• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Unertl 10x scope at CMP auction

It was posted on the vintage forum a week ago. I wasn't sure why it wasn't posted in the scopes forum, but I was glad for the heads-up just the same (just like to watch). Thanks for posting it here; it should get more exposure. It's hard for me to think of them as being "vintage", but I guess I need to come to grips with that!

Here's what I said on that thread-
This is rarer than rare. Other than a few being presented to VIPs I have never heard of any sold legally on the open market until now. Whoever gets this will not have to be looking over his shoulder, or squirreling it away in some dark closet. He isn't just buying a scope, he'll be buying a real piece of Marine Corps sniping history, and the only part of the M40A1 that is unique to it and has been virtually (legally speaking) unobtainable. It's rarity and history will bring the big bucks, not to mention the legal and clear title. As far as legal ownership by civilians goes, even the ultra-rare B-model (10X Sniper) is not as rare as the Marine Corps model. Though that might change if more of these are sold.

I saw one sell at auction for $8100 seven years ago, howbeit in much better shape, but almost certainly illegally obtained.

Other than the windage knob, this one appears to be all original. Born 21 March 1980, very first contract run, 15th made (including the five prototypes). The original windage knob was changed out to the early production type, as all the first batch were as far as I know. It hasn't been monkeyed with by USO. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it may even still have the original reticle with the round 1/2MOA dots.