• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate long range soft case

usmc7980

Sarge
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Springfield MO USA
Looking for ideas on what everybody would like from a long range soft case, what size, material type, features, pouches and pockets, price points you would be willing pay?

I'm thinking mass production for sale in retail. Start throwing the ideas

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude
I should've known better and picked up the Savior precision rifle case, it's too dang bulky and heavy with more pockets than needed. It's almost a hybrid soft/hard case. I have a pack to carry gear in and do not want to load everything in a case as it becomes way heavier than most would like. As a note-I'm perfectly able to carry it, I'm "in the gym" so no stupid f'ing comments.
May look at the Armageddon Gear case or the Bulldog one isn't bad either. For smaller guns, the Eagle or Blackhawk! folding pack mat is really good.

I would like the case to be cordura, 1/2" closed cell foam, enough room for a typical small pillow type rear bag, maybe a small data book and/or ammo carrier wallet. I like the 4 fastex buckle one I have (as they can be replaced, are adjustable) If a zipper goes, it's hard to fix. All of the items can fit around the gun provided they aren't hard or damaging to the gun.

Yup, small d ring to lash a section of 550 cord to hang up. I use a small plastic disc, thread the cord through that way when I loop the cord around the shelf wire, the disc gets run through the loop to secure it, no tying anything.

Reactions: btuse
i have 2 lynx defense

built like tanks, ive beaten the piss out of them and they look new

use the materials they use as a start

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
My desired material is heavy duty wax canvas, bridle leather, and brass zippers. Decidedly non-tactical.

I also want one that’s deep enough to fit a side folder stock without bulging, and kinda short. Like 36” or so… perfect for a side folder rifle with 16” barrel and suppressor.

like this just bigger. They used to make a thicker one for $100 that was great and held a 28 inch PRS rifle. Now they only make this smaller one for $59 . Need the old one back.

Last edited:
TAC Force, many years now since they disappeared. One of the best quality soft cases ever mfg. Heavy D-rings to hang the loaded bag in the load out room. Lots of padding, separate compartment for kit accessories, internal velcro support tie downs. When protecting a $5-20K rifle, the price point for a soft case seems moot especially @ $2.00 / round expendables.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 8.54.49 AM copy.png

IMG_5904 copy.jpg
IMG_5905 copy.jpg
IMG_5906 copy.jpg
IMG_5908 copy.jpg
IMG_5909 copy.jpg
IMG_6664 copy.jpg

+1 on a lot of the comments. #1 is no value adde features. NO other pockets, etc.

Friend (deployed but with spare money and time so stuff comes to my house) just got a couple cases and doing the best he can, WAY too heavy and full of floppy pockets. Have been trying them, as I shoot his guns and just to try them so I know. Nope.

Far and away my favorite case is the Grey Ghost one. No name, just their Rifle Case:

Use it all the time, several friends have one as it's great. But... one size. That exactly, in many lengths, should exist. Box, double zippers, a few hooks for optional straps, hangar loop, carry handles, bit of velcro. Velcro loop overall lining for optional strapping down or blocking is fine, add that.

LT makes a few like it, not sure of them as I have never seen one. Nice version:
Fits into a specific hard case. Not a bad deal there.

Second favorite and my default for the bolt gun is the long discontinued Eagle DB-BS.
Also fits neatly into the Pelican case so I can carry a hard case to the range, then pull this out for shooting off, and just to move it otherwise.

It sorta looks like LT makes a clone of this now:

Reactions: mark5pt56
+1 on a lot of the comments. #1 is no value adde features. NO other pockets, etc.

Friend (deployed but with spare money and time so stuff comes to my house) just got a couple cases and doing the best he can, WAY too heavy and full of floppy pockets. Have been trying them, as I shoot his guns and just to try them so I know. Nope.

Far and away my favorite case is the Grey Ghost one. No name, just their Rifle Case:

Use it all the time, several friends have one as it's great. But... one size. That exactly, in many lengths, should exist. Box, double zippers, a few hooks for optional straps, hangar loop, carry handles, bit of velcro. Velcro loop overall lining for optional strapping down or blocking is fine, add that.

LT makes a few like it, not sure of them as I have never seen one. Nice version:
Fits into a specific hard case. Not a bad deal there.

Second favorite and my default for the bolt gun is the long discontinued Eagle DB-BS.
Also fits neatly into the Pelican case so I can carry a hard case to the range, then pull this out for shooting off, and just to move it otherwise.

It sorta looks like LT makes a clone of this now:
That's the one I have and like, actual Eagle Industries. I wish they made a shorter one for an AR, I sometimes fold the nd in with shorter guns.

That Larue bag may be nice but please explain wtf makes it cost 360? Really?

My desired material is heavy duty wax canvas, bridle leather, and brass zippers. Decidedly non-tactical.

I also want one that’s deep enough to fit a side folder stock without bulging, and kinda short. Like 36” or so… perfect for a side folder rifle with 16” barrel and suppressor.
We already have a few waxed canvas almost exactly as you describe

Eagle HSRC if you can find one. Whenever they come up on the Hide they go fast. Last 2 sold within a hour.

Reactions: D_TROS
I’ll never understand why anyone would want to carry much other than a rifle in a soft rifle case. Don’t you folks have backpacks? If you do and those are full too, you’re carrying too much crap 🤣
Agree with you that PRS stuff goes into backpacks cause that crap is bulky and heavy, so...binos, sandfilled gamechangers, tripods, etc. However, if I'm managing a bunch of rifles, I want multiple bags, and each bags is pre-packed with a specific rifle's kit.

