• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate Gun Cleaning and Lube Kit...need help!

soapboxpreacher

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2012
Ok I am looking to make a kit for cleaning and lubing my AR...but can crossover to some of my other guns as well. I am looking for recommendation on the best Cleaner/degreaser, carbon cutter, bore cleaner, lube, brush/mops, and tools/etc. I have been reading and lurking all over the place. I have found a few things. I will break down what I have found in each category. As well as how I believe each category fits each product. One note I am one who loves my rifles and doesnt like to use a product that was designed for it, I have however made some exception in some case lube is one of them. Not interested in Brake Cleaner, Mineral spirits, or Simple Green for the most part. My goal is to make a kit that I can use or extend into my pistols and shotguns. I am tired of buying all this crap only to find it isnt very good or I could have already used something I have for my other guns (rifles. pistols, and shotguns). I would even love to put together a case for it all...tackle box or something.

Cleaner/Degreaser, this is the general surfaces cleaner, trigger group, mag well, shear housing, etc. I have found these products with the most love, they all seem to degrease, remove some minor carbon and fouling (The better environmental they are the more I will use them...some of the crap makes me sick to my stomach) oh and something plastic safe without residue issues either:

Slip 2000 Cleaner/Degreaser 725 (it is environmental friend to use and seems to work well!) This would be my pick
Mil-Comm MC25
M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner

Bore, pretty self explanatory:
Hoppes #9 (As much as I know these products arent good to breath and make me sick if I am around them too long, Hoppes smell great!!)
Shooter Choice (probably the better choice for I have used this on my Shotgun for years and it has been excellent

Lube, this list can gets big and what I have found is synthetic based lubes work far better. Heres why, they stay in place better, dont burn off as fast, dont hold fouling as well, and dont dry up as faster or easy! CLPs and Rem work like garbage!

FrogLube, synthetic and a CLP (Expensive and my 2nd choice)
Slip 2000 EWL see froglube only cheaper (1st Choice)
Mil-Comm MC2500 (Expensive)
M-Pro7
Mobil One (Current choice but absolutely hate the SMELL!!)
Amsoil
Weapons Shield....I have read mixed on it

Carbon Cutter, this would be for my Bolt and BCG. This category is mostly for the ARs:
Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter (once again environmental and non-toxic...I am becoming a huge fan of Slip because of all their products like this)

Tools, let me know also what tools you cannot live without and some you should have never gotten:
Bore Snakes! Love them! have a few
Universal rod kit with brushes for all cals
CAT M4 of Like Carbon Scrapper (AR only)
Patches
Chamber Brush/Mop (AR...suggestions)
Viva Paper towel...less lint and hold up better! I use with a degreaser and love it!
Air Compressor...ok I have one for other stuff and use it for damn near everything...cleaning the car interior, coffee grinder, inside of my PC, you name it! Best 100 bucks I have spent!

So that is my general list. I am looking for people who have used a few of these or possibly some that I am missing. I have a few 9mm, 12GAs, ARs (one being my baby...KAC SR15E3), 22lr, and will be adding more...r700 coming up! This could really be a great thread and I do know some other have covered this but not to this level or versatility. Let see what we can do!

Oh and sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. This kit is for an AR 1st than the rest..so my AR is setting the product decisions if it can in each category. I believe though that most of these cleaning and lube products crossover to all types of firearms.

Re: Ultimate Gun Cleaning and Lube Kit...need help!

I've used pretty much everything that you have listed there.
In my experience, here is what I have found to work the best:

Cleaner:
(Different Tools for different jobs)
- General Purpose Cleaning
Currently, I use Super Quick Clean Guns.
http://www.superquickcleanguns.com/
I picked up a bottle of it on a whim and really like it for all my gun cleaning needs.
Previously, I used Hoppes #9 and love it, but my Wife freaks out about the smell.
(Personally, I love the smell, but one needs to keep the peace.)
SQKG has no smell at all and works better than the Hoppes #9.
The SLIP 2000 Cleaner works ok and smells good, but I have had better results with SQKG.

- Bore Cleaning
Boretech Eliminator is the my choice.
http://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml
This is due to performance as well as it having zero issues with smell or HAZMAT.

- Lead Removal
Shooters Choice Lead Remover
http://www.shooters-choice.com/lead-remover
This product works well and also has no scent.

Lube:
SLiP 2000 EWL
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000-EWL.html
By far, the best lube for the AR platform that I have ever used.
(Also works well for other firearms.)
Mobile One Full Synthetic is a suitable stand in for SLiP 2000 EWL if need be.

- Grease
SLiP 2000 Synthetic Grease
http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000-EWG.html
There are applications when a heavier lubricant is required.
Such as the bolt lugs on your precision bolt action rife.
The SLiP 2000 Grease does an excellent job in this role.
The Miltec 1 grease works well if need be.

