• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Understanding your Mental Game

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    What are some of the things that go through your head before a stage ?

Had a great conversation about the mental game side of competitions and what causes people to miss?

What gets into your head before a stage, do some stages give you more anxiety than other stages ?

Is there a method you use to get out of your own head ?

Being brand new to this game I am really interested in seeing what people have to say.
    For me I would say that it is breathing. I know it sounds stupid but I will start thinking about my breathing and being calm and the more I think about it the worse off I am.

Reactions: Lowlight
    I use to have timer panic pretty bad which has attributed to how fast I typically shoot. I'm a fast shooter which isn't always good so I have trained myself to think "the buzzer isn't for me" and try to only have 3 conscious thoughts. "Breath, squeeze, look"

Remember to breath, don't yank the trigger, and wait/look for the bullet to give me the data I need for the next shot. Down here in the SE, we don't have the winds the MW and NW has nor do we have as many indicators for wind, coupled with 90sec par times, the best wind indicator is your last shot, so I don't need to think ab the wind as much while on the clock as most people do out that way. Ive got a wind bracket on my dope card for each stage so I use that.

Before a stage, I try to alleviate as much pressure off myself that I can by telling myself "I'm just shooting with friends and it doesn't matter what happens." Seems to help pretty well.

Edit: Regarding the speed/time thing, I've tried to make myself time out, therfore slowing myself down.

I break it down into three sections. Pre stage, on the clock, post stage.

1) Pre Stage is all about making sure your focus is where it needs to be when the clock starts. I have a pre stage checklist. I run down this list on every stage. Usually before I even leave the previous stage. This allows me to focus solely on executing the game plan once the clock starts.

Mags loaded
    Ranges confirmed
    Read the wind
    Data written down.
    Game plan
    Turrets dialed
    Bipod set
    Watch the winds through spotter/binos
    Game plan confirmed. I mentally run through the stage as many times as I can prior to the clock starting.

2) On the clock. This is all about executing the game plan and making adjustments when needed.

NPA
    Breathe
    Trigger Control
    Follow Through
    Move

3) Post stage. The biggest mistake I see in post stage is people getting upset at how they shot, then taking into and through the pre stage of the next stage. The stage is done and over, there is nothing you can do about it. I also have a check list here. It allows me to put focus on a task rather than a result.

Quickly analyze performance
    Drop mag
    Insert flag
    Police brass
    Collect gear
    Remove data card from QB sleeve
    Write score down
    Turn the page

Switching my thought process from results to task oriented over the years has been an up hill battle. It has slowly paid dividends. The last item on my stage checklist has been the most important. Turn the page, once the page is turned to the next stage in the match book, the last stage is irrelevant. The next stage has already begun. Shooters, especially new ones get wrapped up in the results of the stage and the match that they never give themselves an opportunity to improve.

I visualize myself running the stage a few times in my head. Make sure my turrets and equipment is set up right (correct dope in the gun, mags loaded properly) then when the buzzer starts I try to clear out all the noise and focus on executing proper fundamentals. Focus on 1 target at a time and don’t worry about the timer. Once I got myself into the habit of just expecting to time out most stages and instead just working on hitting the targets in on things started getting much better for me.

I also try to come up with my own game plan and wind calls and stick with that plan. No matter what I see from other shooters.

I have a habit that I've noticed than I am trying to correct. I have a tendency to get on target and be good to go in a reasonable amount of time, BUT THEN, I sort of doubt myself and my target and I want to sort of redo it..... then I have to redo my whole shooting routine and get back on target. The reality is that I was on target and steady the first time and would have made a good shot had I just trusted it and sent it.... I am trying to do like I have been instructed and "when you get on it, send it"...

