• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ultra rugged compact scope for light weight 308 bolt action.

g3ninfinite

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Los Angeles County
Is there currently anything new that can beat out the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm Mil-R Riflescope C461 in terms of features and ruggedness while maintaining similar size and weight? Really tempted to pull the trigger but I hate that Mil-R reticle. Almost tempted to go with their “see through” mildot. Thought about the 1-8 atacr but parralax adjustment is important to me.

Leupold MK5 3.6-18 is the only thing that comes to mind. I loved my 5-25 MK5 FWIW and still want a 3.6-18. Still a bit heavier.

Reactions: Bender
Leupy Mk V. 3-18. It’s smol. It’s light. It’s got amazing glass for the price.

If I was keeping it light on a 308 I'd take the ATACR 1-8. I like the FC-mil reticle and true 1X can be very useful.

Yes I played with one and I could probably live without a parallax knob on this scope reticle was awesome except the center for felt a little large as compared to a traditional precision reticle.

One scope that also has my interest is the Minox ZP8 with MR10+ reticle.

Reactions: CSTactical
I have a very similar rifle in the works (18 inch 308, Proof Carbon barrel and Manners EH1) and it will wear the NF 2.5-10x42. I really don't understand the hatred for the MIL-R, it has a very useful design with out being overly complicated.

I have a 3-18 gen2 sig tango6 on my 16” ar10 and a 3.6-18 on my sprish AR15 (waiting on my barrel from compass lake). I like the reticle on the sig, but I prefer the eyebox and glass clarity on the Leupold as well as the lighter weight. Time will tell how they hold up

Last edited:
g3ninfinite,

The short answer is "no", there isn't really anything directly comparable to that NF in my opinion (all things considered). It is such a nice little niche that I would love to see that configuration get the full "ATACR" treatment aka best possible glass and at least capped windage (plus maybe a 10 mil elevation turret). It is in a bit of an awkward spot though in the line up as it is close enough in price to the 4-16 that if the price went up then its only real advantage would be that it weighs 10 oz less and goes to 2.5x (plus is SFP of course...which is a "difference" more than an "advantage").

That said, I use a S&B PM2 1.5-8x26 P3 mildot on my "short and light" gun and it is awesome, but I chose it for a reason. Has a 13 mil single turn turret and a nice thin and simple but useful and visible FFP mil reticle so I can dial and shoot out to as far as I can. It is very fast on 1.5x (which I actually like here versus a true 1x), and has a flash-dot that is daytime bright. No parallax adjustment but has never been an issue. The dot and reticle are both ffp, so at 8x the illuminated dot if you wanted to use it is large (no problem really though if you think about realistic application). I valued the low end and daytime bright dot so preferred that optic for me. It is optically the nicest 1-8-ish scope I have seen (compared to my Mk8 and ATACR 1-8, both of which are excellent). Excellent image and manageable eyebox through the whole power range Also note: having tried the P3 version and the CQB reticle version of the S&B, I much preferred the P3 (heavy outer bars and better inner line weight) for all shooting.

The Minox you mention would seemingly be a good choice too that is comparable to the S&B on paper (with some minor differences you would have to evaluate for yourself like the reticle etc.), and it seems like people enjoy the Minox ZP scopes, but I have no experience with them so can't comment further. It also looks to be a little bit more expensive.

I also have a 2.5-10x42 NF (Mil-R) and love it, but use it slightly differently (more as a "lightweight" version of the 4-16...where I don't mind it being SFP either). The NF is better in very low light for sure based on objective size, but we are talking about "past legal light" when I say that, so good but not really a big deal. Also the max magnification eyebox is a bit better on the NF which of course makes sense.

The main point is: What are your requirements exactly/what do you value most? Power range/variable or fixed? Rapid at close range with a "red-dot" type capability? Turret situation? Reticle (more or less detailed), FFP vs. SFP? Max length/weight? Parallax adjustment? You seem to have started with "100% necessary" and now are on the fence?

That S&B is a few ounces heavier than the 2.5-10 NF and the same price as the 4-16 ATACR, so again it boils down to picking the right balance of features that make you happy/fit your requirements. If we lump in the 4-16 ATACR as a choice in the higher mag range (but also heavier) then I think you have three very good (and representative) but different choices without pushing too high in price. All can accomplish the same jobs, but each has strengths/weaknesses vs. the others.

If fixed mag is your game, I think it would be easy to find some glowing endorsements for the S&B PM2 10x42 P3 (although that seems to be a special order scope these days). Same weight as the NF but a simpler reticle, no illumination, and no parallax. Doesn't seem to have been any problem for the people using it though.

Ok well I hope that helps you kind of hash out your decision. Have a good one!

-TSean

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
Yes I played with one and I could probably live without a parallax knob on this scope reticle was awesome except the center for felt a little large as compared to a traditional precision reticle.

One scope that also has my interest is the Minox ZP8 with MR10+ reticle.

The ATACR and Minox ZP8 are two at the top of their class IMO with the ATACR having brighter illumination and the ZP8 having a finer center dot that may help with more precise shots. YMMV

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Very nice scope but 3x the price and for that reason I’m out.
That Ultra Short is my only S&B and she is bad ass in every aspect. Some folks feel they are a good option for an AR. That may be true but she is no slouch on a Stiller tac 30. Straight up precision and yeah it's got some weight to it. Guess it depends on your application.

OP,

I used to use the same scope you do (I'm actually somewhat responsible for NF adding a parallax knob to the 2.5-10), but I no longer do, preferring the 2.5-10 X24 with the mil-dot reticle. Lighter, shorter, still amazing performance, and I find the mil dot reticle much better for faster shooting. I like and use the Mil-R a lot, but in the compact NXS, it is too fine for my preferences.

The 2.5-10X24 is not currently made by NF, but there is plenty of stock out there on dealers shelves. Now that I write that, I'm not sure you can get it with the Mil Dot, as mine was a special order. Might be worth looking into though.

That zoom range seems to be lacking many options in terms of rugged "tactical" scopes.
There is the USO B10 1.8-10x42 and Vortex PST Gen 2 2-10x32 which may be worth a look.

NF 2.5-10x42, TT 315M, or the S&B 3-20 Ultra Short. All are great choices. The Kahles 3-18 and the ZComp 4-20 look great but I don’t have any experience with the last two.

The MILR really isn’t a bad reticle. I don’t get caught up in the finite subtensions. I just treat them like 0.25 mils, and I kinda like the open blanks within the reticle. I do agree that the MILR in the 2.5-10x is a bit fine at times, but you can simply hit the illumination if needed. I really like the MILR in my 4-16 F1 which is an awesome scope to consider, but jumps into the next weight category in my opinion.

Doug at Cameraland has a special run going of S&B PMII 6x42 with P3 reticle - might be an option. Supposed to be 17 ounces.

how about the NF 4-16 ATACR with Mil-C reticle. awesome glass. not to heavy. great mag range for a compact 308 bolt gun. I ran one on my 223 PRS gas gun and loved it.

Reactions: jordan0317