Here is the best way to apply lubricants to an AR:
- Two drops in the gas key
- One drop on each of the bearing surfaces of the Bolt Carrier
- One drop on each of the bearing surfaces of the Bolt
- One drop on the cam pin
- One drop in the cam path on the Bolt Carrier
- One drop on the side of the bolt at the Extractor Pin
- One drop on the Ejector Plunger (Then operate plunger with a spent cartridge.)
- One drop on each lug of the bolt
- Lightly coat the surfaces of the hammer the contact the bolt carrier and the trigger.
- Ensure that there is a light coat of lube on the hammer & trigger pins.

Optional items:
- One drop in the buffer tube spread evenly.
(This will quiet down the action spring noise.)
- Coat the entire Bolt Carrier with lube to the point where it glistens.
(The purpose of this is not to reduce friction, it is to collect particulate matter that would other wise become deposited in the trigger group.)
- Coat the inside walls of the trigger group housing with grease.
(The purpose of this is to collect particulate matter that would otherwise become deposited in the trigger group.)

Tools:
- The Otis Tactical Cleaning System
http://www.otistec.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=B9DC009A351C4D44BE717B4E656E7CDA
This kit is the most affordable Otis package that will likely fill all your cleaning needs.
I like the Otis products for when I do a detailed cleaning of a firearm.

- Hoppes BoreSnake Viper
http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_boresnake_viper.html
The Hoppes BoreSnakes are fantastic for quick cleaning.
Over the years, I have switched from one who would perform a detailed cleaning of every firearm after I fired it to one who wipes it down and pulls a BoreSnake through it three times before putting it back in the safe.
I still do the detailed cleanings when they are necessary, but spending that much time on cleaning, impacted how much shooting I would do.
The guns shoot just as well if not better this way and I have increased my range time dramatically.

- C.A.T. M-4 Tool
http://catm4.com/
The Combat Application Tools, Inc. C.A.T. M-4 Tool has proved its self to be invaluable to me.
When cleaning an AR type weapon, it makes the most time consuming and difficult tasks a snap.

- Compressed Air
I use a portable air tank, but a can of air in your cleaning bag is always convenient to have handy.

- Rags
Old 100% Cotton T-Shirts cut into small sections work very well and is a good way to make your Wife happy by cleaning out your junk T-Shirt drawer in your dresser.

Oh, I almost forgot...
Welcome to the Hide!

Brake Clean, G96 & Slip 2000 work for me. I use an air compressor and rags to wipe the G96 off.

For the bore I use a jag and copper solvent. Very rarely do I clean the bore.

I rarely clean my guns.

Thanks Dr. Phil!!! I really appreciate the time! I will be getting the Bore Tech to hopefully replace the hoppes...I love hoppes but that stuff is just flat out bad to breath and handle! I have to clean in the basement so I need stuff that wont do me in! SQKG is a new one to me, want to make sure it is non-toxic and bio-d. I was considering M-Pro7 as my General Cleaner but 725 is so inexpensive it is hard to pass on I can get a lot of it for 13 bucks! Some have said Mpro7 works better but I cannot confirm that for there have been other that have said the opposite. I will be getting a box of rag/t-shirts too! Like that idea! Viva work well but still could be better. I will be ordering some Slip 2K Carbon Killer in 16oz to strip the bolt and BCG.

Things I like:

Large tackle boxes
Simple Green - clean everything but the barrel with this and have for years. Some will panic about SG and AL, if your spraying it on and wiping it off - you let me know when you breach the parkerizing.
Copper pot scrubber wrapped around an old cleaning brush - for pistols I just dry brush, for rifles the use of this with solvent great speeds up removing the fouling.
Sweets or Montana Extreme
Wipeout
Tetra grease and oil. I tend to use a lot more grease than oil on moving surfaces including AR bolts and HG slides / barrel lugs. In a pinch I have also used white lithium (auto) grease and 40 wt (auto) oil - works great. Remember oil drains, grease sticks; oil also burns off faster.
Old T shirts for rags
Long Tweezers - just seem to be handy occasionally
Anti seize - put on the threads at the muzzle and the threads at the back of the can

Good luck

Hose it down with CLP..or Whatever oil is handy. Scrub carbon off with an AP brush, bore brush, chamber brush. Wipe dry...

Apply Slip 2000 lube to the bolt carrier group.

Done.

Precision rifle is a bit different in that I use a rod guide and some copper remover on occasion but functionally the same.

I do like to stick with one brand, figure there is less of a chance of something reacting in a bad way and causeing unwanted results like pitting or something along those lines. For bores I use Boretech eliminator most of the time but if it horribly gunky I will shoot in some wipeout while I go do something else. I also like Boretechs carbon clearer for the bolt. My favorite lubes are Mobil 1 and Gunbutter. I like the fact that GB has a red tint so its easier to see where it is and how much is there.

Bit off topic but why not use ATF vs a motor oil? I have been running ATF for a few years now and dont think I'll ever change. Sure it will stain your shirt if you run really wet but other than that ATF seems like the best choice.