3) Post stage. The biggest mistake I see in post stage is people getting upset at how they shot, then taking into and through the pre stage of the next stage. The stage is done and over, there is nothing you can do about it. I also have a check list here. It allows me to put focus on a task rather than a result.
    This is an excellent point that I hadn’t thought about. I am guilty of this even when I am just at the range practicing.
    I make a bad shot and if I don’t shake it off, the rest of the day is down the drain.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
    Switching my thought process from results to task oriented over the years has been an up hill battle. It has slowly paid dividends. The last item on my stage checklist has been the most important. Turn the page, once the page is turned to the next stage in the match book, the last stage is irrelevant. The next stage has already begun. Shooters, especially new ones get wrapped up in the results of the stage and the match that they never give themselves an opportunity to improve.

Yup. Forgot to mention this aspect. I am probably the most egregious offender of self degradation and criticism. Keeping the thought of "every stage is the first stage" helps with not letting a past stage performance affect the future stages.

I remember 1 stage in particular in VA (if you listen to my podcast, you might remember me mentioning this story) where I made a mental error on my dope before a stage. It was the easiest stage I've ever shot and ended up with a 2 due to the error. I lost my fucking shit on myself. Threw my bag, acted like an ass and almost got a stage DQ for it. (First and only time I've done this and I'm not proud at all of it) I was so angry bc of how easy a stage it was and how stupid of an error I made. It would've been an easy clean and I dicked it up. I went to my pack, sat down and breathed. Told myself to forget about it and "that stage didn't count". The very next stage was a pretty tough stage with a lot of movement and I only dropped 1 shot. A pretty good recovery from a situation that may have costed me a couple stages instead of 1. This is a very important key to keeping your mind in the fight. Don't let 1 fuck up turn into 3 fuck ups.

What are some of the things that go through your head before a stage ?

Had a great conversation about the mental game side of competitions and what causes people to miss?

What gets into your head before a stage, do some stages give you more anxiety than other stages ?

Is there a method you use to get out of your own head ?
    I'm newer but am getting to a point where I'm setting higher expectations that align with my ability and improvement curve. This is where I'm at:

- For stage prep make sure I'm 100% sure of stage requirements and all targets.
    - Mentally practice how I am going to move through the stage - This has really helped with silly errors (Wrong position, wrong target etc..)
    - As I approach the line (Caps, 1st target DOPE, Mag, rifle/gear set to work the stage) - 1st few matches I managed to muck this up a lot.
    - By this point I have the stage memorized and am ready to go... "Stick to fundamentals and get your hits, forget the clock"

I have been focusing on an area that needs improvement from my previous match. Currently I'm working on trusting my impacts... instead of being stubborn and missing in the same spot 3x I'm erring on over correcting on wind and hitting the "pro side" of the target... learned that from Phil V during a course.

Lastly, I'm a lower mid pack shooter. I keep my expectations in check to what is realistic and stick to my own goals... This helps keep me on a solid path for improvement while staying positive.

Reactions: Rog2069
    I stopped caring about scores during the match and started treating it like a range day, not a competition. Scores improved. I found worrying about bad stages and trying to achieve high scores on stages just puts me in a bad mood if I fuck it up.

- ID targets, references to find them, and memorize elevation dope as much as possible.
    - Stage flow game plan before the stage
    - Try to get the best feel for wind

I don't shoot rifle comps and I don't shoot skeet comps anymore at 69 years of age (and I wasn't really all that damn good at it even when younger! haha).

I will offer one thought that may well apply to PRS as well as skeet/trap/whatever.

In skeet, you will often hear people talking and ask "how'd you do" and the other shooter will hold up four fingers....they missed four. You will see this focus on misses more often IME than a guy saying "well fuck yeah, I hit 96 of them". See what I'm saying.

People stand around and keep re-running their misses in their head (and not the 96 targets that they ink balled) and endlessly talk "about what happened" and every fucking time they do this they just mentally shot that miss again, and again, and again and do nothing but reinforce the negative. Instead of missing that target once, you end up missing it a dozen times in your head and this is the road to perdition, IMO.

