• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing UNcompaghre NAtl forest for elk/muleys

ToolsoftheTrade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2007
MI
Looking to go out into the UNcompaghre natl forest area in CO for an Elk/Muley hunt this fall, anyone here have any info on this area?

Re: UNcompaghre NAtl forest for elk/muleys

Not to the exact area but, My uncles and I went there before I went to Bootcamp in '97. It hasn't been that recent if your wanting the most up to date info. We hunted the Gunnison National forest during the second rifle season. I saw 1 Cow elk and numerous trophy Mule deer. I only had a bull elk tag so those mulies and the cow were off limits. The Mule Deer bucks I saw and I wish I could have snapped some pictures to prove it would have probably scored somewhere in the 170-190" B&C range. The country is beautiful and rugged. We found lots of old mountain homesteads which was pretty cool. You will certainly increase your odds of success if you get combo tags. Our hunt was the 2nd rifle season I think it was around the 3rd week in Oct. Cold frosty mornings and comfortable in the afternoons. We left on a Friday at the end of the week and the next day they got around a foot of snow. Pack for everything is best I can tell ya. Good Luck.

Re: UNcompaghre NAtl forest for elk/muleys

10-4 on the bears. We (my hunt team) see them every year is this area. Info, we have hunted this area for 15 years and have had mixed results. Usually the first rifle season has the higher kill ratios. Some years we split up and 3-4 guys hunt bow season, some first rifle and some late rifle. I skipped last year and will not go this year’s (I did draw for preference points however for 2010). If you have horses or can hump 6 miles in and set up base camp I would recommend Kelso Mesa. It's remote and has pressure only from a few guides. Love Mesa is another good point to hit, most of it the last few years is deemed Primitive and you will be humping 3-5 miles to get remote/ away from orange vests. I usually whack a Yote or two while there... they are freaking huge! Another spot, one of the highest peaks in the area is called Poison Mtn or Pinion... usually a bull or 2 will hold up his bitches in this area. Lots of Beef on this unit too, seems like more each year to me and I really try to stay away from areas covered with 100's of head... they can screw things up. The mules here (if you get a tag) have really prospered from lower tag issuance.... many nice ones to choose from in the right areas. Scout a day or two and get on a nice one.... they are there. 200" bucks are around for sure. All in all I love getting up there for 10 day with my buds and chilling out, until someone kills an animal off a cliff and we have to go to work to retrieve it:( Look for some boys with Texas plates and feel free to ask them questions... they are friendly's. The CO boys won't lend much help although there are exceptions. Good luck.

Here are a few pics from 07, we did not kill shit, we tried muzzleloader season and had hot weather... always seemed to be one step behind them. Only saw one kill the whole week, by a local group and they worked for it! Our other half hunted the first rifle season and killed 2 bulls and 4 muleys. 1/2 of the kills were on Brushy Mtn.

Arrival

augsept07031.jpg

By brians708, shot with EX-Z110 at 2009-04-15

A pond off the edge of Brushy Mtn.
augsept07045.jpg

WTF, Hugh tank laying off a logg'n rd. Cool to shoot at!

augsept07036.jpg

Headed down the mountain to Gunnison.
augsept07052.jpg