I picked up a 4oz bottle of Frog Lube the other day and I have been really impressed with the results so far.

This past weekend I took both my SPR and M16 out prelubed with a very light coating of lube on the bolts only. It was almost dry to the touch, not greasy at all, the gun is almost dry. Went through about 500 rounds through the M16, mostly in full auto with various different types of ammo, Wolf, PMC, reloads ect, not a single failure of any kind in function. Took the bolt out on Sunday night to clean it. Without using any kind of cleaner or cleaner lube combo, just a paper towel, all the carbon build up on the bolt just came right off just by wiping it down. But this was a Nickle Boron bolt, it's suppose to do that right?

I also had about 300 rounds through my MK12 SPR with a regular phosphated semi auto bolt and it cleaned up even easier. I attribute that not much as many rounds through the bolt as the M16 and I didn't run it as hard. And both guns were suppressed DI guns, so they do get plenty dirty.

Cleaned up all the carbon on both BCG and just used 1 drop of Frog Lube for the outside of the BCG and 1 drop for the inside where the bolt actually rides inside the carrier and that's it. The bolts look clean and dry, but have a real slick feel to them. I have never been a fan of putting so much lube in a AR platform where you see it blow everywhere and it seep all over you when you shoot. Plus shooting suppressed, it just makes the gun even dirtier.

I hear the makers of Frog Lube has a patch system coming out for barrel bores. It should help keep copper and powder fowling down. We will see.

For copper, I just use Gun Slick,(I think Outers is the same thing) foaming bore cleaner. It's safe, I can get it almost anywhere and it works! I just spray it , let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour then patch. I almost never use a brush on the bore. I have tried to go back several times with other more aggressive copper solvents and usually don't get anything after using Gun Slick. About the only time I would use a brush is when I clean the chamber out.

IMO best 'entry level' cleaning kit is from Kleenbore. Its distributed by Safariland now. The majority of the kits on the markets have brass rods and they have a tendency to break at the threads. The Kleenbore kit uses a steel rod and will give you more mileage so to speak. Of course everyone needs a Dewey, Tipton, or Boretech rod at home...

Man, I feel like a hick compared to your guys.

My cleaning kit:
Simple Green in spray bottle
Mobile 1
Lubriplate 630AA
Boresnake
Compressed air and towels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a 4oz bottle of Frog Lube the other day and I have been really impressed with the results so far.

This past weekend I took both my SPR and M16 out prelubed with a very light coating of lube on the bolts only. It was almost dry to the touch, not greasy at all, the gun is almost dry. Went through about 500 rounds through the M16, mostly in full auto with various different types of ammo, Wolf, PMC, reloads ect, not a single failure of any kind in function. Took the bolt out on Sunday night to clean it. Without using any kind of cleaner or cleaner lube combo, just a paper towel, all the carbon build up on the bolt just came right off just by wiping it down. But this was a Nickle Boron bolt, it's suppose to do that right?

I also had about 300 rounds through my MK12 SPR with a regular phosphated semi auto bolt and it cleaned up even easier. I attribute that not much as many rounds through the bolt as the M16 and I didn't run it as hard. And both guns were suppressed DI guns, so they do get plenty dirty.

Cleaned up all the carbon on both BCG and just used 1 drop of Frog Lube for the outside of the BCG and 1 drop for the inside where the bolt actually rides inside the carrier and that's it. The bolts look clean and dry, but have a real slick feel to them. I have never been a fan of putting so much lube in a AR platform where you see it blow everywhere and it seep all over you when you shoot. Plus shooting suppressed, it just makes the gun even dirtier.</div></div>
I do all my AR shooting suppressed and have had mixed results when running with minimal lube.
However, when lubed with a quality lubricant the way that I have previously described, I have never had any issues.
(I do agree that lubricants should not be applied so heavily that they are dripping all over the place.)
As far as lube "making the gun dirtier", quality lubricants used in the right amounts will keep the gun cleaner.
This is done by keeping the particulate matter in suspension thus allowing it to flow and collect in "safe" areas that wont inhibit the operating mechanism.
Additionally, most quality lubricants have detergents in them that make cleaning a snap.
That is what you can just "wipe off" the BCG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norskone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Bit off topic but why not use ATF vs a motor oil? I have been running ATF for a few years now and dont think I'll ever change. Sure it will stain your shirt if you run really wet but other than that ATF seems like the best choice.</div></div>
ATF fluid is a great product, but is too thin.
(Not to mention that it stinks when it burns and is a complete mess…)
wink.gif

ehh, Ive been using M-Pro 7 for years for my pistols and rifles. like it, prob wont change.

I use frogslube - for the simplicity and it works like a CLP product. I really like the product alot. It also smells great and isn't toxic which is very important to me.

When I do buy my GAP10 or any other high-end rifle, I will use only what they recommend me to use.