@RoterJager hit this point I think...analyze performance post shot/stage/round/whatever, identify room for improvement, then forget it and REFUSE to talk about misses.

Just a thought

Last edited:
    Dwelling on misses and worrying about what you did wrong. Can’t do anything about a miss but a miss can tell you a lot. The only shot that matters is the next one.

I break it down into three sections. Pre stage, on the clock, post stage.

1) Pre Stage is all about making sure your focus is where it needs to be when the clock starts. I have a pre stage checklist. I run down this list on every stage. Usually before I even leave the previous stage. This allows me to focus solely on executing the game plan once the clock starts.

Mags loaded
    Ranges confirmed
    Read the wind
    Data written down.
    Game plan
    Turrets dialed
    Bipod set
    Watch the winds through spotter/binos
    Game plan confirmed. I mentally run through the stage as many times as I can prior to the clock starting.

2) On the clock. This is all about executing the game plan and making adjustments when needed.

NPA
    Breathe
    Trigger Control
    Follow Through
    Move

Quickly analyze performance
    Drop mag
    Insert flag
    Police brass
    Collect gear
    Remove data card from QB sleeve
    Write score down
    Turn the page

Good lists.

This past season I made a concerted effort to be more organized in my stage prep. I kept mental lists, but my plan this year is to have written lists like yours.

I think the biggest change I made that helped improve my mental game is really watching other shooters, and watching downrange through my binos as much as possible.

For each stage, I try to form a game plan in my head, then watch people execute their plan and see how it goes, and compare to my plan. I then make adjustments as necessary. I try to watch downrange through binos for at least 2 shooters immediately before me. I'm watching for wind effects, if they are consistently missing off the same side of a plate. And, as the prior shooters move through the course of fire, I mentally move with them making sure I know mentally things like, 2 shots to Target 1 then move to position two, 2 shots on Target 2 then move to position 3, etc....

Mentally running through the course of fire like this has helped me focus. I don't have to think as much about what I need to do, instead I can devote more mental energy to executing a plan and making sure my shots are good.

I went from earning scores in the low 60s the prior season to shooting 70's/low 80's by the end of last season.

Last edited:
    shooting IHMSA, check the sights, check the rounds, check the wind, check those shooting with you/around you, get into position, relax, wait for command to fire (or advance to position) load, put sight on target, take three deep breaths, fire when releasing third. If the sight picture is not there, if anything just is not right, reset relax, take three deep breaths…Time is of the essence, but a bad shot cannot be recalled. Better to run short of time than run short of control. Bullets going the wrong way are not acceptable.

I try to not over think stuff. I write what I can down on a dope card for my wrist coach and go for it. I found by going over what I was gonna do a hundred times before the stage I would fumble stuff up. Now I make a plan but don't over think it, and just go for it. It's worked for me. Also it helps not to he first so you can watch the other guys mess up and then not do what they did wrong

Reactions: No_Call_Reengage
    One problem that I have is burning too much time trying to center punch everything. I’m on target, I’m steady, the size is generous, conditions are good, but I try too hard trying to make every shot perfect and have to rush at the end or time out.

The mind is a powerful thing.

There's definitely different levels of "mental game"

There's mental game that accepts a top 50% finish and then there mental game that doesn't accept 2nd place.

Equipment reliability, consistency, and personal training is an extremely important part of my own mental game.

"It's the Indian, not the arrow" mentality is not true for PRS. It is 100% both combinations working together in sync that boosts mental game. The best shooter can't win with subpar equipment and the worst shooter can't win with the best equipment.

In my opinion, if you train the correct way, very little should be going through your mind when you get to a stage. Everything should be trained to a point where you feel like you are on autopilot.

All that being said, there are always stages that are more important to do well on and how you handle the outcome whether good or bad is very important. I think match experience is the way those types of stages are handled.

The mind is a powerful thing.

In my opinion, if you train the correct way, very little should be going through your mind when you get to a stage. Everything should be trained to a point where you feel like you are on autopilot.

