• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors ULTRA GEN2 ANNOUNCEMENT

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
ULTRA Gen2 Product Announcement

D465_5308_img.jpg

D465_5309_img.jpg

D465_5310_img.jpg

We are pleased to announce the next generation of the ULTRA suppressor line. This design change affects the ULTRA 5, ULTRA 7, and ULTRA 9 models only. Compared to the original ULTRA series (Gen1) introduced in 2015, these are on average 1.7 ounces lighter (about 20%) and about 2 dB quieter. This is a “Tubeless” design, a change debuted on our Dominus earlier this year. Gen2 Ultra 9’s, 7’s, and 5’s can be identified by serial numbers higher than C40000 or by the visual changes.

In short: Quieter and Lighter! Same size, same price.

ULTRA 9 GEN2: available in .30 and 6.5 mm calibers
The .30 cal ULTRA 9 Gen2 meters at 135 dB (milspec left/right) and 123 dB at shooter’s-ear, shooting full-power (hot) M118LR ammunition from a 20″ AI AX.

Compared to the original, the Gen2 is about 2 dB quieter at the muzzle and 5 dB quieter at the shooter’s ear.

The 6.5 mm cal ULTRA 9 Gen2 meters at 131 dB (milspec left/right) and 121 dB at shooter’s-ear, shooting Hornady 140gr ammunition from a 24″ AI AX.

Compared to the original 6.5 mm version, the Gen2 is about 2 dB quieter at the muzzle and 2 dB quieter at the shooter’s ear.

The ULTRA 9 Gen2 weighs 10.0 ounces (1.9 ounces lighter than the Gen1), in CB configuration.

Ultra 9 Gen2 Full Specs

ULTRA 7 GEN2: available in .30 and 6.5 mm calibers
The .30 cal ULTRA 7 Gen2 meters at 139 dB (milspec left/right) and 129 dB at shooter’s-ear, shooting full-power (hot) M118LR ammunition from a 20″ AI AX.

Compared to the original, the Gen2 is about 2 dB quieter at the muzzle and 2 dB quieter at the shooter’s ear.

The 6.5 mm cal ULTRA 7 Gen2 meters at 137 dB (milspec left/right) and 126 dB at shooter’s-ear, shooting Hornady 140 gr ammunition from a 24″ AI AX.

Compared to the original, the Gen2 is about 1 dB quieter at the muzzle and 1 dB quieter at the shooter’s ear.

The ULTRA 7 Gen2 weighs 8.0 ounces (1.7 ounces lighter than the Gen1), in CB configuration.

Ultra 7 Gen2 Full Specs

ULTRA 5 GEN2: available in .30 and 6.5 mm calibers
The .30 cal ULTRA 5 Gen2 meters at 145 dB (milspec left/right) and 133 dB at shooter’s-ear, shooting full-power (hot) M118LR ammunition from a 20″ AI AX.

Compared to the original, the Gen2 is about 4 dB quieter at the muzzle and 3 dB quieter at the shooter’s ear.

The 6.5 mm cal ULTRA 5 Gen2 meters at 142 dB (milspec left/right) and 130 dB at shooter’s-ear, shooting Hornady 140 gr ammunition from a 24″ AI AX.

Compared to the original, the Gen2 is about 1 dB quieter at the muzzle and 1 dB quieter at the shooter’s ear.

The ULTRA 5 Gen2 weighs 6.0 ounces (1.6 ounces lighter than the Gen1), in CB configuration.

Ultra 5 Gen2 Full Specs

AVAILABILITY
GEN2 models are shipping immediately to fulfill existing ULTRA orders on the build sheet starting November 9, 2020.

What happened to the 223 ULTRA 7?
With the ULTRA Gen2 updates, a prototype “223 ULTRA 7 Gen2” meters the exact same on 223/556 as the 6.5 ULTRA 7 Gen2, which is still quieter than an original 223 ULTRA 7, so the original 223 ULTRA 7 is replaced with the 6.5 ULTRA 7 Gen2.

The dB numbers posted here are all from the PULSE. Historic data on the original Ultras was all 2209 data. This data is more accurate.

I'm new to all of this, but I swear I did not see any references to the Gen 2 while researching this site and many others before I purchased the Ultra 7 .308 three days ago. I'm sure I won't regret having the Gen 1 though.

I'm new to all of this, but I swear I did not see any references to the Gen 2 while researching this site and many others before I purchased the Ultra 7 .308 three days ago. I'm sure I won't regret having the Gen 1 though.
I think they were announced like 5 hours ago, there was no news or leaks that this revision was coming. I’ve been shooting a Gen1 6.5 Ultra 7 for years; trust me you’re going to love it!

