• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultra 7. Super impressed

Klay23

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 27, 2021
    South Carolina
    Really impressed after taking my ultra 7 fresh out of atf jail out for a time at the range. If there was an affect on the group size I sure can’t tell. Sound suppression was surprisingly hearing safe on my terminus Zeus with a 24” 223 bug holes barrel. Was not expecting that. I don’t have a meter or anything but after a few rounds I wondered if it would be hearing safe without hearing protection and slid them off and it was no big deal at all. I honestly expected it to be a little hot on the ears but it just wasn’t. Is this what I can expect for the ultra 7? Will it be similar with my 6.5creedmoor barrel? Anyone else run these without ears for more rounds etc…. Just curious what to expect as I know this is a very popular can and lots of you guys have had it for years… thanks in advance

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    223 is a great round suppressed. 6.5 will be as well. Ultra 7 is solid.

Beware that you didn’t hear the “boom” but you certainly heard the supersonic crack. For that reason you still want ear pro.

223 is a great round suppressed. 6.5 will be as well. Ultra 7 is solid.

Beware that you didn’t hear the “boom” but you certainly heard the supersonic crack. For that reason you still want ear pro.
    That’s kind of what I was curious of. I didn’t keep on trying my luck. I only shot with it off for one round. No sting or much harshness. Figured someone else would surely know more than me about this

It will be a little louder with 6.5CM
    Hmmm. So you would still suggest ear pro with 223 and 6.5? I certainly don’t want to do damage to my hearing but I’m sure like everyone else would not wear it if I don’t have to.

That’s kind of what I was curious of. I didn’t keep on trying my luck. I only shot with it off for one round. No sting or much harshness. Figured someone else would surely know more than me about this
    It’s tempting for sure. I’ll be the first to tell you’ve I’ve run a couple without ear pro. But I def had that ringing afterwards and was mad at myself.

It’s tempting for sure. I’ll be the first to tell you’ve I’ve run a couple without ear pro. But I def had that ringing afterwards and was mad at myself.
    Gotcha. Sounds like I should keep the ear pro on if at all possible…

I run my ultra 7’s on all their hosts without ear pro, they are definitely quiet. Never bothers me then or afterwards. I have previous hearing loss from service.

Do as I say, not as I do…. Wear your earpro.

Reactions: Klay23
    I certainly don’t want to do damage to my hearing
    Then stop quibbling about it and wear ear pro. Its not a hardship, mate.

More than a few of us on this board is half deaf from being young and invincible (well, in our own minds we were).

"The 6.5 mm cal ULTRA 7 Gen2 meters at 137 dB (milspec left/right) and 126 dB at shooter's-ear1, shooting Hornady 140 gr ammunition from a 24" AI AX. Compared to the original, the Gen2 is about 1 dB quieter at the muzzle and 1 dB quieter at the shooter's ear."

Last edited:
    Then stop quibbling about it and wear ear pro. Its not a hardship, mate.

More than a few of us on this board is half deaf from being young and invincible (well, in our own minds we were).

"The 6.5 mm cal ULTRA 7 Gen2 meters at 137 dB (milspec left/right) and 126 dB at shooter's-ear1, shooting Hornady 140 gr ammunition from a 24" AI AX. Compared to the original, the Gen2 is about 1 dB quieter at the muzzle and 1 dB quieter at the shooter's ear."
    Oh yeah. I’ve read that same thing on their site. But was surprised at the fact it wasn’t worse when I shot it without “that one time”. Which is why I’m asking the question. A db number means very little to me other than the bigger the number the louder it is. My suppressed 22 is ridiculously quiet and seems to me no ear pro is needed. BUT, what decibel level is that? Of course I’m aware an 22 is not in the same world sound wise. Obviously it’s much quieter, and is laughably quieter. I’ve read over and over that says 140db is hearing safe. As you have shown above it’s 126db at the ear. Does that mean it’s safe? It didn’t bother me that “one time” the other day. But what will that do long term is what I’m trying to use others experience to learn from.

I’ve read over and over that says 140db is hearing safe. As you have shown above it’s 126db at the ear. Does that mean it’s safe?

And if you keep reading and reading, you'll probably hear many different versions of what hearing safe is.

Every job I've been to, I keep hearing over and over that we must wear hearing protection at 80 DB or louder so...

If you're really trying to preserve your hearing, you need to wear ears even when shooting suppressed.

Reactions: Klay23 and Baron23
    I’ve read over and over that says 140db is hearing safe.
    I have zero idea where you’re reading that. That’s almost twice as loud as recommended sound levels to protect your hearing.

A reference/ link please.

The main thing I’ve noticed about running the U7 without ear pro (6.5 CM) is: I’m comfortable in open air, but if I’m under a covered firing line or even shooting down a firing lane with concrete blocks on either side, it’s too loud. Confirmed this again for myself last week when checking zero the night before a hunt; totally comfy outdoors with no ear pro. But I don’t shoot it at the gun range without earplugs, even if it’s just me there.

Reactions: kthomas and Klay23
    I have zero idea where you’re reading that. That’s almost twice as loud as recommended sound levels to protect your hearing.

