• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimatum Deadline - why aren't more people building on this?

cashewnut

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
By all accounts this seems to be well made and the people that have them, like them. Curious why they aren't more popular? JP uses them for their MR-19 rifle. I know they often require some minor chassis modifications (shorter mag catch, trimming the rear action screw, etc.). Is that why more people aren't building on them?

For anyone that does have one, do you still like it and would you build on it again today given the choice?

The original Ultimatum actions had a super heavy bolt lift, which I believe killed some momentum for the brand. My understanding is they fixed that with their newer actions though.

As you mention, the oversized bolt creates issues with feeding if the rifle is not setup properly. It's also not a true R700 footprint, so it usually requires some work to fit in R700 stocks and chassis', it's not a straight drop-in unless you get a chassis specifically inletted for it (MDT ACC is the only one I know of that has a specific inlet for it). The trend these days is a setup that is easy and convenient for the end user: buy an action, buy a pre-fit shouldered barrel, torque the barrel on at home and straight drop it in a chassis and go shooting. The Ultimatum doesn't fit that consumer model.

Too many quirks and no real compelling reason to go for that action, in my personal opinion. The action market is full of excellent options, and I can't think of any reason why I would pick an Ultimatum over say a Bighorn, Defiance, ARC, Impact, Lone Peak, Terminus etc.

The original Ultimatum actions had a super heavy bolt lift, which I believe killed some momentum for the brand. My understanding is they fixed that with their newer actions though.

As you mention, the oversized bolt creates issues with feeding if the rifle is not setup properly. It's also not a true R700 footprint, so it usually requires some work to fit in R700 stocks and chassis', it's not a straight drop-in unless you get a chassis specifically inletted for it (MDT ACC is the only one I know of that has a specific inlet for it). The trend these days is a setup that is easy and convenient for the end user: buy an action, buy a pre-fit shouldered barrel, torque the barrel on at home and straight drop it in a chassis and go shooting. The Ultimatum doesn't fit that consumer model.

Too many quirks and no real compelling reason to go for that action, in my personal opinion. The action market is full of excellent options, and I can't think of any reason why I would pick an Ultimatum over say a Bighorn, Defiance, ARC, Impact, Lone Peak, Terminus etc.
100%
If you going to go outside the box (fit/drop in) make it something special or different.
The juice isn’t worth the squeeze sometimes

I've got one, it isnt any different than 700 actions. Diameter and bolt spacing is same. Some chassis will need a slight clearnce for trigger hanger, but not any different than other 700 clones with trigger hangers. The lug is 5/16" thick, most actions have 1/4", but theres several aftermarket lugs that are taller/thicker. Mine dropped into a manners mini chassis gen2 without issue, no binding or torque induced stress. Same story on a bravo and whiskey 3 chassis. Mine is currently in an aics. On that chassis I needed to mill the recoil lug pocket in front of lig for clearance, as it is a slip fit for 1/4" lugs and not happening with the deadline lug. The deadline lug is shorter than a tl3 lug, which the tl3 lug wont work in ai chassis. I did bed rear tang on that aics, but I do that to every action that's been in that aics.

Comparing bolt lift to other actions, it's not as light as a tl3, defiance deviant, or impact. It's not as light as my well used aiae mk2 or mk3, or my nitrided 2013 action. It is alot smoother/lighter than my aiat I had. It's harder to make it bind like my tl3 and defiance were, when you push forward on it. I preferred it to my at, as far as action feel. It will never be as light as an impact, but you are comparing a 60°to a 90°.
20191224_114829.jpg
20190905_152450.jpg

Reactions: Massoud and Wyzrd
I just finished a 6 x 47L build a week ago. I dropped the barreled action into a donor Manners T-2A. The stock came from Manners prepped for a Bighorn Tl-2 and I had to very slightly relieve the aft side of the bolt handle channel. Other that, it dropped right in. I'm not a fan of trigger hangars, but there was no stock to hangar interference either.

I have since placed a new T-2A order with Manners for the Deadline with all the proper dimensions. I was under no delusion that the Deadline would drop into the donor Manners/Bighorn prep, but happily, it did.

Have had it to the range once and it's a tack driver. I suspect the bolt lift might be heavier on the Deadline than the TL-2, but the lift on the Deadline didn't bother me at all.

