• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultra 7 or ultra 9 for 22 creedmoor

jmw

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2018
Missouri
cant decide between 6.5 ultra 7 or 9 22 creedmoor 22 inch barrel. Hunting rifle

Last edited:
Don't dismiss the Dominus and Magnus as well. I'd consider going with a .30 caliber can. It'll give you more options in the future with minimal loss of suppression.

Don't know your application, but either email TBAC or call them directly and discuss your application to get a rec on specific can and mounting method (SR, CB, HUB).

Ray or Zak will give great advice. Just tell them everything you're thinking and what you want it for... and where you might be in 5-10 years with your shooting as well.

Reactions: jmw
I eamailed them and they replied that they hadn’t tested on that cartridge but the magnus would be quietest followed by the 9. I did not specify to them that I was going to get a 6.5 can, as I already have a 30 cal 7 in jail, and want this to be dedicated to the 22 creedmoor. The magnus has my eye but don’t know if I want the.extra weight over the nine.

Don't know where your can is in terms of it's sentence, but you could try the .30x7 can first and decide from there.

Just started the process, 2 weeks. Thought I may as well get another going right away

If I was willing to go with the length of the 9 I’d skip right over it and get a magnus, I have one in jail so I did. I also prefer shorter fatter cans when possible and opted for the dominus since it’s very similar in performance to the U7.

I also have a CGS Helios QD Ti that’s similar in size and weight to the dominus. If I could only have one of those it’d be the Helios no questions. I actually just bought a second Helios they’re that great.

Reactions: kthomas and jmw
I'd grab a Magnus for the extra suppression but I'm not to concerned with the weight or length.

I think it depends on the optic you use on your rifle, as well as the barrel length and profile. The Dominus is a great can but I prefer my Ultra 7 on my 16” factory barreled hunting rifles with low powered scopes over my Dominus because less of it shows up in the sight picture through the scope. I really like the form factor of the Dominus on my target/comp rifles with higher powered scopes and fat barrels.

As far as the 7 vs the 9, I’d choose the 7 for more range use, because I shoot with ear pro anyway at the range, and the 7 works really well while still being fairly compact. I’d choose the 9 for a pure hunting rifle for the extra sound reduction because I would not be using ear pro. Same idea would apply for the Dominus vs Magnus for me.

All those suppressors will make the cartridge much more pleasant to shoot. And you'll still have to wear earpro, so ask yourself how much 5dB is really worth it.

It comes down to other factors:

- length
- weight
- cost
- versatility - is this going to be used on other cartridges or platforms?
- back pressure (if going to be used on semis)
- desired recoil impulse
- how you want to mount it (Magnus has HUB option)

I’ve been using an ultra 7 for years hunting and target shooting.

For a dedicated hunting can I’d rather the ultra 5 for shorter and lighter. But I’m out west.

I have a 7 and 9. I can’t really tell much difference in sound. If you already have a 7 pending, I’d skip the 9 and get a magnus.

Reactions: jmw and kthomas
Anyone else with some experience with a 22 Creedmoor 22 inch barrel. I will probably own a Magnus or an ultra 338 but don’t want the extra size and weight on this rifle. I want to know if the 6.5 ultra 9 is worth the extra length over the 7

Probably not, and the extra length of the 7 isn’t worth it over the dominus. I have a dominus and magnus, no desire to own anything inbetween.