• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UltraLite AR10 Hunter

Quiet6.8

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2017
UT
Just finished building my UL AR10 308 hunting rifle, weighs ~9lbs with scope and silencer.

2aArmament Xanthos Receiver Set
2aArmament Ti GB
2aArmament Ti RBCG
2aArmament Ti TD Pins
20" ProofResearch 308 Barrel
V7 LPK
SmokeComposites 13.5" HG
SmokeComposites Pistol Grip
SmokeComposites RL Stock with Cheek Riser
JP SCPS
CMC Flat Face Trigger
NightForce 2.5-10x32 NXS in a NF Mount
SiCo Harvester30

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
Nice build! Looks effective to say the least. The Smoke Composites stuff is great. I had my doubts about the grip but it's spot-on. Very ergonomic and the perfect amount of friction IMO, albeit overpriced. Use their buffer tube as well. Any issues dialing in the lightweight BCG?

What do you plan to use this for? Specifically, what kind of hunting?

Just curious.
Always wonder if there is a focused reason, or if like me, people get stuck on something as an idea and just have to see it.

Cool looking rifle and dang that is light. I think the lightest large frame build fully kitted I have ever seen.

What do you plan to use this for? Specifically, what kind of hunting?

Just curious.
Always wonder if there is a focused reason, or if like me, people get stuck on something as an idea and just have to see it.

Cool looking rifle and dang that is light. I think the lightest large frame build fully kitted I have ever seen.

The purpose of this rifle was an intermediate elk cartridge here for Northern Utah, wanted a rifle capable of 400-500 yards with proper shot placement, and still light enough to carry around all day. Still getting the barrel broken in, shoots factory 178 Hornady Precision Hunters under MOA at 100yrds.

Nice build! Looks effective to say the least. The Smoke Composites stuff is great. I had my doubts about the grip but it's spot-on. Very ergonomic and the perfect amount of friction IMO, albeit overpriced. Use their buffer tube as well. Any issues dialing in the lightweight BCG?

Tuning is actually quite nice/easy with the adjustments happening right at the ejection port, 2aArmament uses a ball valve right under the gas key that uses a 6torx. I adjust the rifle when I am verifying zero for the specific hunting ammo I will be using.

Is this even lighter than the small frame POFs? Either way, your build looks way cooler lol.
How is the recoil on it?
The recoil impulse isn’t bad with the adjustable Ti BCG and JPSCS. Easy to tune and cut the gas way off, you can definitely tell the hard carbon stock is there tho

Is this even lighter than the small frame POFs? Either way, your build looks way cooler lol.
How is the recoil on it?

I'm guessing it's slightly less than the Revolution DI which is 6.8 pounds sans scope/silencer. Silencer gets you to 7.5 pounds approximately which leaves you 1.5 pounds for scope and mount. Kinda makes the Revolution remarkable as they don't use unobtanium. No Ti, no magnesium, just steel and aluminum. The POF's barrel is 4" shorter however so there's that and I'll concur on the coolness factor.

Nice build. I built something similar last year. I used a 16" proof barrel. For some reason it took me quite a few rounds to dial in the gas port.

If I remember right, the 16” Proof has an intermediate gas length, the 20” has a rifle length gas system.
Nice build. I built something similar last year. I used a 16" proof barrel. For some reason it took me quite a few rounds to dial in the gas port.

If I remember right, the 16” Proof has an intermediate gas length, the 20” has a rifle length gas system.
That's probably correct. It may be the only build I have done with an intermediate length so far. Plus I run a suppressor on it. It's the only rifle that i have to adjust the gas block when going suppressed/unsuppressed.

The purpose of this rifle was an intermediate elk cartridge here for Northern Utah, wanted a rifle capable of 400-500 yards with proper shot placement, and still light enough to carry around all day. Still getting the barrel broken in, shoots factory 178 Hornady Precision Hunters under MOA at 100yrds.
Asking because I’ve never done it, but in let’s say, less than perfect weather conditions, is a 10x optic enough for a well placed shot on an elk at 400-500?

Asking because I’ve never done it, but in let’s say, less than perfect weather conditions, is a 10x optic enough for a well placed shot on an elk at 400-500?

I like the x-10 power scopes, because it sets up limitations on myself. If I feel like I do not have a proper shot on an animal due to my magnification power, I will let it walk. I'd rather see an animal walk away, than shoot and injure the animal due to a false sense of confidence given by more magnification.

10x is more than enough for a well placed shot at that range. You'd be suprised how far out people can shoot incredibly well at with a 10x scope.

All of my hunting rifles have a 2.5-10 scope, except for my 7mmMag it has a 4-16 and I rarely go past 14x magnification

Really nice build! I'm working on a .308 build that I wanted for longer range shooting (out to maybe 900/1000yds) but able to be carried. Don't think I'll be able to make it as light a build as you though. Heck, my scope is 2 pounds. 😏

I usually hunt with a sub 6-pound AR in .223 Wylde I put together.

Light weight AR’s are excellent woods guns.