In talking with Manners, it appears that the mag release length is different between an AW and an AICS cut action. Meaning, it's more of a universal topic than being isolated to just one action manufacturer. I have and will continue to use AICS mags, my TL-2's are AICS cut and that is what I ordered the new stock as. Manners were really helpful explaining all of the nuances between the AICS and AW systems.

All in all, I'm very happy with with my Deadline, no criticisms against it. The only thing I would change is to get rid of the trigger hangar. But, I'm not going to have to be messing with it once the rifle is together, so that's not really even a knock against it.

Signed,

Happy Deadline customer.

Last edited:
Comparing bolt lift to other actions, it's not as light as a tl3, defiance deviant, or impact. It's not as light as my well used aiae mk2 or mk3, or my nitrided 2013 action. It is alot smoother/lighter than my aiat I had. It's harder to make it bind like my tl3 and defiance were, when you push forward on it. I preferred it to my at, as far as action feel. It will never be as light as an impact, but you are comparing a 60°to a 90°.

Thanks for the info. How would you compare the smoothness and effort of closing the Ultimatum action vs. a BigHorn, Defiance, Impact, etc.? And what about build quality vs. the others?

Last edited:
I've got a b n a tacsport pro 2 stage in mine with the low sear. There is a little cock on close, equal to the tl3 I had, less than the origin, and more than the defiance and impact. The thing that bugged me, even with lubed bolts, is how the 90° actions I've mention could be made to bind when starting to push the bolt forward from fully open. The bighorns were worse, maybe the floating boltheads, but even the defiance I had could bind just a hair. I think part of that is due to those actions have their 2 lug ears guiding bolt in raceway. The deadlines large bolt body is very similar to an ai. The bolt OD is the same OD as the edge of bolt lugs, the round body is gliding in the round action. Just less corners and edges to initiate binding. It uses the beefy bolt release to control and limit rotation and travel in the groove on bolt body, just like an ai. I do like that, opposed to using the backside of a lapped lug to hit the bolt stop every time its cycled. I've saw several defiance and custom 700s with peened lug from bolt stop impacts.

I have 2. They are good actions. Some minor differences from a generic rem700 footprint but nothing that is too complicated to easily remedy.
The bolt lift isn’t bad, but it’s a 3 lug so you can expect some heavier lift compared to your normal 2 lug actions.
With so many other actions out there, the one or two added steps to drop it in to any Rem700 stock/chassis may not be worth it to some.
If you got one, I don’t think you’d be disappointed.

Reactions: 6brshooter
Can anyone speak to the build quality / craftsmanship of the Deadline vs. Bighorn, Defiance, Impact, etc.? Comparable?

Easily equal to those. The only custom action I had that was just a let down was an axiom. Every machined corner was left sharp, except exterior radius of ejection port. Feed ramp, lug abutments, magwell opening, etc. It was really bad about gouging shoulders and nks during extraction of fired brass, not a big deal if you dont reload, but it's pretty tough on fireformed nk turned brass. It also had one lug that made zero contact with lug abutment.

The deadline is nicely machined/finished, every edge has a nice radius/blend. A very nice action. The gentleman that I bought mine from had a timney on it and said "bolt lift wasnt too bad." With a trigger and proper sear height, it is pretty good for a 60°. I do think the axiom had a nicer bolt lift, because of roller cocking piece, but at the sacrifice of everything else.

20191224_115049.jpg
20191224_115535.jpg
20191224_115035.jpg

Some pics of action, you can see the edges and corners. Just nicely finished action. Bolt glides like butter, but steeper cocking ramp is noticeable compared to impact/defiance.

As an aside, the bolt stop has a slot instead of hole for the pin. This takes impact off a little pin/screw. Bolt groove hits stop, and stop slides back a hair to hit pocket in action. If saw several bolt stop pins that have sheared....tikka, I'm looking at you, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: rothgyr and ddavis
I saw the heavy bolt throw and could see a guy not run the action as fast as a 90 degree. The savage threaded barrel is a smart idea but I want something that I can run easily.

My buddy has one. They're nice, but he got it from picking up a cert off the table. Built a dasher off it. Very accurate rifle. With that said, if I were buying a 3 lug, I'd probably go with the terminus or another AI.

Reactions: kthomas
I have an ultimatum in a KRG whiskey 3 folder, with a geissele super 700 and a PVA 24” small shank savage barrel.

