine gun that will be mounted on a T&E most of the time. It's not a real good choice for a precision rifle, IMHO.

If it works for you, don't worry about it.

I can give a shit about the bipod, I like the fact that you took the time to fab something up to run what you wanted. Good job.

Well if you can not shoot them you could always throw the bipod at them.

Nice work, Not my style but nicely done.

I cannot even tell you how far that is from being the ultimate bipod. The M60 bipod is heavy, slow to adjust, lacks any useable swivel function, too tall at it's shortest setting, and so out of place on a bolt action rifle.

If you like it on your gun, all the power to you. But it is most certainly not the ultimate bipod. To me, it's about as ultimate as putting a CAR stock on an SKS.

Wow, all this hate and discontent!! I guess I was a little vague in my original post. This bipod is a Barret bipod modeled after the M60. It actually sits over a 1/2 inch shorter than my Harris ultralite swivel, yet has a 5 inch wider stance than the Harris. The legs lock in solid. I can really not tell how they would ever collapse unlike the spring loaded Harris arms. In your defense, it doesn’t swivel like the Harris one but it still offers about 5 degrees adjustment either way. The elevation adjustment is very easy. If fact I am sure that my 6 year old nephew would not even struggle with it. Especially since it is operates almost identically with the Harris notched leg bipod I use to use. I have been through 2 Harris pods, a versa pod, and a Guntec pod. And this is only on a 308. If this bipod could handle a 50 BMG, I thick it will hold up on my 308. Essentially, I like it and that is all that matters. I posted this because I have seen a quest for quality bipods on here and the lack thereof. I thought this might give inspiration to the others looking for a real bipod in the midst of a plethora of junk. And it is not that much heavier. It weighs 6 oz more than my Harris swivel and on a 16 pound gun, I probably will not notice.
wink.gif

Keep an open mind, that is how advancement is made.

Picture is in comparison with a STANDARD harris. I gave the swivel to my brother-in-law so it was not avaiable for picture. The swivel sits about 1/2 inch higher.
M308bipod002-1.jpg

I will say that I do not pack this thing around. That is what my truck is for. I just want a bipod that doesn't feel like junk and that offers me a stable platform to enjoy my hobby. If I were in to hunting, you can bet that I probably would not put this on my hunting rifle. Everything has a place.
smirk.gif

RAT, Looks good! That should take some punishment!

To the folks with negative comments....lets see what you've put together and built?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's about as ultimate as putting a CAR stock on an SKS. </div></div>

You mean you haven't done that yet?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RATOUTAHELL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, all this hate and discontent!! I guess I was a little vague in my original post. This bipod is a Barret bipod modeled after the M60. It actually sits over a 1/2 inch shorter than my Harris ultralite swivel, yet has a 5 inch wider stance than the Harris. The legs lock in solid. I can really not tell how they would ever collapse unlike the spring loaded Harris arms. In your defense, it doesn’t swivel like the Harris one but it still offers about 5 degrees adjustment either way. The elevation adjustment is very easy. If fact I am sure that my 6 year old nephew would not even struggle with it. Especially since it is operates almost identically with the Harris notched leg bipod I use to use. I have been through 2 Harris pods, a versa pod, and a Guntec pod. And this is only on a 308. If this bipod could handle a 50 BMG, I thick it will hold up on my 308. Essentially, I like it and that is all that matters. I posted this because I have seen a quest for quality bipods on here and the lack thereof. I thought this might give inspiration to the others looking for a real bipod in the midst of a plethora of junk. And it is not that much heavier. It weighs 6 oz more than my Harris swivel and on a 16 pound gun, I probably will not notice.
wink.gif

Keep an open mind, that is how advancement is made.

Picture is in comparison with a STANDARD harris. I gave the swivel to my brother-in-law so it was not avaiable for picture. The swivel sits about 1/2 inch higher.
M308bipod002-1.jpg
</div></div>

What you refer to as a "standard" Harris bipod is not the standard for most members here. For those of us that choose the Harris brand of bipods, most of us use the BRM-S model which is considerably shorter and lighter, and has spring loaded legs.

And as I said in my original post, if you like it, all the power to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RATOUTAHELL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep an open mind, that is how advancement is made.</div></div>

As for this comment, I don't consider a 50's design any kind of an advancement.

Good job dude. That looks perfect for the range. Don't worry about all the high speed low drag haters.

Rat, some people are just full of themselves, and if it aint THEIR idea, then it aint a GOOD idea! They'll probably show up somewhere else with the same thing calling it theirs!
wink.gif

Believe me, as the proud owner of a TacMod, anytime you get off the reservation with design or innovation, you gotta have a thick skin!
smile.gif

I like your setup, although I'd really like to know more about that billet setup shown in the background - that thing is a work of art!

I don't know about "ultimate" but that is a nicely adapted piece that makes you happy!
Thanks for sharing. Did you make the rest int he background of the "comparison" pic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can give a shit about the bipod, I like the fact that you took the time to fab something up to run what you wanted. Good job. </div></div>

And thats what im screaming. Good job

<span style="font-weight: bold">I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!</span>
grin.gif
How much for one of those adapters? Great job! It's awesome!

m308003.jpg

m308005.jpg

M308bipod008.jpg

M308bipod002.jpg

Not only are you inventive your brave as hell too. My wife would kill me if I got anywhere near her dining room table with a rifle.

Logs solid as a rock. I need friends with skills to make shit like that rest, mine drink my beer while I coat their rifles or do other stuff for them.

If it works for you roll with it. Don't let the couch snipers get you down. It's not the man with ten rifles that is deadly, it is the man with one that he has adapted to his shooting needs. Rock on and aim small.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can give a shit about the bipod, I like the fact that you took the time to fab something up to run what you wanted. Good job.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RAT, Looks good! That should take some punishment!
To the folks with negative comments....lets see what you've put together and built?</div></div>

This, IMHO, is the way to do things. See something you like, then see something you don't like, and then you come across a need. Fill the need with what you think is the way to do things.

THAT, is progress, is it not?

It looks great. You should be proud that you built what you needed. I can tell you like it and thats all that matters.