• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ultrasonic cleaner v scope

davsco

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
so if i put my rifle, comp down, in an ultrasonic cleaner to clean out the comp, will there be any effect on the scope? obviously it handles recoil.

You are asking if the scope will be effected by just placing the rifle muzzle down? Is that what you are asking? If so, no.

You are asking if the scope will be effected by just placing the rifle muzzle down? Is that what you are asking? If so, no.

yeah, will the ultrasonic vibrations at the muzzle end of the barrel somehow jar something loose way back in the scope. this is the dumb question thread and this is or is prob a dumb question.

Is there a reason you cannot take the comp off? Or is it stuck and has lead to this question? I have had to stick a muzzle device into a small cup of solvent before overnight to break them free, but they have always come off after that. I just lean the rifle up in a corner somewhere. Then I can do a more thorough cleaning with it removed.

No. Cleaning your muzzle in an ultrasonic bath is not going to damage any scope. I've personally done it. The energy from the US bath is only effective under the liquid.

What tiny amount of vibration will escape the tank and work it’s way up your barrel will be it zero consequence compared to recoil. I’ve been a jeweler/gun engraver for 30 years and I’ve cleaned everything imaginable in the sonic with no ill effects.