A reference/ link please.
    The difference is impulse (or impact) versus sustained. 85 dB is the threshold for an 8-hr TWA (time-weighted average) per NIOSH/OSHA. Link:

But gunshots aren’t sustained, constant noise. They’re considered impact noise, and the OSHA limit for those is 140 dB. Link:

Btw, those may or may not be the most recent official sites/references, just the first relevant google results from .gov sites I found.

Btw, those may or may not be the most recent official sites/references, just the first relevant google results from .gov sites I found.

It's terribly outdated science. The AHAAH model is better in concept but imperfect in implementation. The basic concept is that a total daily dose is established based upon an acceptable temporary hearing threshold shift (25 dB, IIRC) and then the effect of each impulse event is determined based upon its energy. This is far more complicated that measuring peak dB.

What you'll find is that there is no such thing as a "safe" gunshot - given enough of them over an arbitrary period (usually 24 hrs), you'll exceed the dose limit and potentially cause longer-term damage. It might take a single blast of unsuppressed .30-’06 in a deer blind, or a few bricks of suppressed .22LR in an open field during a long afternoon, but it will happen. It's also possible (likely?) to have increased sensitivity due to past damage, and so there's some individual bias to this as well.

Personally, I'm willing to crack off a limited number of suppressed centerfire rounds without earpro. For my 26" .223 bolt gun with a 338 Ultra SR, a short target shooting session of 10-20 rounds isn't a problem. For my 18" .308 or 6.5CM through a Dominus-K, we're talking 1-2 shots and only in a hunting situation. Suppressed 300 BLK carbines and 9mm pistols are usually tolerable for a few magazines before I'm thinking that maybe some earplugs would be a good idea. Once again, this is the risk I'm comfortable taking, and others will have different limits, and that's OK since I'm not trying to be the suppressor dictator.

Reactions: kthomas and Klay23
    @Baron23 see osha post above. I certainly didn’t make up the 140db. And to me, that seems awfully loud. I’m not debating with you however. I agree that ear pro is the way to go. The gist of all of the reply’s is you may get away with it and be fine, but you may also do damage. This is exactly why I asked the question. I wanted to know real experience. I appreciate everyone’s input

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baron23
    @Baron23 see osha post above. I certainly didn’t make up the 140db. And to me, that seems awfully loud. I’m not debating with you however. I agree that eat pro is the way to go. The gist of all of the reply’s is you may get away with it and be fine, but you may also do damage. This is exactly why I asked the question. I wanted to know real experience. I appreciate everyone’s input
    Thank you all. I have moderate hearing loss (means I'm half fucking deaf! haha) and wish I listened to the advice about ear pro when I was young. At 70, I wear hearing aids and still can't understand English accents on TV (think Game of Thrones) with it turned all the way up (TV with Boze sound bar and hearing aids).

I recently bought some high end, in ear, amplified, protection for bird/deer hunting. I used to use Shot Hunts but now I have ESP Apex and I'm desperate to keep what hearing I still have.

Please believe me...while we all joke about saying "what" all the time....I do say "what" all the time and its really not funny. Wear the protection now and IMO you will be very glad you did down the road.

Best of luck to you Klay and I'm sorry if any of my posts were a bit aggressive. In addition to being half deaf, I'm also half asshole! haha

Thank you all. I have moderate hearing loss (means I'm half fucking deaf! haha) and wish I listened to the advice about ear pro when I was young. At 70, I wear hearing aids and still can't understand English accents on TV (think Game of Thrones) with it turned all the way up (TV with Boze sound bar and hearing aids).

I recently bought some high end, in ear, amplified, protection for bird/deer hunting. I used to use Shot Hunts but now I have ESP Apex and I'm desperate to keep what hearing I still have.

Please believe me...while we all joke about saying "what" all the time....I do say "what" all the time and its really not funny. Wear the protection now and IMO you will be very glad you did down the road.

Best of luck to you Klay and I'm sorry if any of my posts were a bit aggressive. In addition to being half deaf, I'm also half asshole! haha
    Ha. No worries. I appreciate your input and figured it came from a fatherly place. Kind of like “hey, dumbass, it’s loud, wear your ear pro before you can’t hear like me”. 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Baron23
    I/we are not going to tell you what's "safe." No way to know for sure, and it's a great way for us to get into trouble.

For me, personally, knowing my current hearing level, etc, etc, and potential for additional hearing loss, I have no problem hunting with an Ultra 7. I try to limit shooting AR's without any earpro because of port pop, but still do it from time to time (hunting or one off shots). This is not advice-- it's just what I do.

I/we are not going to tell you what's "safe." No way to know for sure, and it's a great way for us to get into trouble.

For me, personally, knowing my current hearing level, etc, etc, and potential for additional hearing loss, I have no problem hunting with an Ultra 7. I try to limit shooting AR's without any earpro because of port pop, but still do it from time to time (hunting or one off shots). This is not advice-- it's just what I do.
    I understand that for sure. I was simply looking for real world experience. Appreciate your input though. And I’m extremely impressed with this can. It was a great life choice😂

Reactions: 65x55guy