• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unertl/52 Project

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    I mentioned in another thread that I would be updating my Win 52 Squirrel rifle. Now that the work is in progress I will post up some details in case anyone has interest.

First, I have obtained a set of Unertl type mounts that are in new condition. No idea who built them but clearly precision was the goal. They are super precise and have zero backlash.

The second part is that the 6X small game Unertl is being fitted with a custom dot reticule with drops in 25 yard increments to 250 yards. The data for the drops was arrived at over two years of testing in various conditions.

All in all I think this will be my ultimate squirrel set up.

IMG_7896.jpeg
    IMG_7895.jpeg

These are the new mounts. Probably built in thec1960’s.

These are the Unertls I use on my squirrel rifles. The extra eyepieces are to add or subtract .33%. They change quickly and require no sighting changes.
    IMG_7899.png

One of the 200 yard test for data. This lot of Eley Tenex EPS ammo has a very low ES in my rifle. It is a few years old prior to the current issues showing up. The flat nose bullet seems to have better terminal effect than the RN bullet. It’s still only effective on head shots for really consistent kills.
    IMG_3840.jpeg

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
    Dayum RT!

Just dayum!

I'll wander around in the morning woods with my antique, well worn Marlin 60,
    no way I could handle the possibility of damage to such a classic setup. :oops:

Funny, we all have our quirks. I feel they are built to use. But.... this rifle seems to always shoot beyond my ability. I simply cannot bring myself to shoot 50 or 100 shots at a target. My concern is simply that the magic might fade. I check POI, shoot critters. If I have a bad round of ammo I optimistic enough to think it will be shot on a sub 50 yard squirrel. The longer ones are always fired with perfect ammo. :)

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
    I am out of my realm here but I noticed that there are a variety of spacing on the rings. How do you accommodate for "difference" in click values of the rings on each? I'm sure it is a simple matter but it seems baffling to me. A wonderful project by the way. Those older 52 just look right with those style optics.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Charger442
    Bases are typically placed 7.2” CTC. That equals .25 MOA PER click. Mobility of the rings up and down the tube allow eye relief to be set to the shooter.
    These scopes seem to intimidate people. I know many who drill and tap receivers due to this. 10 minutes with a knowledgeable user would take care of all issues.

BTW, another little tidbit. The long, narrow rib on top of the tube is anti rotational device. It’s called a “Pope Rib” from Harry not the pontiff. 😂

I am out of my realm here but I noticed that there are a variety of spacing on the rings. How do you accommodate for "difference" in click values of the rings on each? I'm sure it is a simple matter but it seems baffling to me. A wonderful project by the way. Those older 52 just look right with those style optics.

Don't think about it too hard. RTH is correct about the spacing and it's equivalent moa per click. But in this case, it just doesn't matter much. 22lr ammo is cheap, when you set the scope you're not really going to be dialing for distance, thus why he's installing a graduated reticle at certain distances. Point and shoot.

Last edited:
    RTH
    Who is doing the reticle for you ?
    10 dots/ hash marks below the horizontal ?
    How is it going to be set up ?

It’s going to be simple dots in a vertical orientation.

200 yards is my normal maximum RF range. I skipped 225 but put on a 250 yard dot. The first four are to be .5 min and the remainder .25 min. I’ll try to post up photos and more detail when done. Hoping by 2/1/24.

Sorry i don’t get it , I was just wanting to know who was doing the cross hair work

It’s going to be simple dots in a vertical orientation.

200 yards is my normal maximum RF range. I skipped 225 but put on a 250 yard dot. The first four are to be .5 min and the remainder .25 min. I’ll try to post up photos and more detail when done. Hoping by 2/1/24.

im very interested in the how. ive held many Unertl reticles in my hands.... i am interested in how you're doing it, how you're measuring where to place, the calcs done to find the dot spacing, whether its going to be dots on the horsehair or will it be a cellophane disk with a "modern" printed reticle thats clued to the reticle spacer/holder?

very intrigued.

Reactions: RTH1800
    I wanted crosswires but the concern was that getting that many parallel would be impossible. Wires running anything but parallel would look awful.

I’ll post more when I know more.

I wanted crosswires but the concern was that getting that many parallel would be impossible. I’ll post more when I know more.

you would have to precisely notch the holder tube and make sure it was EXACTLY in the correct spot, with no play. i wonder if the brass holder tube could be laser cut at the correct interval and have the wire put into those notches?

Reactions: RTH1800
    Scope arrived. Reticule is well done but dot spacing is clearly off. Going to try to get it fixed correctly. Will likely take too long again.

• Sad
    Reactions: Stevo86