• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate Reloader's 14 Single Stage Press Shootout

strat81

Misanthropic Realist
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Hamilton County, Nebraska
Did we discuss this yet?

Single Stage Press Shootout - Full Article

Data Summaries & Conclusion

Precision-Rollup-Wide.jpg

Features-specs-wide-1.1.jpg

Some things that I took away:
-The Frankford Arsenal M-Press might look like a Co-Ax, but it doesn't have that oh-so-easy sizing force the Forster Co-Ax has. Other numbers are middling at best. Between the price and the Chi-com manufacturing, I don't really have any desire to own this press.
-The Iron Press had the highest sizing force. Suprising since its older brother LNL Classic is on the lower side.
-Despite having the most average ram slop, the Lee Classic Cast Iron had runout numbers in line with the Prazipress (the ~$900 German uber-press).
-RCBS Summit posted some of the best runout numbers. Maybe there is something to its different method of operation.
-RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme appears to be above average in all categories and coming in 3rd for sizing force. Not bad for the price and age of the design.
-I learned Lyman makes reloading presses. I had no idea.

What do you all think? No dog in the fight here as I don't own a single stage press. If I had to make a purchase decision based on those results, I'd be looking at a Summit or Rock Chucker.

Reactions: lash
I think that dude's site and Youtube channel is one big infomercial. I don't think I'd draw any conclusions from a single sample let alone a single sample from such a source.
That's a valid criticism and I think there's a Catch-22 involved. For a press that performed poorly, if the same model was re-tested and showed similar bad numbers, then the press is junk. If it was re-tested and showed good numbers, then quality control from that manufacturer is questionable.

I think that dude's site and Youtube channel is one big infomercial. I don't think I'd draw any conclusions from a single sample let alone a single sample from such a source.
I’ve watched his channel and met him many times over the years. It’s more infomercial these days because he has demonetized his channel and now works solely of sponsorships, so yeah there’s that. It’s painful to watch him build a really nice the 300 PRC custom and then put a 600 dollar amazon scope on it and say it’s gonna be perfect. That magnum caliber gonna wreck those internals. His reloading stuff doesn’t give a lot of info on how to (probably for liability). But I do enjoy watching his stuff on the lathe, even though some of what he does and says when it comes to precision rifle is cringeworthy. In the end, it’s more like a visual catalog for what’s available and I don’t have any issue with that.

Reactions: LeadZeke
I don't care what his test shows, the RCBS Summit press is the biggest piece of shit I've ever laid a hand on and my Coax is one of the nicest.

My run-out is virtually non existent so I don't need a brand ambassador to retro actively validate my purchases for me.

To each their own, though.

I don't care what his test shows, the RCBS Summit press is the biggest piece of shit I've ever laid a hand on and my Coax is one of the nicest.

My run-out is virtually non existent so I don't need a brand ambassador to retro actively validate my purchases for me.

To each their own, though.
What problems did you have with your Summit? Did RCBS customer service help at all?

The bottom where the base mounts to the ram had all kinds of slop in it, couldn't handle the torque generated by the press and the entire ram would wiggle in the base.

Dumb design.

Reactions: steve123
It's crap, get a rockchucker supreme, still have mine in the garage

The coax is worth it but it's definitely in another price bracket than the RCBS

Reactions: CanSniper
The MEC Marksman didn’t get much love besides the “smoothest/easiest/most effortless, however you’d like to put it, ram to operate” comment

But man, I love mine. Even using Hornady custom grade dies, and a Sinclair expander mandrel, my case runout and bullet runout is fantastic. And as mentioned in his video, the ram is so so ridiculously smooth to operate. It’s honestly like a hot knife through room-temp butter.

Only negatives I know about it is that when depriming, apparently some anvils might bounce out...and on my personal press, the body casting is not the most beautiful work I’ve seen.

But I got over the look of the casting pretty quickly once I started using it...and I get around the decapping issue by using my Lee Challenger press as a dedicated decapping press, which also helps keep the MEC beautifully clean

I waited for him to release the info for a while, with great anticipation. It was meh.

I honestly think the press is the least of your worries with reloading... hell, don't bench rest guys reload at the range with an arbor press? Thats pretty simple and low cost. I would take higher end dies over a high dollar press (if I could only afford one of those primo products).

I think consistent brass prep and good consistent reloading practices lead to better results. I've put .5-.75 moa groups through my rifle pretty consistently, when I'm not testing some bullshit abstract idea. I use a shitty lee challenger press I got on sale for like $40. I recently upgraded to a forester micrometer seater, but that didn't really improve anything.