Excellent point. Stages like the barricade or KYL rocks I do go into a auto pilot like trance

Switching my thought process from results to task oriented over the years has been an up hill battle. It has slowly paid dividends.

This is the way, not just in this particular sport but it all shooting sports.

Reactions: Baron23
    I'm a lower mid pack shooter. I keep my expectations in check to what is realistic and stick to my own goals...
    Three things that have helped me in similar situations
    1. Go to a match with one goal and one goal only: 100% focus on the process of shooting
    2. Set your actual goals during practice
    3. Those goals during practice should be process-oriented not results-oriented
    Performance will then take care of itself

my biggest fight is with myself. i have set totally unrealistic expectations for myself and find myself comparing my results to others. when i first started all i worried about was how the other guys did. i have since gotten better by setting goals that are focused only on my performance and not my results/placement in the match.

i've also found pre and post stage checklists to be super helpful in preventing mental errors. mine look similar to what the others have already said.

Reactions: Josh1978
    I do a few things, but two key ones for me.

- Laminated a copy of my reticle and hang it on my spotter. While I am watching/spotting I visualize my expected holds with the reticle.

- Very disciplined post stage, brass in dump pouch, reset turrets, load mags and make notes, and get dope/scope set up for next stage. Prevents some gross buffonnery next stage: empty mag, wrong dope etc…

ZY

Swapping to MacBook. Gonna need a keyboard for this. I can talk about this for days.

Ok, here we go. I should probably start a word doc and just continually update it. Its so easy to forget something here as this one is a doozy.

- First off, lets get the obvious out of the way. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. We hammer this to the point of nauseam. But its just a universal truth.

- You have to know what the fundamentals are. If you can't rattle them off on command anytime someone asks, you don't know them. If you don't know them, you can't perfect the.​
    - Knowing the fundamentals also allows you to know when/what you can compromise. If you see an obstacle like a mouse trap and know you can't get behind the rifle properly.....if you know the fundamentals, then you know your sight picture and recoil management are going to be shit. So you focus on making sure parallax is absolutely dialed out to alleviate the sight picture. Then you either back the power down on the optic or figure another way to mitigate recoil to see what's going on.​
    Also if you don't know them subconsciously, you may find yourself wondering/worrying about them on the clock.​
    - Moving onto competition mindset. Lets talk about a few things that mess with people and how to train this out.

