• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultrasonic Cleaners

AbbyKatt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2017
Saint George, Utah
I'd like to know how you are using Ultrasonic Cleaners. What should not be cleaned in one? What solution are you using? I'm worried about damaging the coatings on different pieces and parts.

i use one to clean my brass using citric acid and concentrated dish washing liquid. id use lemishine but whoever sells it here rapes us on its pricing too. we get raped on everything to do with firearms. for instance, lyman ultrasonic cleaner here is like $300 odd, i got one from our local auto spares store, exact same item but priced at $110. ive also cleaned surface rust of some parts not firearms related. works well. once cleaned i run everything in baking soda to neutralise the citric acid.

they Are good for so much more. I’ve thrown lowers, uppers, handguns all types of parts and things in em.

Reactions: 1moaoff
They are really nice for coaxing shit our of AR nooks and crannies. I don't throw optics or anything plastic in them

Depends. I use the Hornady one shot mostly I use a diluted mixture depending on what’s going in there. Bcg’s he’ll yeah.

if it dulls, as it might because you could clean all the lubricating oils right out, just wipe down after dry with some oil and wipe off the excess. thats basically what I do. I’ve never had any issues, well major ones anyway. Shit happens sometimes.

Reactions: BCX
I have one that I use for cleaning all sorts of things, both firearm related and not.

One thing to watch: If you are putting coated pieces in it, make sure they don't touch any metal inside the cleaner as it will remove the coatings. My suppressor has a few zebra stripes after the cleaner took them off.

If you leave parkerized parts in long enough, it will remove the phosphate..

I have a Hornday Magnum Ultrasonic Cleaner. When I used the Hornady solution for cleaning brass, It took 1-1/2 to 2 hours for clean case necks. I switched to the Bore Tech brass cleaner concentrate and the same amount of brass is clean in 20 minutes. Being that it is a stronger solution, your brass will turn a darker color within a week if you only hand rinse the solution off. I solved the problem by ultrasonically rinsing for 15 minutes after hand rinsing. I am very well pleased with the Bore Tech brass cleaning concentrate.

I use a Crest P1100:

Using a solution of:

diluted with water.

Parts are cleaned with heat on. Removed from the solution, blow dry with air and then submersed in weapons lube.

BCG's, Slides, magazines etc. it flat out works.

I've been using an RCBS sonic cleaner for a while. I don't like it for brass, I prefer to wet tumble those. I use the hell out of it for gun parts though. I run it as hot as it'll go, 140ish I think, with the hornady one shot cleaner for a half hour or so and everything comes out pretty clean. A little tooth brush hit and they're good to go.

The rcbs basket is plastic, fwiw.

Reactions: Badfinger
Simple green and distilled water or clr and distilled water are the two I run in my cleaner if your cleaner doesn’t have a tank heater make sure to use hot water it will help a shit ton

I don't clean my brass in my Hornady ultrasonic machine anymore. I do use it for removable brakes, handgun slides and AR bolts. The Hornady One Shot solution works for me.

Also my suppressor, I run it on hot with simple green about four cycles and it gets a bunch of crap out!

I have had great results with the Bore Tech ultrasonic cleaning solutions, brass and parts varieties. Hot water, rinse throughly, dry in food dehydrator and lube parts not brass.

Anyone drop their action in before spinning a new barrel on to get all the grim and debris out from use over time?

I have a cheap Harbor freight one. I use it for all kinds of things. Jewelry, glasses, watches,

I usually have mineral spirits in mine for gun parts.

With more sensitive parts you can fill the tank with water and put the part with a solution in a plastic bag.

I bought a cheap one from Harbour freight for $79 about two years ago and it's works well......so far. I use simple green watered down a little. really does well on BCGs and slides etc.

Central Machinery Sonic Cleaner

i got the same one a few years back. Works fine. No complaints yet.

As far as cleaning solution, been using the Hornady stuff.

i got the same one a few years back. Works fine. No complaints yet.

As far as cleaning solution, been using the Hornady stuff.

I recently picked up the same one from HF. Its identical to the Lyman Turbo Sonic for about half the price (about $60 after 20% off coupon). The Lyman is truly identical...I'm pretty sure its just an re-label from the same Chinese factory. The only difference is the Lyman comes with an interior basket and the HF has a "tray".

I've run a few BCG through it and so far so good. Its impressive to see the amount of crap that things gets out.

Reactions: HogsLife
I'd like to know how you are using Ultrasonic Cleaners. What should not be cleaned in one? What solution are you using? I'm worried about damaging the coatings on different pieces and parts.

I use water and vinegar. I put my cleaning solution in a glass bowl with a lid to keep it separate from the tank of water. The water in the tank allows the frequency to go through the bowl and that way I don’t have to dump or use a tank of cleaning solution. Plus my cheap harbor freight unit doesn’t do very well on the very edges because the transducer is in the middle.

For the parkerizing question, i had a leaded pistol brake and went for a couple hours and it was a lab grade cleaner. I have a hornady, used the one shot but it took too many cycles. Use a rotary with dawn, lemi shine and steel pins or Dillon w/ blue spooge and corn cob.

There was a time when "a guy I know" was able to get PERC by the gallon jug from a dry-cleaning shop. It worked very well when cleaning parts/trigger groups, and the like.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

We use Simple Green Crystal at my work to clean all sorts of aluminum, brass and stainless parts. There are anodized aluminum parts and it works well. It can dull the appearance slightly if you use to strong of a mixture, but oil brings the finish right back. It does well removing salt and corrosion on those parts. I tried some brass in it once and it turned dark purple rainbow colors, but the tumbler brought it right back. I have done bolt carriers too.

It doesn't seem to work too well on heavy carbon fouling. Grease and oils come off quickly. 15 minutes is usually long enough to remove most grease and oils. You might need to do a little light brushing with an old toothbrush. We have a Branson cleaner that holds about 5 gallons. Heat helps speed up the cleaning process.