If someone wants to learn precision loading, I think there are better places on YouTube. Panhandle precision, gunblue even.

And all that completely leaves out whether or not the person loading and shooting is a decent marksman. You could have the most perfect cartridges, best rifle, and be slinging them hither and yon.

I waited for him to release the info for a while, with great anticipation. It was meh.

I honestly think the press is the least of your worries with reloading... hell, don't bench rest guys reload at the range with an arbor press? Thats pretty simple and low cost. I would take higher end dies over a high dollar press (if I could only afford one of those primo products).

I think consistent brass prep and good consistent reloading practices lead to better results. I've put .5-.75 moa groups through my rifle pretty consistently, when I'm not testing some bullshit abstract idea. I use a shitty lee challenger press I got on sale for like $40. I recently upgraded to a forester micrometer seater, but that didn't really improve anything.

If someone wants to learn precision loading, I think there are better places on YouTube. Panhandle precision, gunblue even.

And all that completely leaves out whether or not the person loading and shooting is a decent marksman. You could have the most perfect cartridges, best rifle, and be slinging them hither and yon.
Panhandle is ok but he spews a lot of old falsehoods. Like barrel break in

Reactions: Ryridesmotox
I honestly think the press is the least of your worries with reloading... hell, don't bench rest guys reload at the range with an arbor press? Thats pretty simple and low cost.

I think it is due to the fact they probably don't FLS at the range and a arbor press is a very simple way to load very consistant ammunition.

Panhandle is ok but he spews a lot of old falsehoods. Like barrel break in

That's fair. But his load developement series is pretty good. I watched it a few time when I was beginning. But I still don't like the neck turning stuff... too much time consumption for my patience. And my ability to shoot is good, but not good enough to quantify the added time and expense.

That's fair. But he doesn't push it super hard honestly.
I think it is due to the fact they probably don't FLS at the range and a arbor press is a very simple way to load very consistant ammunition.

Yea, I don't know TBH. I saw a dude at the range doing it and kinda asked him about it. Interesting way to do stuff, but not for me.

IMO, the Prazipress would greatly benefit from using a Warner shell holder because they are made as well as the press is. It should have given the lowest runout numbers.

You'd have to own a Prazi to grasp how well made they are.

The G1 Summit was truely a POS! What was mentioned is absolutely true, concept is good, execution was a fail. The G2 is supposedly better???

I’ve seen many of his videos on other tools and a few of his tapes on builds and load testing. It kills the time if I’m on a stationary bike.

I haven’t watched the one on the presses yet, so I’ve got nothing to add on his video.

I will say, I was gifted a RockChucker as a kid and I still run it. I have another one I inherited that is about 25 years old but NIB. Based on what I have seen of other presses I have used, and comments above, I’m going to stick with the old RockChucker.

At the range, I have several different ones I have used. That includes everything from a Lee hand press to K&M arbor with a force pack, to clamping down a turret press. They all have their PROS and CONS.

In Bench Rest, the typical Wilson dies for seating don’t require any external stability from a press. You can even run a mallet if you like. On occasion when we size, their size dies are a similar concept where the dies run without the need for piloting from a press.

When necessary to run FL size at the field, it isn’t hard to run standard dies and clamp a press to a workbench. The chambers on BR guns are often cut with such tight necks we don’t need to FL size very often so we just touch up the necks and typically play games with jam or jump. Using the regular Wilson seater means we don’t really need a press that often.

If there is ever a BR event nearby, I highly recommend it as a learning experience even if you never plan to try it. You will get to see a different level of loading and shooting.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
After having a look.
I don't think any of that data means much at all and is not something i'd look at buying a press.

Things like the LEE breech lock challenger which is listed by him at $68.0, now what are the tolerances on a press that cost all of $68?
And what is the point of testing one? I'm sure they range from pretty good to almost unusable crap depending on how lucky you are when you buy it.

statements like
"I decided to use Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass for these tests because it had case neck thickness consistency of ~0.0002″."

Really, two ten thousandths?

And for consistancy

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/0...nc-prazipress-120mm-reloading-press-overview/

So in this article, the $950 german press preformed better, maybe differnt dies or maybe he was having a better day,
but then you see he is using digital calipers accurate +/- 0.001" so the measurements are a bit meaningless.

I can’t watch his videos.
I'm too old and grumpy listen to that.

I wish I had his lathe though.