- The clock. This is the big one. "Time starts now" and it all falls apart.​
    Lets get something out of the way immediately. The clock does *NOT* put pressure on you. Its just a stopwatch. Just like a gun doesn't go off and kill people by itself. A clock does nothing except tell you when to start and when to stop. *EVERYTHING* else is absolutely you putting mental pressure on yourself.​
    So, if we are the ones imparting the stress, we can obviously mitigate this. The first step is realizing the above fact. Once you realize its all in your head, its much easier to move forward.​
    Stress inoculation. This is basically training the stress of the clock out of your head. You do this by practicing on your own with a clock. You'll eventually get to where the start and stop buzzer literally mean nothing to you. If they mean anything other than start and stop......you will literally *NEVER* live up to your potential. You have let the clock defeat you.​
    Fuck that clock. It means nothing. It does nothing.​
    - Knowing your own shot timing. If I walk up to you and ask "on a stable barricade, with your usual bag and rifle on a standard 2moa target, how long does it take you to get into a proper position and fire a round?" You should be able to answer that immediately. If you can't you're handicapping yourself.​
    Not every stage has enough time to complete. If you know your own shot timing. you can now use that to do a little math and know if you can actually get all 15 shots off, or if your goal should be 10 clean shots.​
    Practice Practice Practice on the clock. Give yourself less than than you would want comfortably and use that to start.​
    - Having a plan. This is two or three parts.​
    - Stage plan: knowing what you plan on doing from position to position. Go over it in your head 100 times while waiting. No movement on the stage should be a surprise unless you missed something. It should feel like you've run the stage 20 times.​
    - Dope strategy. Dial vs hold. Hold over vs under. Etc etc​
    - Shot timing. Referenced above. You use the math to plan your stage.​
    - Wind strategy. Search for a post I wrote under Dthomas3523 on wind strategy. I also did a episode on the Rifles Only Accuracy Podcast on a wind strategy I guarantee will help anyone who isn't at the top of the pack, and even then it might help.​
    Decide on dialing vs holding wind.​
    Moral of story: nothing you do on the clock should be a surprise barring you didn't miss something while planning it.​
    - What to think about while on the clock​
    IMO this is the most critical point to make. All the shit I just talked about should have been decided on long *BEFORE* it was your turn to shoot.​
    Already having the other stuff fixed allows you to think about very, very basic stuff. Here is something you can tell yourself:​
    "I already have my plan. So all that's left is to build solid position, apply proper fundamentals. and stay laser focused on where the bullet ends up."​
    No bullshit, that's it. Thats all you have to do (for a standard PRS math, field matches can be different). If you make a plan, stick to the plan, and just focus on the fundamentals......thats all there is.​
    Even if you blow every wind call on every stage, barring any tricky/switchy winds, you'll get the answer to the wind on the first show as long as you're applying proper fundamentals. After that, its off to the races. In a 10 stage 100 round match, if you dropped only the first shot each stage, you'd shoot 90%. You'll either place very high or win every match you shoot 90% at.​
    Here is an example of what I do on a stage. The assumption is, we have finished the last stage and arrive at the next. Here is what I do step by step:​
    - Read/understand the stage rules. Read it 10 times. Commit it to memory.​
    - Find targets with binos or spotter. Commit things like landmarks to memory. You can save a bit of time never searching for targets on the clock​
    - Range every target. I do this 100% of the time and its one of the reasons I now own a Vector 21. This does two things:​
    - Never miss because bad range. You paid a good amount of money to shoot this match. Don't fuck it up because the MD got a bad reading when he ranged things​
    - Further continues to make you know the stage cof inside and out​
    - Get dope and wind strategy figured out.​
    - Choreograph the stage in your head. Know where every movement is going to be before you do it.​
    - If not up immediately, I will glue my eyes to glass. I want to see everything I can on the wind. And I want to see if there's any pattern shooters are displaying. Such as always missing in a similar direction. Or see the angle of the berm forces the dirt to splash high and fast. Leaving a lot of shooters thinking they shot high and it was a windage miss. That last sentence is very important. Lots of compounding misses come from not understanding how the bullet is interacting with the environment.​
    Now its time to shoot. I have done all of this pre prep work. Ive been staring through glass and have a good idea what's going on out there.​
    You would be noticing most of the real work is done. Its all pre-stage.​
    -Check and make sure my desired elevation and/or wind is dialed in. Triple check, then check again.​
    - Set parallax and magnification where you think it needs to be in the beginning.​
    - Make sure you have ammo and the mag is in or out, depending on the stage COF​
    You should have at least one spare mag and more rounds than you need to finish the stage. If the other mag is completely extra, if you encounter a feeding failure, just move right into dropped mag and clearing the malfunction and then inserting your new mag. Ites exponentially faster than trying to make the first mag work. Trust me on this, just do it.​
    This is all done now. I tell them shooter is ready and my time starts. Here is actually the easiest part.....shooting.