I think it’s a phenomenal action and I wouldn’t hesitate to build another one. All I had to do was trim the magazine catch and the safety lever on the trigger, but that’s not the actions fault. The safety on the geissele is super tall and any 3 lug would hit it. My Calvin elite 2 stage fit perfectly.

The action is super smooth to run, I love the 60° throw ending parallel to the ground, vs the AI AX still being up some. I haven’t had a single feeding or firing/extraction issue with it. The dual ejectors will sling your brass out cleanly no matter how slow or fast you are on the bolt, and it’s very consistent. Brass is always in a nice little pile when shooting from the same position. The toolless bolt tear down and bolt head swapping is awesome. The whole action is very smooth and hard to bind. It uses a system similar to AI, with the bolt stop running in the bolt body as has been said. I think this is really the reason why the bolt diameter is bigger. I haven’t gotten any AW mags to use yet (MDTs Black Friday deals were too god) but I don’t see any issues there because it’s 3 lug and cut to feed from the sides.

Overall the action is extremely nice and the fit/finish is top quality. It’s cock on open and close. The action is very smooth and I think the heavy bolt lift/close complaints unfortunately stem from the original action. The open/close cocking feels SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the lift of my AX308. Comparing my Ax action vs deadline: The deadline has a lighter bolt lift/close, easier/cheaper bolt head swapping (It’s like $150 for a new head vs $700 for a whole new bolt body for the AI), and while similar I think the deadline firing pin removal is slightly easier. Smoothness is about the same. The AX safety and barrel change system are my preference for sure, but no Remington 700 clone will ever be able to replicate those so you can’t really hold it against the deadline. A 3 lug action will never feel as light as a 2 lug simply because of the bolt rotation distances. However, I can cycle the deadline faster than any of the 2 lugs I’ve played with, and definitely faster/easier than my AX308.

Reactions: Massoud
Sample size of one and neither I nor my buddy compete but his early (sub 100 sn action iirc) has had more issues than my nuke build. Started with fitment issues in his ACC (which I believe MDT has since rectified). He eventually settled with a KRG Bravo that needed Dremel work for the safety of his TriggerTech to clear and for the mag catch to work with aics mags. Had a failure with his firing pin and a recall for what I believe was the bolt stop at some point. I will say Ultimatum's customer support was top notch and proactive with the recall. They sent him a new fire pin assembly and I believe asked for the broken one back so they could inspect it. They were also very timely in answering my own emails when I was debating between the Deadline and Nucleus.

I want to love the action as the price is great for us Canadians, not to mention being able to support a mostly all Canadian rifle build when dropped into an MDT chassis, but I really feel it doesn't give me much of anything that my two Tikkas can't do for less, let alone my Nuke, which is a different beast altogether. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on them though, as they do have their own rimfire action in the works as well as one based on the Tikka action.

Sample size of one and neither I nor my buddy compete but his early (sub 100 sn action iirc) has had more issues than my nuke build. Started with fitment issues in his ACC (which I believe MDT has since rectified). He eventually settled with a KRG Bravo that needed Dremel work for the safety of his TriggerTech to clear and for the mag catch to work with aics mags. Had a failure with his firing pin and a recall for what I believe was the bolt stop at some point. I will say Ultimatum's customer support was top notch and proactive with the recall. They sent him a new fire pin assembly and I believe asked for the broken one back so they could inspect it. They were also very timely in answering my own emails when I was debating between the Deadline and Nucleus.

I want to love the action as the price is great for us Canadians, not to mention being able to support a mostly all Canadian rifle build when dropped into an MDT chassis, but I really feel it doesn't give me much of anything that my two Tikkas can't do for less, let alone my Nuke, which is a different beast altogether. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on them though, as they do have their own rimfire action in the works as well as one based on the Tikka action.
Ultimatum changed the bolt stop after the very early S/N deadlines. I have around #225 and it came with the new bolt stop already.

The magazine catch trimming is pretty standard across all chassis, but do you remember what kinda fitment issues he had with the MDT? I thought fitment around the trigger was most of the issue vs a standard 700 footprint.

maybe @MDT_Josh can tell us what they had to change to accommodate a deadline vs standard 700?!

Ultimatum changed the bolt stop after the very early S/N deadlines. I have around #225 and it came with the new bolt stop already.

