• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate Youth rifle purchase or build (suggestions)

Macdaddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Clarke County, VA
I am looking to put together (or purchase and adapt) a very light, handy youth rifle suitable for whitetail deer hunting. The stock needs to be adjustable or available in a very short LOP (perhaps sub 12"). I am building this for a starter rifle for my three grandsons as they start to hunt. My fairly tall 7 year old grandson is already sitting with his father in the tree stand and will shoot under his father's (or my) direct supervision.

Let's preface this discussion with the fact that I already have a 6.5 CM custom build on a Model Seven action that is destined for him so I don't need to worry about building or purchasing something that he (they) can "grow into later." This rifle is specifically being built or purchased for a first rifle suitable for a youngster. Shooting distances will be well under 200 yards and more times than not, less than 100 yards.

I have pretty much decided that the caliber will most likely be 300 AAC Blackout - but will also consider a 243 or 6MM if the right rationale is provided to move that direction over the 300 BO. I am favoring the Blackout due to the short barrel required (16"), the extremely light recoil, and I already load for this caliber. {Please, I have studied the options and there are many, many of them so let's not move this thread into a long-winded discussion /debate about which calibers are better than others.}

I also would prefer that the rifle be a bolt action (keeps them from simply popping off rounds) but would entertain a semi-auto as long as it's not an AR platform. (I have no issues with ARs as I have several myself, but I really don't want the kids having to deal with "black gun" PC issues. Plus, they tend to be heavy.) Something along the lines of a Mini 30 or Mini 14 might be OK. Again, I would strongly prefer a bolt rifle.

Thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Tikka youth is all you need. My sons 243 I had cut at 20” . Shooting suppressed with a 3-15 PSTII my 10yr first time out never missed all the way to 500yr. They are nail drivers. My brother bought a 6.5 creed stainless /laminated model and it will shoot nickel groups with ease as well.

Bolt rifles are awesome. ARs are also awesome. I don’t have kids (yet), but I don’t know if I will be sheltering my kids from a very evident political climate. I suppose I’ve always been one of exposing truth. Also, ARs are incredibly light weight in their base configuration. Heck a BCM 14.5” rifle with their ELW barrel weighs 6 pounds and their 12” 300 Blk pistol is at 5.6 pounds.

Anyways, any caliber you listed would work great. You never stated a budget but “ultimate” to me would include a MCS CS Stock or an XLR Element Magnesium or Carbon. A Tikka T3x Lite barreled action would probably be an excellent base.

I understand where you are coming from, but I personally think the Howa mini-action in either 7.63x39 or 6.5 grendel would be a top option. My Preference being the 6.5.
The blackout is an excellent little cartridge, they do make a short barrel 700, 783 and a model 7 in blackout. Ruger also makes a bolt gun in .300 blk, the problem you'll run into is stock selection. I don't believe any are available in a youth stock. Of course, boyds will sell you an AT One adjustable stock for a very reasonable 200 bones.

Reactions: XLR308
I went through this when my son was getting old enough to hunt with me. I needed a gun that had a short length of pull because of his tyrannosaur arms, but wanted easy adjustment so that I could shoot it too. I wanted a detachable box magazine so that I could easily be in control of the ammunition. I wanted a visually identifiable safety so that I could easily make sure it was on safe when it should be. I wanted a good trigger. And, I wanted an accurate rifle. The decision was easy. AR15!!! I mean, you could go min14...
Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 7.44.48 AM.png

As for the PC hand-wringers, tell your grandson to tell them to fuck off.

I have a very handy CZ 527 in 300 AAC that I purchased for the exact same reasons. LOP might be the only box it doesn't check but the stock can be cut down if necessary. It's a micro Mauser action that is smooth, accurate, nice trigger, and light. The barrel is 1:8 tw so shoots the heavy stuff well and is threaded from the factory for suppressors or muzzle devices (not that they are necessary). The magazine leaves a bit to be desired but is functional overall.

This is what I did for my kids
They can shoot it, I can shoot it, and the wife can shoot it.

6.5 with a brake
Although I do swap scopes around depending on what it’s being used for at the time

Attachments

• FEF083E4-06BB-4871-B5AB-D11C3D8899B0.jpeg
    FEF083E4-06BB-4871-B5AB-D11C3D8899B0.jpeg
    576.5 KB · Views: 1,162
Reactions: Krazy_jim
Howa mini action, 6.5 Grendel. Just get the factory stock, heavy (threaded) barrel, cut 1.25” off the back and install new recoil pad. Hog out barrel channel a little, the stocks flex quite a bit.

