• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

undesignated savage non target action?

Mike0341

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
Houston Texas
where can i find an undesignated savage action? they have the target actions i know but thats not what I'm looking for since those will not allow me to have a detachable box magazine.

my plan is to build a savage striker type pistol but with a detachable mag.

i need a undesignated action because apparently its illegal to put on a shorter barrel and a pistol stock on an action that was intended to be a rifle unless i pay a $200 tax stamp and if I'm going to do that i might as well make an SBR and go through that whole ordeal.

i would just buy a striker but i would prefer to build my own and have a detachable mag.

i know i can get a remington undesignated action already but then i would need a smith to do all the work and I'm looking for a project i can do on my own.

i have heard rumors of something called a Rem-Age conversion where a remington action takes a savage style barrel threaded for remington and with a locking nut. i guess i could research that route but my google-fu has not helped in terms of people who make barrels for that type of conversion.

thanks

Mike

Re: undesignated savage non target action?

Contact Jim Briggs with Northland Shooters Supply. (763) 682-4296
He has Savage actions and Rem-age barrels also.

I bought my short action non designated action from Jim at Northland shooters supply listed above. Was a great experience hes got very good customer service.

awesome. thanks for all the help.

has anyone had any experience with a rem-age build? i just found out about them not too long ago so i have not run across anyone building one up.

i currently have 2 projects running and after the holidays i want to start another. so far I'm working on a stevens 200 "budget build" in 223, and an old sportorized Mauser that i got for free that needs some work.

if the Rem-age can be done and have good results as far as accuracy goes (on par with the savage at least) i may go with that and build a 300 win mag "budget build" like i planned on doing with a savage. problem is that B&C doesn't make an A2 or A5 stock for the long action savage and i like their stocks for the price.

thank you all for your help. now i have some thinking to do as far as what idea to go with first lol.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike0341</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome. thanks for all the help.

has anyone had any experience with a rem-age build? i just found out about them not too long ago so i have not run across anyone building one up.

i currently have 2 projects running and after the holidays i want to start another. so far I'm working on a stevens 200 "budget build" in 223, and an old sportorized Mauser that i got for free that needs some work.

if the Rem-age can be done and have good results as far as accuracy goes (on par with the savage at least) i may go with that and build a 300 win mag "budget build" like i planned on doing with a savage. problem is that B&C doesn't make an A2 or A5 stock for the long action savage and i like their stocks for the price.

thank you all for your help. now i have some thinking to do as far as what idea to go with first lol.

Mike</div></div>

I'm building one now. Should have the barrel and barrel nut this Wednesday (Criterion from Jim @ Northland SS). Then I'm sending the action and Rem-age barrel nut off to be trued. They will fix the action to locate the lug like a Savage also. I hope to have it together and rockin before Christmas.

post up some pics when its done. would love to know how it shoots.

Mike thanks for the post,I have been thinking about building a LR pistol too and seem to be in the same position you are.
I actually thought about using a savage model 10 and just going with a 16"barrel and a mcree folding stock(remove the folder),should meet the 26" min length and i can also convert back to full rifle plus easy barrel change.