The magazine catch trimming is pretty standard across all chassis, but do you remember what kinda fitment issues he had with the MDT? I thought fitment around the trigger was most of the issue vs a standard 700 footprint.

maybe @MDT_Josh can tell us what they had to change to accommodate a deadline vs standard 700?!

Ultimatum was indeed pretty quick on the fix, and in all fairness, ARC had some issues that were rectified by the time I got my action as well. I will also say that the Deadlines bolt lift is heavier than my nuke with the 19lb spring, but is definitely smoother on closing since you don't have to push a plunger in like on the Nuke. I much prefer having the mechanical ejector on my Nuke though.

His bolt would bind when the rear action screw was torqued down. The temporary fix was a shim under the rear tang. Like I said though, I do believe MDT has fixed the issue with a Deadline specific inlet for the ACC.

Reactions: kingston
Ultimatum was indeed pretty quick on the fix, and in all fairness, ARC had some issues that were rectified by the time I got my action as well. I will also say that the Deadlines bolt lift is heavier than my nuke with the 19lb spring, but is definitely smoother on closing since you don't have to push a plunger in like on the Nuke. I much prefer having the mechanical ejector on my Nuke though.

His bolt would bind when the rear action screw was torqued down. The temporary fix was a shim under the rear tang. Like I said though, I do believe MDT has fixed the issue with a Deadline specific inlet for the ACC.

Yep it was a chassis issue and too long of a rear screw.

Yep it was a chassis issue and too long of a rear screw.

Too long of a rear screw would've just protruded out the back and provided a hard stop, which would've been a quick and easy fix with a grinder or file. The bed for the rear tang was too low in relation to the front, hence the shim fix. Torquing it must of been flexing his rear tang ever so slightly, just enough for the bolt to catch the action. Again though, none of that matters anymore since MDT has a Deadline specific ACC inlet now.

Yeah, I talked to Josh about that. The underside of tang was not supported by chassis, which is a problem in itself. I think their fix was leaving a pad around screw hole for tang to rest on. Pretty much what manners did on their gen2 mini chassis.

Reactions: Northernjets

Too long of a rear screw would've just protruded out the back and provided a hard stop, which would've been a quick and easy fix with a grinder or file. The bed for the rear tang was too low in relation to the front, hence the shim fix. Torquing it must of been flexing his rear tang ever so slightly, just enough for the bolt to catch the action. Again though, none of that matters anymore since MDT has a Deadline specific ACC inlet now.

Yeah, I talked to Josh about that. The underside of tang was not supported by chassis, which is a problem in itself. I think their fix was leaving a pad around screw hole for tang to rest on. Pretty much what manners did on their gen2 mini chassis.

Thanks for the tag! The differences between the R700 SA ACC inlet and the Deadline specific inlet are as follows:
  1. A change in the bedding system to better support the rear of the tang, for the additional material removed in order to run a .850" bolt body.
  2. A shorter rear action screw counterbore, due to the fact that the cocking piece on the bolt is ~2mm (0.080") lower on the Deadline (and other 3 lugs).
  3. A 2.5 mm (0.100") shorter magazine latch as the Deadline has a built in "mag stop shelf" at the rear of the action, to reduce the chance of bolt blocking (not something other 3-lug actions have, but I wish they did).

Hope this clears some things up :)

Josh

Thanks for the tag! The differences between the R700 SA ACC inlet and the Deadline specific inlet are as follows:
  1. A change in the bedding system to better support the rear of the tang, for the additional material removed in order to run a .850" bolt body.
  2. A shorter rear action screw counterbore, due to the fact that the cocking piece on the bolt is ~2mm (0.080") lower on the Deadline (and other 3 lugs).
  3. A 2.5 mm (0.100") shorter magazine latch as the Deadline has a built in "mag stop shelf" at the rear of the action, to reduce the chance of bolt blocking (not something other 3-lug actions have, but I wish they did).

Hope this clears some things up :)

Josh
Good stuff thanks!

I completely forgot about the mag stop shelf too. I can rest the gun solely on the magazine and cycle the action without any hickups or binding.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I've been running the Ultimatum Deadline for the past 2 seasons. My match gun in 6xc, and a 223 trainer. Both my actions were very early SNs. The actions are well built and well machined...i dont think the quality is any different than the other top of the line custom actions.