The galati gear elite drag bag if it had a few more pockets for stuff and a little better fold out material

FHF gear made an amazing long range bag that doubled as a gear bag. They quit making them, probably because they were really expensive. I wish I would have bought one when they made them. I like it because it had a padded rifle case in the middle and some awesome storage pockets on both sides. It also looked more like a duffle bag, it was hard to tell a rifle was in there. It was a great bag.

Armegedon gear is the alpha soft case. Unless you can do it better for cheaper, it's a waste of time and effort.
This right here ^^^ but for me just add more padding maybe double it and DO NOT fold it up when shipping it....my latest AG bag looks like a floppy dog ear.

Reactions: reelserious
Minimal branding, minimal pockets, sized to fit inside a pelican. That grey ghost above would be sweet at 50” to fit in a 1750.

Reactions: shoobe01
What I run: https://triadtactical.com/triad-precision-rifle-carry-case/

Pros:
  • Coyote color
  • Double zippers
  • Cleaning rod holder
  • Front band allows for hanging when not in use
  • Reasonable padding
  • Muzzle pocket
  • Internal straps
  • Lays flat for shooting mat in a pinch
  • Optional back pack straps
  • Pockets big enough for what ever you need but collapse down well
  • No strap on handles to capture them together
  • Molle in pockets
Wish list
  • Velcro on outside for patches etc
  • Longer length than 52” for silencers

Tac Ops is overpriced gear queer shit, just like their rifles. You plan on doing a stalk?

Triad and Armageddon make the best products on the market.

TAC Force, many years now since they disappeared. One of the best quality soft cases ever mfg. Heavy D-rings to hang the loaded bag in the load out room. Lots of padding, separate compartment for kit accessories, internal velcro support tie downs. When protecting a $5-20K rifle, the price point for a soft case seems moot especially @ $2.00 / round expendables.

View attachment 8093458
View attachment 8093446View attachment 8093448View attachment 8093450View attachment 8093451View attachment 8093453View attachment 8093455
Good carbine case I may get one myself

My favorite thing about 'drag bags' is the handles are always sewn like 6" too far back so the muzzle end just goes straight to the dirt. 🙄

I use a Precision Underground Dragmat & couldn't possibly be happier with it.

Reactions: Vengeful1
Definitely have PALS webbing with movable straps to secure the rifle. Not having that has kept me from buying other bags before. I think the Savior precision bag is a pretty good one if you aren't looking for a shooting mat type drag bag. If you made one with better materials and a larger zipper that was really good, or a combination of the Galati deluxe bag and the Savior Precison bag, you might have something. I'm not a big fan of the rifle shape bags. I like the rectangular shape bag that I can lay out flat and shoot on, maybe thats just me?

I have this LaRue discreet soft case. It is very modular after you purchase a lot of accessory velcro dividers / tie downs etc. It is well fabricated. I have a rather short version for this Noveske N4 SBR.

second shown.
I have this GreyGhost in coyote for a Colt 6951 9mm 16" carbine. It too is well fabricated with nice mesh internal pockets and velcro lined to used tie downs.

Neither have any exterior billboarding of mfg. or tactical broadcasting whatever.

DSCN3177 copy.JPG
DSCN3175 copy.JPG
IMG_3164a copy.jpg
IMG_6669a.jpg
IMG_6671a.jpg
IMG_6670.jpg

I've been using one made by Galati for the last 8-10 years and taken it to many different matches and activities. Very flexible and affordable for all the features. When I use a Pelican hardcase, I take out the foam inserts and the Galati bag fits perfect. I use it for my large PRS and heavy long range rifles and also for lighter DMR/Recce rifles. Cool thing is it serves multiple purposes, such as a case/backpack/dragbag/shooting mat and is not only tough and durable, but serves in all functions equally well. Mine still looks like brand new and it has seen some fair use in each of its multiple roles. I would recommend it to others, would buy another if needed, and suggest you give this a look as a starting point for your own creation.
https://www.galatiinternational.com/deluxe-shooters-mat-olive-drab-galati-gear.html

My favorite thing about 'drag bags' is the handles are always sewn like 6" too far back so the muzzle end just goes straight to the dirt. 🙄

I use a Precision Underground Dragmat & couldn't possibly be happier with it.
LOL, BDTD.
The Eagle drag bag was notorious for this trait. Funny thing is that all the companies that copied the Eagle design, didn't bother to make the simple fix of moving the handles forward a little.

We did balance test our Precision Rifle Carry Case for just this reason.

LOL, BDTD.
The Eagle drag bag was notorious for this trait. Funny thing is that all the companies that copied the Eagle design, didn't bother to make the simple fix of moving the handles forward a little.

wilson-dan-appreciate-about-you.gif

LOL, BDTD.

Yours are balanced perfect.

Any plans to make a longer option, now that cans are becoming ubiquitous?

Reactions: carbonbased
Eagle HSRC if you can find one. Whenever they come up on the Hide they go fast. Last 2 sold within a hour.

by far and away the best bag i have. sad they stopped making them.

fits in pelican. opens big enough to shoot off and have all kinds of ear on it as well...love it.

DT

What I run: https://triadtactical.com/triad-precision-rifle-carry-case/

Pros:
  • Coyote color
  • Double zippers
  • Cleaning rod holder
  • Front band allows for hanging when not in use
  • Reasonable padding
  • Muzzle pocket
  • Internal straps
  • Lays flat for shooting mat in a pinch
  • Optional back pack straps
  • Pockets big enough for what ever you need but collapse down well
  • No strap on handles to capture them together
  • Molle in pockets
Wish list
  • Velcro on outside for patches etc
  • Longer length than 52” for silencers
Second this Triad rec, favorite softcase to date. Quality material, well balanced, i do wish the larger front pocket maybe had an internal mesh or divider but no problem living without.

Tacops is above all others. They seem to have thought of everything youd want in a drag bag. My Armageddon xm2010 just stays in my pelican 1750 collecting dust now