• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultramax ammo anyone?

Boydo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Washington, IL
I recently bought a box of Ultramax 168 HPBT in 308 and have to say this stuff really impressed me. My rifle shot sub 1/2 MOA all day. I payed $15 a box. Anyone else had good luck with this ammo? Im curious does anyone know what type of powder ultramax uses? Im going to handload some with the same overall length and bullet. Just gotta figure out the powder. thanks, boydo

Re: Ultramax ammo anyone?

I've personally witnessed a Glock 23 "kaboom" on ultramax .40 ammo, and heard of at least a dozen others secondhand.

A fellow arrived at the gunclub with some ultramax 168gr 308 ammo to shoot at 600 yards. Within 10 rounds, one kinda "burped" out of his rifle, and hit the dirt about 200 yards shy of the target.

His had mixed headstamps. And I mean MIXED. Not only were there various years of Lake City (LC) brass in there, but also Federal (FC) and maybe even another.

I didn't find that to be terribly impressive. The fact it shot 1/2moa from your rifle is probably more a testament to your <span style="font-style: italic">rifle</span> being good, not the ammo.

Re: Ultramax ammo anyone?

I've had good luck with Ultramax 68gr .223 Rem. Shot about 1.5MOA 5 shot groups with a stock S&W M&P15 Sport and 1MOA 5 shot groups with the Rainier UM barrel. I've also emailed their CS twice, and both times I got good, helpful responses back the same day.

As for brass, I had a mix of LC and WCC. It's not often that you get non-military brass mixed in with remanufactured ammo because most of the brass comes from military and/or police ranges.