Just like everything else, action selection comes down to personal preference. I love the 60deg throw, and refuse to use anything other than AW mags in a match rifle. Had to trim the mag latch on both my manners stocks, but that's not new information. Bolt lift on 60 vs 90 deg actions is always stiffer, but Ultimatum has been shipping lighter FP springs with newer actions since my early SN.

I have no plans to change actions for the 2020 season or beyond.

I've been running the Ultimatum Deadline for the past 2 seasons. My match gun in 6xc, and a 223 trainer. Both my actions were very early SNs. The actions are well built and well machined...i dont think the quality is any different than the other top of the line custom actions.

Just like everything else, action selection comes down to personal preference. I love the 60deg throw, and refuse to use anything other than AW mags in a match rifle. Had to trim the mag latch on both my manners stocks, but that's not new information. Bolt lift on 60 vs 90 deg actions is always stiffer, but Ultimatum has been shipping lighter FP springs with newer actions since my early SN.

I have no plans to change actions for the 2020 season or beyond.
How does your 223 run? I’ve tried multiple chassis and mags and just can’t get it to run. Problem I always have is this...
Bolt head pushes round forward, second round pops up after first round is stripped from Mag but the large bolt body of the Deadline always catches that second round and jams. And obviously with 223, smaller rounds so that second round is already presented rather high compared to a 308 case.
Ive trimmed the mag catch but it can only so much until there is way too much play in the magwell.
I tried MDT and Accurate 223 mags in both a KRG W3 and MPA chassis. All same result.

How does your 223 run? I’ve tried multiple chassis and mags and just can’t get it to run. Problem I always have is this...
Bolt head pushes round forward, second round pops up after first round is stripped from Mag but the large bolt body of the Deadline always catches that second round and jams. And obviously with 223, smaller rounds so that second round is already presented rather high compared to a 308 case.
Ive trimmed the mag catch but it can only so much until there is way too much play in the magwell.
I tried MDT and Accurate 223 mags in both a KRG W3 and MPA chassis. All same result.

I have a deadline in 223

the magazine you need is this one

the feed lips are extended forward and this corrects the feeding issues.

Attachments

• B3561316-A10B-4218-BBC8-13E7F90A4007.jpeg
    B3561316-A10B-4218-BBC8-13E7F90A4007.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 57
  • A69A7987-C55E-4582-9A8B-3F09BB39BB47.jpeg
    A69A7987-C55E-4582-9A8B-3F09BB39BB47.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 50
I have those mags exactly actually. They aren’t anything special. Just rebranded Accurate Mags.

The Ruger scout mags are different than the regular Accurate 223 magazines.

Can you post a pic of the feed lips from the side?

The Ruger scout mags are different than the regular Accurate 223 magazines.

Can you post a pic of the feed lips from the side?

Attachments

• D38F101F-25E0-44C9-9ACF-9335E89C6965.jpeg
    D38F101F-25E0-44C9-9ACF-9335E89C6965.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 75

You should give Derek at ultimatum a call, he turned me onto those magazines and they work fine in my gun.

@Stag556 I know the issue you speak of, as its happened with only MDT polymer 223 mags. I've been running the Ruger/Accurate 223 steel mag since the beginning in my Manners Mini-chassis. I had to trim the mag catch, just like for AW mags, but haven't had the same 2nd round catching on the bolt body as with the MDT polymer.

I've also heard that the Ruger scout mags are identical to the Accurate 223, just with a Ruger-branded baseplate.

You should give Derek at ultimatum a call, he turned me onto those magazines and they work fine in my gun.
I’ve spoken with them extensively, but neither one of us could find a solution unfortunately.

Im new member here, Hey you all, my name is Samu Ilmarinen and I live in Finland Europe,

so, I built my new 6br prs rifle actioned with UP ultimatum deadline and Im in deep shit,
Have made several dremel formed and customized Mags, like Magpul AICS 5rd, MDT 6br AICS for example and still having a expensive paperweight...sometimes feeding, but speed, manipulation and all stars and moons has to be in right position, hopeless situation,

There is no reliable feeding at all, MDT spring is too weak to prevent nose diving, Magpul is okay but big jump from feedlips is killer,
ammo is somehow always in some sort of wrong position, nose up, nose down, double feeding,

I have Stiller Predator, works 100%, but its small bolt and Deadline is like tank,

DO ANYONE know how I could keep Deadline action running from mags?

