• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Ultra High Power Scopes

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
i Know this topic has been talked about before on here and read a few things here and there and i know mirage kills at much more than 25x but i still like the ability to crank it up when the conditions are right and back it off when they're not. I'm planning on buying a .338 Lapua once i sell my left kidney and then sell my right lung to buy the scope ;) i figure 90% of the time the scope is going to be above 20x, i don't plan on lobbing $5 at target 5-800 yards away once i get it sighted in, a load worked up and get comfortable with the thing, hoping at minimum 1000 and much more once i find a fitting place. my main concern is the limited adjustments. . right now I'm looking into the Schmidt and Bender 12-50x56 PM II, NightForce NXS 8-32x56, and I've just started looking at March Scopes. they cal aim to have 75 moa, 65 moa and around 60 moa max elevation adjustment respectively. I've also read that a S&B 5-25 has 60 moa max value, which i don't buy, so my first question is are those values true? is 75 moa enough to get me out to 1500+ yards if i have a 20,30 maybe even 40moa rail? hopefully all that made some sense, its getting late here! thanks y'all

So many people make the mistake of assuming you want higher magnification for ELR shooting, so they go out and buy a high magnification optic not realizing that it's better suited to benchrest shooting (high magnification, fine turret adjustment, limited elevation). I've been shooting a 5-25x in a 40MOA mount for years and even with an elevation limit of 26 mils, it's more than adequate out to a mile. The only reason I would change this is to opt for one of the newer scopes with more than 30mils of elevation to make getting to 2000 yards easier.

Last edited:
What Dogtown said. I shot out at 2500 yards with a 408 and was only at 17x and had no problems hitting. That wasn't just one lucky hit. It was many over a few days.

You don't need and most of the times don't want super high power. What you want is elevation. Those super high mag scopes give up alot of elevation travel. Look at the new Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56. Has 33 mils of total elevation. That's about 113 MOA. Lots of elevation and good power range. Should be out in the next few months but if you needed something now then the original Razor 5-20x50 will work and it has 125 MOA of elevation.

You want Ultra High Power Scopes, check out MARCH Scopes it doesn't get much more powereful than this.

thanks y'all! limited adjustments has me most concerned and seems like thats the wall I'm running into here with the real high power scopes so thinking ill take your advice! thanks again guys.

The SB 5-25's 26 mils should be enough to get you to a mile. You'll be using a bit of this mrads if you zero it at 100 yds/meters. Theres a lot of guys who zero there larger calibers at around 300+ plus to save more internal elevation. I prefer to zero mines at 100 because you don't get a shift if you zero it at sea level (like here in SD) then head out to 10,000+ feet of elevation in CO or some places like that. Thats why I went with the SB 3-27 for my .338LM. Yes its expensive but you also get 38-40 mils of internal elevation, and your also getting the great SB qualities. Theres many companies that are have a lot more elevation adjustments, I know Nightforce Scopes carry a heavy amount of internal adjustment. It seems you lose a lot of elevation adjustment with Higher magnification scopes like Dogtown Stated.