• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultrasonic Cleaning Discolouration

AussieShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2005
Australia
Hey Guys,

I have just tried some ultrasonic cleaning and think I might have assed things up.

I had four different batches of the same (308 Lapua) brass that I have just tried to clean using a ultrasonic cleaner.

The first batch was 200 rounds of once fired (large glass jar)
The second was 50 rounds of twice fired (large glass jar)
The third was 100 rounds of third times fired brass (large glass jar)
And the fourth batch, you guessed it was 100 rounds of four times fired brass (large glass jar)

The solutions as stated on the 6mmbr website (http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html)
was used.

However as I was doing four different batches I would put a batch in the vinegar solution for 28 min(jar), then put them in a plastic bucket using a strainer to remove the solution without any rinsing, then do the next batch (same method) using the previous batches solution and so on until all four batches were washed in vinegar and set aside.

Once all four were washed in the vinegar I would get the first batch, wash (ultrasonic cleaner in jar) in the B&C solution, then rinse in hot water (no ultrasonic cleaner) then ultrasonic clean with the distilled water (jar again).

Before I rinsed the batches some cases were greenish like engine coolant. After rinsing the green colour was gone.

Have I left the cases to long without rinsing them to remove the vinegar solution?
Some are looking discoloured and rusty.

Should I have not used a glass container and put them directly into the tub giving a better clean and that is why they are this colour?

This is my first attempt and think I went in gun ho and am conserned I have f*#ked my brass irreversibly.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b503/AussieShooter/photo_zps7c718a34.jpg
Any knowledgable advice would be appreciated.

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaning Discolouration

I use ultrasonic also...the discoloration is caused by a solution that is to acidic I believe..does not harm brass...I got it if I put to much lemishine in the solution..just b sure to rinse with baking soda to neutralize acid...hope this helps

Hi Benchmade,

Doesn't the B&C solution neutralise the vinegar and therefore make the bicarbonate soda?

You could have 2 things going on. One could be the vinegar is to strong, the other could be the hot water rinse. I use Lemi-Shine (about like I'm puting salt on a plate) and Dawn (a few drops)in my ultrasonic (1-1.5 liters of water), run for three cycles (15-18 minutes) stiring the brass between cycles, then rinse in the sink. I've had a color change if I rinse with hot water on some brands of brass.

I've checked the vinegar for acid concentrate levels but there not on the bottle. Might have to flick them an email.

Next time I'll also make sure the tap water rinse is cold.

It's probably in the 5% neighborhood. I've never figured out the percentage of acid using Lemishine in water they don't say what kind of acid it is.

Vinegar has a concentration of acetic acid at around 4.5%.

Try Borax. I think twenty mule team is the brand I use. Add some laundry or dish soap and forget about using the vinegar.