Thank you for great forum and hope to find some medicine to my expensive feeding issue,

my english is shit, but hope my point will come clearly announced,

Samu

Try removing the follower and spring from the mags and stretch each individual section of the spring, not just pulling the whole spring stretching all at once. Lay the bottom spring section flat on a table like it would be sitting in the mag. If the follower is leaning forward or backward, you need to then stretch the sections so that the follower is level like you would see it in the mag. Its almost always a follower spring issue. Since you have a deadline, try using AW mags with either the PVA spacer kit or HRD mag kit. I was having this problem shooting 25 BR and 6 dasher until i fixed the mag spring. If you take care of the mag latch issue with the deadline, the follower spring is really the only culprit. My shooting partner runs a deadline in an MPA chassis with the adjustable mag latch and his action runs like a banshee with 0 issues of feeding ever. You'll get it to work, @Subfin

Im new member here, Hey you all, my name is Samu Ilmarinen and I live in Finland Europe,

so, I built my new 6br prs rifle actioned with UP ultimatum deadline and Im in deep shit,
Have made several dremel formed and customized Mags, like Magpul AICS 5rd, MDT 6br AICS for example and still having a expensive paperweight...sometimes feeding, but speed, manipulation and all stars and moons has to be in right position, hopeless situation,

There is no reliable feeding at all, MDT spring is too weak to prevent nose diving, Magpul is okay but big jump from feedlips is killer,
ammo is somehow always in some sort of wrong position, nose up, nose down, double feeding,

I have Stiller Predator, works 100%, but its small bolt and Deadline is like tank,

DO ANYONE know how I could keep Deadline action running from mags?

Thank you for great forum and hope to find some medicine to my expensive feeding issue,

my english is shit, but hope my point will come clearly announced,

Samu

Buy AW mags...your problems should go away.

Reactions: DisplacedTexan
I've been considering this action, will it fit in a mpa chassis no problem.

Try removing the follower and spring from the mags and stretch each individual section of the spring, not just pulling the whole spring stretching all at once. Lay the bottom spring section flat on a table like it would be sitting in the mag. If the follower is leaning forward or backward, you need to then stretch the sections so that the follower is level like you would see it in the mag. Its almost always a follower spring issue. Since you have a deadline, try using AW mags with either the PVA spacer kit or HRD mag kit. I was having this problem shooting 25 BR and 6 dasher until i fixed the mag spring. If you take care of the mag latch issue with the deadline, the follower spring is really the only culprit. My shooting partner runs a deadline in an MPA chassis with the adjustable mag latch and his action runs like a banshee with 0 issues of feeding ever. You'll get it to work, @Subfin
thank you, Ill start with this, now my spring looks like a banana!

It used to be used for the MDT side match at NRL matches, but the damn thing was so rough they switched it out for a defiance, which was marginally better imo.

60° bolts are heavier than 90° for sure, but AW mags are Superior anyway.

I love my GA Tempest and Terminus Zeus and both are in MDT ACCs with glass bedding.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
It used to be used for the MDT side match at NRL matches, but the damn thing was so rough they switched it out for a defiance, which was marginally better imo.

60° bolts are heavier than 90° for sure, but AW mags are Superior anyway.

I love my GA Tempest and Terminus Zeus and both are in MDT ACCs with glass bedding.
What's your favorite 60 degree action?

What's your favorite 60 degree action?
My Tempest has only had 6 Creed barrels until now. It is now at the gunsmith for a 6 Dasher barrel.

The Terminus Zeus has about 100 rounds through it and I'm still forming 22BR brass, so I couldn't give you an honest opinion between the two yet.

The Terminus has a heavier bolt lift, but I wonder if it's because of the BnA Tacsport sear height. The Tempest has a Jewell in it.

I don't really have anything truly terrible to say about either at all. Both seem great and fulfill my 3 Lug, AW feeding requirements lol

My Tempest has only had 6 Creed barrels until now. It is now at the gunsmith for a 6 Dasher barrel.

The Terminus Zeus has about 100 rounds through it and I'm still forming 22BR brass, so I couldn't give you an honest opinion between the two yet.

The Terminus has a heavier bolt lift, but I wonder if it's because of the BnA Tacsport sear height. The Tempest has a Jewell in it.