This is all I think about while shooting:

- Keep eye out for wind changes. During your glassing time, find something that is in your FOV and gives you a good idea about the wind.​
    - Do *NOT* make the mistake of using the dirt/splash at the target to look for wind hints. For the distances we shoot, wind at the target is all but meaningless. This is a trap and you will see almost everyone at a match doing it.​
    Breathing, trigger control, follow through​
    Those three things are the only thing I think about unless something like wind comes up.​
    I am laser focused and I will breathe through my mouth and exaggerate breathing so I know I get it right.​
    Trigger control is given. Make good trigger presses.​
    Follow through. This is important. If you don't see where the bullet went, you just wasted a shot. And one point matters a lot here.​
    Watch either via trace or splash and see where the rounds went. This is imperative point is to only miss one shot per stage if you absolutely must.​
    And that's it. I figure everything else pre stage. Then while shooting I'm just telling myself "breathing, trigger control, follow through).​
    This make it seem very easy. Since you did all the prep work and its just making great shots and keeping and eye where the bullet went. Also, don't be shy and not adjust when your impacts favor one side. Unless its a wind bracket strategy, move the impacts to the center if they drift during the stage.​
    If you trained properly, the timer should mean nothing to you at all. Its just a piece of plastic that makes noise.​
    You made a plan and you're sticking to it.​
    Then you're doing the "easy" part and just shooting and paying attention.​
    I'm sure I missed something. 2022 we will be doing a lot of competition based training. We believe this type of class isn't offered as much as it should be. So ere going to focus on match training when people want that.​
    Hope this helped. If anyone needs any help with this, shoot me a PM. Or if I'm at a match near you, come over and we'll work on it, talk about it.​
    - DT​

Three things that have helped me in similar situations
    1. Go to a match with one goal and one goal only: 100% focus on the process of shooting
    2. Set your actual goals during practice
    3. Those goals during practice should be process-oriented not results-oriented
    Performance will then take care of itself

This x10000000.

Thats basically the short summary of my short novel. And I could break down training into other novels.

One problem that I have is burning too much time trying to center punch everything. I’m on target, I’m steady, the size is generous, conditions are good, but I try too hard trying to make every shot perfect and have to rush at the end or time out.

I would fairly strongly disagree with this.

The only caveat is when you don't have enough time to center punch. Then you have to take what you can get.

Other than that, it literally takes no longer to see your shot hit the steel .1 left and then either holding or dialing that .1 in.
    If you're burning time with center punch, you need to update training to resolve this. I promise you the top shooters are always trying to center punch.

Human minds are interesting. If you allow yourself to be sloppy on your impacts, you'll eventually start walking rounds off the plate.

If your goal is to win, you have to almost be obsessed with the pursuit of perfection.

Here are two examples of singe day "trophy" matches I shot in 2021. Both matches had 95 rounds/points available

Match 1: I was 91/95 or 96% of available points
    Match 2: I was 90/95 or 95% if available points

181/190 over two days/matches or 95% of total points.

Those sound like two career best days to most.

Match 1: 3rd place (4 way tie and the tiebreaker put me in third)
    Match 2: 2nd place

Match two, just went the way it went. I can't remember if any of those 5 shots were anything completely avoidable

Match one though.....holy shit. This will stick with me forever:

Last stage of the day. Ive only dropped 3 points. Its a stable prop, albeit with some angled railroad ties on each side. You shoot 3 from two differ angles and 3 from the center horizontal. Total of 9 points. Super stable. Your choice of order. I opted to shoot the two angles first to get them out of the way.

The target was a unicorn shaped steel that was something generous like .8 wide. 650yds in a constant wind. So nothing that hard. Chip shot stuff if you're in the running to win these matches.

I clean 3/3 on each angle. I have plenty of time. I just have to make 3 good shots in a super stable position, after I've been center punching.

I used the above suggestion "the target is generous" and I wasn't perfectly where I had been with the reticle the last 6 shots. I drop a shot right off the edge. I had so much time, I was shooting from my knees, I stood up for a sec, left rifle on prop with my hand on it to keep it in control.....took a deep breath, got back down and impacted the last two. Internally I was devastated. That miss was almost impossible and yet I did it.

I packed the stuff up since last stage, and even though I was pretty crushed over that miss, I was thinking "shit, I only dropped 4, that's good enough. No way that's not a winner."

