• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ultrasonic ?

gpz750

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
whitesboro TX
Can you run brass with the spent primers still in thru the hornady ultrasonic? It says not to, just wondering what the reasoning was.

Re: ultrasonic ?

if one does not punch the primers out the pockets will still be dirty, save up for a dedicated decapping die.

Ya, cobra said it

Lee Universal decapping die... its cheap and does the trick well. Be carefull with cases in 17cal as ive heard the decap pin can be a little thick, but on 99% of cases it works every time.

The main reason you would want ultrasonic cleaning is because it offers advantages of cleaning primer pockets and inside of the brass to a high degree.

If you do not take out the primer before cleaning you will not only end up with dirty brass but the pockets will probably become even more dirty. Carbon from inside the case will leak into the primer pocket and carbon from below the primer anvil will work loose and make its way into the primer pocket.

Add to the fact that the brass wont dry easily with a primer left in it and you will cherish the day you decide to decap first.

Decap first --> clean brass --> size clean cases = better brass and die life

I had an extra 300 mag resizing die that I took the ball off of and it will deprime 308 and others. I used this until I bought a universal. You may be able to do something similar.

I use my Lee Collet Neck sizing die as my depriming die. Then after cleaning, I simply press all the way to size the neck.