Not sure what your views on the action are but Ruger has the American Ranch in 300 blackout as well as 7.62x39....both with 16” barrels....the 300 blackout uses AR15 magazines and the 7.62x39 uses mini 30 magazines but could use AR mags in some different chassis/stock options. Or if you so chose the RAP 6.5 Grendel that uses AR15 magazines...but it has a 22” barrel...which you could always chop down if you wanted

If you wanted to go that route you could get a chassis from Indian Creek Design. They have an AR15 magazine chassis for the Americans. The chassis has interchangeable fore ends so you could decide which fore end best meets your needs. There is one that allows the use of AR15 handguards....I personally like the Johnny fore end that has a full length Arca rail on bottom, as well as m-lok slots on Left/Right/Bottom sides of it running the length of the fore end. Chassis body plus Johnny fore end weighs 1.5 pounds.

Toss a lightweight buffer tube/lightweight stock/lightweight grip and you could be sub 3 pounds for the chassis system. Probably around 8 pounds before optics.

Reactions: Macdaddy
This is what I did for my kids
They can shoot it, I can shoot it, and the wife can shoot it.

6.5 with a brake
Although I do swap scopes around depending on what it’s being used for at the time
I really like the Manners MCS-CS stock as suggested by you and PBWalsh, but OMG, they are expensive as heck. Not to say I won't bite the bullet on that one though.

I got this 224 Valkyrie for sale....5 shot hole in hole groups!

Attachments

• 67587728-C6FA-4292-A8C1-D70FA9AD9E96.jpeg
    67587728-C6FA-4292-A8C1-D70FA9AD9E96.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 205
  • E7A2F7F2-8860-4B1D-8E53-1DA304329087.jpeg
    E7A2F7F2-8860-4B1D-8E53-1DA304329087.jpeg
    490.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 5D4B4DDC-5610-49D1-8342-3D65D0D1A58A.jpeg
    5D4B4DDC-5610-49D1-8342-3D65D0D1A58A.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 207
  • F4B267D5-AF85-4343-B885-345CE0C6F52B.jpeg
    F4B267D5-AF85-4343-B885-345CE0C6F52B.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 154
My 10yr old daughter runs my old McMillan a3-5 with all the spacers pulled out pretty well. It's in 223ai form when she runs it so between that the weight of the rifle and the can it's very tame.

Attachments

• 20191112_205111.jpg
    20191112_205111.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 148
As stated above by so many others the Manners CS stock in either version works great for youths. We see people use Vudoo's or centerfires in them alot with great results. Also, going with the mini-chassis you could swap barreled actions in the stock and have a plinker and a real shooter.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions on our products please don't hesitate to reach out and I'll be glad to help.

I can also be reached at [email protected]

A .300 BLK pistol like some of the others already mentioned could be a nice and lightweight option, provided the bullet selection is right. I had built one and its lightweight as hell...just put a lightweight 1-6 scope as you are hunting mostly within 200 yards max. No need to spend a lot of money in a some hunting rifle which he or she is not going to use later as you already have a 6.5 CM built for him.

You can also enjoy the .300 AAC pistol later as a fun plinker once he stops hunting with it.

The Q Fix is almost $3k+ and has a 323 day wait backorder. Interesting concept, though it is seriously creeping int he SRS A2 territory with the that pricing.

Last edited:
I really like the Manners MCS-CS stock as suggested by you and PBWalsh, but OMG, they are expensive as heck. Not to say I won't bite the bullet on that one though.
This is also my plan. I need a multi use stock that can be adjusted for the kids and wife.

I took an xlr element and put a magpul six position stock on it. My 5yr old can get behind it pretty comfortable. He is not quite ready to shoot it, but he will be able to when that time comes. I also like that i can extend it out and have a full length of pull for me. I like this better than having a dedicated youth stock. It is rapidly adjusted for adults and smaller kids.

I liked the 6.5 grendel idea above. Low recoil with decent down range performance

I think Howa 1500 in 6.5 Grendel chks all the bxs for a Youth’s first deer rifle

As stated above by so many others the Manners CS stock in either version works great for youths. We see people use Vudoo's or centerfires in them alot with great results. Also, going with the mini-chassis you could swap barreled actions in the stock and have a plinker and a real shooter.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions on our products please don't hesitate to reach out and I'll be glad to help.

I can also be reached at [email protected]
Robert, Can the MCS-CS2 be fitted with the Tikka mini chassis?