• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultramatch quality?

Mag44579

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2017
Macomb, MI
So, was going back and forth on barrel selection for a 6mm ARC build, finally pulled the trigger and went with a 22" rainier ultramatch. Got the upper assembled the move on to the muzzle brake, manager to get maybe a thread and a half of my Sig brake on and starts binding hard, 5/8-24 btw. Grabbed a brake I have on another rifle to verify if it's a thread issue on barrel or muzzle device, and same issue starts binding about a thread and a half in. I'd think QA/QC would catch that before it goes on the shelf. Anyone else out there have a similar experience??

• Wow
Reactions: rpoL98
That sucks. can you see a bur or any irregularity with the threads? It probably got dropped or banged up somewhere along the line.

Reactions: Mag44579
I had a 26" 6.5CM UM barrel, the barrel extension was out of spec. I ordered a replacement, the 2nd one is good-to-go. I also have a 22" 6ARC UM barrel, it's GTG, muzzle threads are good, BE is good. I stopped shooting 6ARC for now because it's cheaper (for me) to shoot 6.5CM.

I would say that Rainier's UM QA/QC is spotty. I wonder if it has something to do with them moving out of WA state, or splitting their business with Wichita, KS? I think the barrel tube itself is pretty darn good. I haven't had any problems though with the Rainier muzzle threading.

Last edited:
The Ultramatch I had several years ago was a fantastic barrel. No idea if they are still shilen though. Send it back and they'll exchange it for another.

Heard they are now criterion and cut by craddock. Which would lead one to think they’d still be top notch.

No, threads were clean and free of burrs and there was no damage to them whatsoever.
send it back for warranty replacement (or refund), or buy a 5/8-24 die (unfortunately out-of-stock at this time at Brownells, perhaps other sources). I think those are your choices. Hopefully you haven't sent it out for cerakoting, or polish the feed ramps (voids the warranty).

The Ultramatch I had several years ago was a fantastic barrel. No idea if they are still shilen though. Send it back and they'll exchange it for another.
Yup, it's already been sent back. Just waiting for a replacement to show up. Hopefully I'll have a little more luck with #2.

send it back for warranty replacement (or refund), or buy a 5/8-24 die (unfortunately out-of-stock at this time at Brownells, perhaps other sources). I think those are your choices. Hopefully you haven't sent it out for cerakoting, or polish the feed ramps (voids the warranty).
I was debating on just getting a die to possibly clean up the threads but n considering it just came out of the box, figured I'd let rainier handle it.

sample size of one, but excellent experience with their ultramatch barrel (224 valk). and excellent service also. i was asking about gas block clearance with that barrel and the mega handguard. other places said maybe, but the rainier guy said give me a few minutes and i'll mock it up in the back.

Reactions: Mag44579 and mtrmn
So, was going back and forth on barrel selection for a 6mm ARC build, finally pulled the trigger and went with a 22" rainier ultramatch. Got the upper assembled the move on to the muzzle brake, manager to get maybe a thread and a half of my Sig brake on and starts binding hard, 5/8-24 btw. Grabbed a brake I have on another rifle to verify if it's a thread issue on barrel or muzzle device, and same issue starts binding about a thread and a half in. I'd think QA/QC would catch that before it goes on the shelf. Anyone else out there have a similar experience??
Send it back. more Then likely the threads are not concentric to the bore and you won’t be able to use a suppressor.