I don't really have anything truly terrible to say about either at all. Both seem great and fulfill my 3 Lug, AW feeding requirements lol

I can chime in as well. I've run the Tempest, Axiom, and now Ultimatum Deadlines in at least 1 season of PRS. All are great actions, but have their own quirks.

I believe i had an early GAP Tempest. No issues with feeding/extraction. I did have the cocking piece de-cock a few times, and shut me down on stages. I sold it shortly after.

Moved on to the Axiom. Loved the roller cocking piece and DLC coating....super smooth. I realized that I had too many random AI mag issues, so AW mags has become a 100% requirement for me now. This was well before the Vector was released.

I've had 2 early SN Deadlines, and have only had minimum issues...nothing that stopped me from completing a stage. Bolt stop has been updated, and lighter FP springs installed....which are all standard parts on new actions. Once broken in, I don't recall either action above having significantly lighter bolt lifts.

3 lugs are just heavier...if you are looking for benchrest-light bolt lift, you wont find it in the 3 lug life.

I can chime in as well. I've run the Tempest, Axiom, and now Ultimatum Deadlines in at least 1 season of PRS. All are great actions, but have their own quirks.

I believe i had an early GAP Tempest. No issues with feeding/extraction. I did have the cocking piece de-cock a few times, and shut me down on stages. I sold it shortly after.

Moved on to the Axiom. Loved the roller cocking piece and DLC coating....super smooth. I realized that I had too many random AI mag issues, so AW mags has become a 100% requirement for me now. This was well before the Vector was released.

I've had 2 early SN Deadlines, and have only had minimum issues...nothing that stopped me from completing a stage. Bolt stop has been updated, and lighter FP springs installed....which are all standard parts on new actions. Once broken in, I don't recall either action above having significantly lighter bolt lifts.

3 lugs are just heavier...if you are looking for benchrest-light bolt lift, you wont find it in the 3 lug life.

This is a true statement. The only caveat to that is the nucleus with the 16lb spring which mine has, but if you cant run AW mags, is it really a 3 lug? Is it really?

This is a true statement. The only caveat to that is the nucleus with the 16lb spring which mine has, but if you cant run AW mags, is it really a 3 lug? Is it really?
The nuke with a 16# spring is pretty awesome in the bolt lift department.
It ran great for me but I put the 19# for extra insurance.

Anyone have luck running a Deadline in a chassis or stock with a regular 700 clone inlet, not one specifically for a Deadline? Everything bolts up perfectly in my XLR Envy. Sent them an email inquiring about modifying the mag catch and they said they'd be happy to send me one to modify but unless they inlet a chassis specifically for the Deadline I will have constant feeding issues due to the dimensions on the opening on the bottom of the action.

The nuke with a 16# spring is pretty awesome in the bolt lift department.
It ran great for me but I put the 19# for extra insurance.

knock on wood, i haven't had any light strikes since switching to fed205M's in that rifle. CCI450's are a no go but ive had over 1000 rounds of fed205s without a light strike. I'll take that swap. i like the light bolt lift and close.

knock on wood, i haven't had any light strikes since switching to fed205M's in that rifle. CCI450's are a no go but ive had over 1000 rounds of fed205s without a light strike. I'll take that swap. i like the light bolt lift and close.
I ran CCI#200’s with it with no issues.
I really went to the 19# because I knew I’d be shooting a fair bit this winter in eastern Oregon and it can get a bit chilly there.

Personally I’d be a bit leery about an ultimatum without some experience with it because it’s somewhat easy to find reports of people having issues with fit and function.

Anyone have luck running a Deadline in a chassis or stock with a regular 700 clone inlet, not one specifically for a Deadline? Everything bolts up perfectly in my XLR Envy. Sent them an email inquiring about modifying the mag catch and they said they'd be happy to send me one to modify but unless they inlet a chassis specifically for the Deadline I will have constant feeding issues due to the dimensions on the opening on the bottom of the action.

I have 2 Deadlines running in off-the-shelf Manners T4A's w/mini chassis from Core/Atlas...I believe they are technically cut for Deviance actions. The bolt handle sweep lines up perfectly. No bolt release cutout mod, or ejection port mod. The only mods required are well known:

1. Inside of the stock for the trigger hanger drop, but that was a 2min Dremel job.
2. Shave off the top of the bolt catch for AW mags, another 2min Dremel job.

I've always torqued both front/back actions crews to 65in/lbs and away I go.