• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UltraSonic Woops

texdoug1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
I was cleaning a small batch of rifle brass a couple nights ago, and forgot about it. I did remember about a day and a half later, but it sat in my 50/50 vinegar/water solution the whole time. Does anyone have an opinion as to weather that will jack them up? They look fine after a little polishing, but they did have a slight patina at first.

Re: UltraSonic Woops

Tumble them (or vibrate them) for a hour in plain corncob and they'll look fine again. They probably got a little etched from the acidic pH of the solution, but that's just a very small surface layer. I once left some for a week in a beaker of dilute hydrochloric acid just to see what would happen. They really didn't etch anymore in a week than they did in a day.

Re: UltraSonic Woops

Thanks. I tumbled them and they look good, but I didn't know if I needed to worry. Since I'm having to deal with drying then tumbling, I'm thinking about buying the SS pin tumbler. Can't be any more of a hassle. I just wish someone had the package in.