• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Under Armour hunting clothes or suggestions???

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
Looking for a little feedback on Under Armour's jackets and pants. I have been impressed with the base layers and other random pieces of hunting apparel I have from them and am looking at getting more. I will mostly use this hunting whitetail and various other game in Ohio but it will also be used on Colorado elk hunts. Particularly interested in the Capture and the Ayton II. I plan to layer my Hurlock 1/4 zip fleece under so warmth shouldn't be a issue. My biggest concern is how their fleece outerwear holds up to thorn bushes, stickers and bryars? Any feedback would be appreciated, also open to other suggestions.

Thanks guys
Brett

Re: Under Armour hunting clothes

Look into Kryptek...its a new hunting line and its great stuff. If you are tall than you will be out of luck though because they haven't started making tall sizes. I am 6'0" and it fits me just right. Don't have any experience with the under armor outerwear, just a few base layer pieces and performance cotton shirts. Cabela's snatched up kryptek immediately so that is the only place to get it besides ordering directly that I know of.

http://www.kryptek.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been impressed with the base layers and other random pieces of hunting apparel I have from them and am looking at getting more.
</div></div>
I'm in the same boat, love the Base map 2.5, love the socks that are knee high with arch support and the tight "spandies" for lifting and keeping my inner thighs from chaffing, the white UA hoods are great, but other than that, haven't tried much of their outer shell... i think i'll stick with what i got for by outer layers... UA is good for what it is, and that's "UNDER" armour!!!

i use 3.0 for kansas winter hunting. also, the face mask and outer jacket. i stay warm! they are great pieces. im looking at the new bibs now. i also have their polyester hooded sweater.

Thanks guys. I'm heading down to Bass Pro to try some stuff on next weekend. I'm not sure I wanna drop a fortune on the pants. I have cheap pants now and my legs never get cold when I layer. I may try a pair of the Redhead silent hide waterproof pants and see how I like them. Don't have a problem getting a nice jacket. Total budget is somewhere in the 400 range. Keep the options coming on what you guys use/like and why! Thanks again.

just baught myself some ridge reaper bibs, jacket and gloves, and love the quality and fit, just not as warm as what under armour claims it to be [ cold gear ] !! especially here in northern new brunswick canada, spring black bear and fall moose and whitetailed deer hunts tends to be a little frosty!!!! but still love the fit and quality might be a little warmer for you in ohio! just my five cents!! enjoy!;)

I've got an UA jacket that I wore all November deer hunting. It got down to -35 some days (which is about the same as -35 Fahrenheit I believe). It's warm, quiet, and breathes quite well and I do plan on buying more of their clothing in the future. Good stuff.

I have UA ridge reaper jacket and pants... I really like them, other than they are a little to warm for my neck of the woods. I have had them for 3 years now and they have held up really well. I would say you cant go wrong.

I have a set of ridge reaper as well for the past 2 seasons. I still hunt the mountains here in WV and can say with out a doubt they h9ld up well to the multifloral rose and autumn olive that I have the pleasure of going through time to time. Quiet and the color has held up well considering that from October to January they are washed no less than 3 times a week.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

If you plan on hunting in the mountains in Colorado best to think in layers. Lightweight and wind proof outer ware that packs easily is important as well as good base layers. The temperature swings during the day especially at higher elevations can be extreme and need to be prepared. I have been snowed on in the middle of July on numerous occasions and always prepare for the worst. Lot of good options out there and buy the best you can afford since you don't want to be in a position to find your gear doesn't cut it when the weather turns bad.

My experience with UA is only with the base layers. If you stay moving you are fine. They do wick moisture. However if you sit verry long you freeze. Some of my coldest sits have been wearing UA. Also if you are hunting backcountry and cannot do laundry they start to STINK. I have gone back to wearing Wool. First Lite makes great stuff as does Smart Wool. Wool Wicks moisture, stays warm when wet, and does not stink after several days. This is from someone that made his living guiding hunter in the WY mountain for several years, working as a ski insrtuctor, and works outside 4 days a week all year long. Wool is hard to beat. Layers are still key. Strip down to move and put back on to sit.

I have a kyptic jacket and is nice and warm but kind of noisy in the deer stand, I also have a ridge riper jacket its nice but runs small, I would look into Sitka gear, its expensive but worth every penny. hope this helps

Look into Kuiu or Kryptek. Sitka is nice gear but somewhat overrated for the price it seems. I've seen Sitka rip and tear very easily for being so expensive and highly regarded, they must be very good at marketing.