We get back to pavilion and jokes on me. 4 way tie with 4 dropped shots.

That single shot of "it was good enough" cost me 1st place. And while prizes don't motivate me that much, I lost out on a brand new Leupold Mk5 with a pr2 reticle.

Why? Because I had one single moment of not holding myself up to the obsession of perfection.

"Focus on the process, not the outcome." Pat McNamara has a good presentation about this and echos much of what has already been said about mastering fundamentals, use of timers (beep = "you may begin now"), et cetera.

Another way to think of it came to me when I was hunting at a friend's farm and was crossing a creek via their "bridge"; a reinforced 2x12' braced between the banks. If you laid that same 2x12' on the ground, everyone would be able to walk, or even run, across it without giving it much though; and NEVER stumble or fall off. Now that its is 6' above a small stream, people pause and go slow. If it was suspended 100' in the air, most wouldn't even attempt to cross it. Why? Same process, different outcomes. Mind is focused on the outcome, not the process.

Another concept I've found helpful comes from Dr. Paul Whitesell, who defined fear (or in this case anxiety / stress) as "the perception of loss of control". If you are in control of the situation, things are fine. But if it starts to go sideways (e.g. misses), the anxiety can create further compounding problems as the mind gets clouded by outcomes. I have to refocus on the now (WIN = What's Important Now) and what I am able to control (myself and the current shot).

1) I don't get paid for this shit, I'm here for improvement.

2)stopped keeping score, I sign the sheet before I even put my rifle down and forget it. Keeping track of the points spread is an easy way to stress yourself and fuck up. Ask anyone I've shot a match with 9/10 I can't even tell you what I shot on that stage not 15 minutes after but I'll know what needs improvement.

3) look at it as a test for the dry fire and training I do at home. What is working and what do I need to practice more or find a better way to do things.

4) "Hits count, misses don't" is what I tell any shooter who's new to competition. If you shot all 10 rounds and only hit 3 is the worse than taking your time and only getting off 3 shots and hitting all 3. Worse because you likely have no idea what building a solid position felt like and what it took to get there. You learn vnothing by rushing. Once I burned this in my head my % went up and the speed came not long after. Very rare I time out now but I feel good about all the shots I take, hit or miss.

The most difficult stages for me mentally are KYL. With all the time in the world, I can shoot, spot impact, and readjust, but once that stupid clock is running I tend to tell myself I don't have time for all that. I assume I'm going to miss a small target as some point, so I talk myself out of caring about the stage at all in the first place. I would guess my average on KYL stages is 4/10 impacts. I have come to expect this...and that's really the mental error isn't it? I'm planning to fail, so I do.

^^^Great book.

I dryfire a lot more these days than I did in the past. When you dryfire with a timer - including dialing elevation and holding wind - you become wayyyy more efficient. When you break clean shots you hit way more targets, and this is where you can practice making sure you break shots in the center of the target and don't get lazy. Don't disturb the sights, just like a pistol.

For Matches:

Once I've gathered all my data, I go ahead and dial in the first target and set my parallax. As I'm walking up to get ready to shoot I run through how I plan to run the stage (How I'm going to shoot each position, and where each target is). When the RO asks if i'm ready, I look at my elevation knob to make sure it's right, look on my data card to see what my first wind call is, and locate the first target before i nod my head (takes 3 seconds). Right as the buzzer goes off I thank God that I get to spend time with friends playing a game, which gives me the feeling of gratefulness (because I am) and gives me an excited feeling in my chest which eliminates all negative thoughts. Then it's just the process of going through the motions and watching where each bullet goes, and seeing if I need to change wind columns I have written down on my dope card. Then mag out, chamber flag in, return my knobs to zero and move off the line. Set the rifle down, write the score down and start working on the next stage.

Some people are grinders, get mad at themselves, and it works for them. It took me 17 years of shooting competitions to realize that being grateful and thankful is how I shoot best - it frees me up.