• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Underestimation of wife's ability.......

natesguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Missouri
So I've been teaching my boys a few things about shooting of course my wife has been joining in on the festivity. We started out shooting my Ruger 10/22. Not the best rifle to teach with but it's short and easy to handle for the boys and my wife seems to shoot it well. So skip forward a few years. Boys are doing well, and my wife seems to be picking it up very quick. I baught an anchutz match 54 and wanted to see what it would do. I'm in the back yard shooting my new rife and my wife wants to see how she can do. She shoots a 5 shot group under .300 her first time shooting the rifle. I guess I'm going to chalk this one up to the teacher.... I won't say what my group sizes were. LOL

Re: Underestimation of wife's ability.......

I've heard those who can't do, teach. I've been teaching my GF how to shoot and so far she is not out-shooting me. I'm not sure how I would feel about that, but I'd never hear the end of it, I know that.

You've got to be proud.

That's too cool, just remember not to piss her off....

My wife's a damn good shot too. So is my mom. 62 years old and she comes down here to FL to visit and she shoots just as good as me her first time ever shooting a rifle. Hopefully it just runs in the family!

Over the years I have attended many muzzle loading competitons in which the women compete separate from the men. Probably a good thing as many a'times the ladies will out shoot the men.

The shooting sports isn't like golf where the ladies get to tee off 10 to 15 yards closer to the green then the men, they shoot a true 25, 50, and 100 yards offhand - just like us men, and many kick butt!

Having coached 4-H shooting sports and when younger involvment in th Jaycee's BB gun gun program, It seems to me that females have some advantages over males when it comes to the shooting sports.
They do not get there automaticly but with work.
If a woman is intrested, she can become very good.
Mentally they are more likely to be able to ignore distractions.
I think they listen to instruction and spend less time then men discounting the information presented.
Lower center of gravity also helps in standing.
I ran smallbore silhouette matches at my local club for 15 years
I can not count the times my a** has been kicked by some young lady not old enough to get a driver's lisence.

My wife has no interest in rifles or handguns. She's OK, but nothing exceptional. Give her a shotgun and a box of clays and she is downright dangerous. She has never had any formal instruction, does not shoot regularly, and really doesn't care, but can easily run 23-24 birds on a round of trap without thinking.

I teach Appleseed Marksmanship clinics about 1 weekend a month and it never ceases to amaze me how much easier it is to teach women to shoot a rifle traditionally(sitting, standing, prone).

It seems that most men seem to think because they've got a pair that they were born knowing how to shoot a rifle so they're much harder to teach.

A few shoots back, we had a gal that had never shot a firearm in her life. After 1.5 days of instruction, she was nailing a 3 MOA gong at 600 yards about 75% of the time prone, with only a sling for support, shooting my LRB M14SA with irons. Absolutely amazed her fiance.

-David
Edgewood, NM

I would agree that women are easier to teach.

My wife doesn't shoot as much as I would like, but she occasionally will out shoot me at trap and she will out shoot many of the guys I shoot with with a pistol or .22 rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nmmi9100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems that most men seem to think because they've got a pair that they were born knowing how to shoot a rifle so they're much harder to teach.

</div></div>

I TOTALLY concur with this!! I teach basic pistol courses and also the MSF Motorbike curriculum locally. I always have a good time with the couples that take my classes. Most are usually pretty good sports about it, but, these are two sports where it has been predominantly male attended. When the women shoot tighter groups, or get a better score on the evaluations(written or riding) for the motorbike, it doesn't usually surprise me.

First time I took my wife shooting, it was pistol. She really wanted to try a Beretta. She did, and at 50ft(closest that particular range would allow- I do *NOT* know why!) she probably had 8" group. Then I gave her my G-17 with my then duty 115gr +P+ rounds; group dialed in to ~6". So I chuckled as I handed her my Kimber Tactical .45 w/ 230 Hyrdoshok, group went to about 3.5-4". I decided at that point she could shoot any of my guns she liked!

She especially likes her shotguns! Got her one of the pink Remy 870 20ga youth models. Her favorite gun! I added a +3 Choate mag extender, now it looks "cute" bad-ass.

Yeah, women can shoot!

-G45