If a person had a gen 1 and a gen 2 would there be a POI shift going back and forth? Some people probably have multiples of the same model Gen 1 cans and interchange them and will likely get some of the Gen 2s. May be too early or this wasn’t tested. Asking for a friend.

Are the older cans like the 30p-1 going to get the gen 2 re-cores if sent in?

Last edited:
Reactions: STLSteve86
Can a Gen 1 be recored, to a gen 2?
Not to speak out of line, but personally I can't see the recore cost as being worth a 1-2 dB improvement over the already awesome Gen 1 Ultra. Plus, the Gen2 is a "tubeless" design so I can't imagine a recore would net the entire 1.7 oz weight savings. The recore cost for a 30P-1 is $785, would you be willing to pay that for 1dB?

Not to speak out of line, but personally I can't see the recore cost as being worth a 1-2 dB improvement over the already awesome Gen 1 Ultra. Plus, the Gen2 is a "tubeless" design so I can't imagine a recore would net the entire 1.7 oz weight savings. The recore cost for a 30P-1 is $785, would you be willing to pay that for 1dB?
I think the one that tempts me would be a recore of my Ultra-9 in 30 cal. That one saves 5db at shooter's ear which is enough to seriously tempt me.

I think the one that tempts me would be a recore of my Ultra-9 in 30 cal. That one saves 5db at shooter's ear which is enough to seriously tempt me.
Nice. I didn't catch that, I was more focused on the Ultra 7. 123dB at the shooters ear with M118LR is pretty freakin' awesome!

Are the older cans like the 30p-1 going to get the gen 2 re-cores if sent in?
Recores from here on out will be baffles based on Gen2. I don't have data yet on if it will be quieter than the Ultra in original configuration (ie track Gen2 suppression improvement) because when we fit the Gen2 stlye baffles into a Gen1 or 30P-1 tube, they will have a little less volume than when natively in a Gen2 tubeless can. And yeah, the weight won't track the improvement. When we have one of these done I can post info. Hope this makes sense.

Just to double check, gen2's are filling orders placed after November 9th or orders shipped after November 9th that were placed before the 9th?

Recores from here on out will be baffles based on Gen2. I don't have data yet on if it will be quieter than the Ultra in original configuration (ie track Gen2 suppression improvement) because when we fit the Gen2 stlye baffles into a Gen1 or 30P-1 tube, they will have a little less volume than when natively in a Gen2 tubeless can. And yeah, the weight won't track the improvement. When we have one of these done I can post info. Hope this makes sense.

Great, should answer a lot of questions coming up, thanks.

Is the technology going into a new Gen 2 ultra 338?
The Gen2 changes in the small-frame Ultras do not drop into the large-frame 338 Ultra and "just work". We are doing some R&D on a 338 revision but I have no idea what the ETA will be to get gains we consider worthwhile.

Any chance these are more efficient/faster to build? That would be awesome if so, lighter, quieter, and faster production times. Best of all worlds!

So I have used a certificate for a new suppressor like maybe three weeks ago and I don’t have my serial number yet or anything. Does that mean if my suppressor is in the process of being built I’ll get the Gen 2?

Man, missed it by that much... haha guess I’m glad I’m 3 weeks into my stamp check being cashed for a Gen1 Ultra 7.

Will see how I like my first can, may need a second since if I have a can I may as well have a 20” .308 happened, maybe a 2nd can needs to happen too.

Hello my name is..........and I am a gunaholic.

Keep up the good work TBAC. 👍

Reactions: erslll
Was thinking of sending my 223CB in to recore to a 223 Ultra. Would that still be the proper recore?

Shooting 6.5CM is typically 1-2 dB quieter than shooting .308 through a .30 cal Gen2. Shooting 6.5CM through a 6.5 Gen2 is typically another couple dB quieter than that. The chart is the best reference for all those combinations though.

Reactions: gnochi
While this sounds exciting, I’m still waiting for a serial number for the .22 takedown I paid my dealer for back in February. I really like TBAC cans, but the delay in production is a real buzz kill.

Man, missed it by that much... haha guess I’m glad I’m 3 weeks into my stamp check being cashed for a Gen1 Ultra 7.

Will see how I like my first can, may need a second since if I have a can I may as well have a 20” .308 happened, maybe a 2nd can needs to happen too.

Hello my name is..........and I am a gunaholic.

Keep up the good work TBAC. 👍

What he said. Well, except that I'm about 2 weeks past my stamp check being cashed on a Gen 1 Ultra 7. Luckily I do already have an Ultra 9 to play with while I'm waiting for my now outdated 7. 😀