• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Undersized Aero "Tacoma" M5 mag wells

MAHLMAN

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
I have four brands of mags on hand here and they work fine in my other guns. All three of these Tacoma receivers are within seven sequential numbers in production which tends to make me think something was drifting out in tolerance for what ever reason and these made it out the door anyway. Only one of the four mag brands I have on hand will drop out without grabbing and pulling when I push the mag release. The rest have to be pulled out.

It is my presumption that this is not something I can or want to fix and have an email into Aero to see what they will do. Chad has a whiz bang special gauge for mag wells but I do not but figure I have enough empirical evidence to indicate they are bad. Anyone else run across this problem and what did you do to solve it?

I don't know about the "Tacoma" special edition, but standard Aero M5 mag wells seems to be tighter than others. That said, the only mags that I've had to pull out are the M118 PMAGs for longer COAL.

Not sure my serial at the moment but I have a bare receiver I should have just sent back to them. GI mags would seat tightly and had to be yanked out. I filed it to make it work perfectly... vut it was a Hassel and I would have rather just waited to get a new one.
Email or call them. Tell them the issue. They will take care of it. You will just have to wait alittle bit.

Not sure my serial at the moment but I have a bare receiver I should have just sent back to them. GI mags would seat tightly and had to be yanked out. I filed it to make it work perfectly... vut it was a Hassel and I would have rather just waited to get a new one.
Email or call them. Tell them the issue. They will take care of it. You will just have to wait alittle bit.
I have a 1/2" x 18" small belt sander that would fit in there so opening it up would not be a problem. However what I took off would not be even across the magwell and would remove the anodizing protection and be ugly if I ever sold these on. I used to think I would keep them all but desires change and selling what you have pays for what you don't have.

Waiting for a return authorization and then waiting for their determination and replacement parts.

Reactions: camocorvette
FWIW... I had a few LFAR lowers that were "sticky" in context to the mags dropping free.

I Burnished the magwell with "0000" steelwool, that was just enough to allow the mags to drop free. Each lower took a few minutes to burnish.
So you might try that trick.

If the OP's magwells are so snug that a beltsander is being considered, I would strongly consider exchanging them.

On a side note... when Brownells was making 308 sized AR mags.... every single one of the ten I bought, required WAY to much effort to insert and yank free. And they would bulge when fully loaded, making the issue worse.

I ran undersized mag wheels on my Tacoma. Allowed me to run bigger rubber.

Good for off road.