• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ultradot Matchdot problem

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have a couple of UltraDot Matchdots on my Ruger MkII and a Springfield .45 that I use for Bullseye matches.
I have an annoying problem. The polarizing filter will move during the rapid fire and timed fire stages.
Is there a cure other than tape or a rubber band?
Is there a step I missed on installing the filter?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Ultradot Matchdot problem

Don't use the Polarizing filter! I have used Ultrdots in Bullseye for years without and shoot in the mid-nineties...

I tried it Monday without the filter. I had to turn the dot intensity up to 9 in order to see the 2moa dot on the 50 yard target. With the filter I usually use it on 7 and the dot seems brighter.
I also tried a little painter's masking tape- no good. I will try a big rubber band on it next.
I can't figure out why it does that though. It doesn't feel loose. Monday, during rapid fire it went black after the third round. I had a nice 2 shot group at 1 0'clock in the 8-ring, about 1/2" apart. It's useful to know I will shoot high if I go blind.

Jim

I talked to Mike Mendoza at UltraDot West. He also mentioned using a rubber band.
This usually happens in rapid fire, but since in Bullseye I can't touch the weapon with my off hand it can become a real problem.
If the rubber band doesn't cure it I will just take it off. I hate to do that though. when the target is in sunlight the filter, even turned up to it's not filtering much. It's hard to see the dot when I have it at 2moa even on it's brightest setting with it off.
This is no big deal. I just hoped someone else had been through this so I could shortcut a solution. I'll get it figured out.

Jim