• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unertl experts, need help busting eBay douchebag

Former0302

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Baltimore County
I bought an 8x scope on eBay based on the description that it was "the civilian version of the scope found on the USMC M1903-A1/Unertl from World War 2. Incredibily difficult to come by don't miss your chance to own this one!"

should have known better, but it is the 8x 1 inch target scope with a 2'' objective lens. Definitely not the civilian version of the USMC scope and not legal for CMP matches.

Caveat Emptor, should have done my research before plunking down the cash, but I think I have a case to get my money back as the description was intentionally misleading. I tried contacting the seller in case he didn't know and listed it incorrectly and was essentially told to go pack sand.

I opened up a case with eBay in order to teach this guy a lesson and hopefully get my money back. They require an independent 3rd source to verify that the item is not the civilian version of the USMC scope.

If you would be willing to help me, please PM me and I'll send you photos of the scope and more details as to exactly what I need to beat this guy.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Unertl experts, need help busting eBay douchebag

Couple of ideas:

1) Sign up to this group:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Unertl/

Found some really good stuff there when I was hunting scopes down. And John Unertl posts there...no better expert if you can get him to help!

2) Contact the guys at Parsons Scope Services:

http://www.parsonsscopeservice.com/

Maybe they can help?

3) If you know the state where the seller is located, go online and check out their State Justice Department website. They will probably have a department dealing with financial and internet fraud - get the names of the head of department. Last time someone tried to scam me on an Ebay item I emailed them and suggested that they might prefer to refund me rather than explain themselves to their local fraud investigators. Worked really well
wink.gif

4) I can send you scans of the Unertl User Manual that shows the different sizes of civilian scope objectives and happy to scan the books I have detailing the specs of the USMC contract scopes.

5) Can send you as many pics as you like of my contract scope/mounts for comparison.

Yep, that's it.

My face is red just thinking about getting suckered. Oh well, perhaps I can get my money back.

It's actually in nice shape and is a nice scope. Just not what it was billed as.

Would make a pretty good scope for a vintage varmint rig.

I think it is a civilian version of the USMC scope. I am sure you saw a photo and knew exactly what you bought. I doubt that sits well with you at all, but I am sure it is a good scope. I suspect it is worth about what you paid as most others would have not bid it beyond it's actual value. 2" Unertl in very good condition should have a value of 6-800.
I bought a very expensive (far more expensive than an original USMC Sniper) item on ebay and it was criminaly mis described and no recourse. Suggest you move on as you will get no help.
Sorry, hope you get a good deal to make up for it.

It is a matter of sematics. There is no exact civilian version of the USMC scope. It is an 8x Unertl made for the civilian market. I do not think Unertl even made a 2" scope pre war. I could be wrong but I own over 60 of the old target scopes and have never seen a pre war 2" that I can remember. Buyer did not do his homework and still got what he paid for. I think he fared well.

The USMC scope was based on the 1 1/4" Target scope.

What former0302 got was a 2" objective Target or Ultra Varmint model with 1" tube. There are clear differences between the two. Most noticable is the parallax/range adjuster arrangement on the bell housing - very different on the 1 1/4" original.

The delivered scope looks to be very nice condition and I'm sure can be resold without too much problem as it seems to also have the original box....but it is NOT what it was advertised as and will NOT fit on former0302's 1903A1 clone.

Not get help?? What makes you say that rth1800?

I think you may be best off just walking away. You did get a VERY nice scope (by the looks of it) and will only further incerase your loss by spending your time to try to make it right. It looks you may have paied a few hundred over what they sell for and if that is the worst gun related deal you make my hats off to you! I am not tring to take away from the fact that there are ass holes out there who beleve they have the right to be dishonest and scam all they can. Hell that seems to be the rule now a days, and its very sad. I just think it would be fruitless to pursue it.

I hear ya regarding making a mistake and having to own it. I didn't do enough homework to know what I was getting into, and so here I am. I did make that decision though based on the description given, which I feel was intentionally deceptive.

Rth1800, yes I did see a picture, but no I didn't know what I bought. I do now. But, yes I'm aware that it's a pretty nice scope and would probably sell okay for a relatively small loss.

Oh, the scope box isn't original. It is made to look that way in the add, but it's just some plywood pieces held together with some finishing nails. Poorly I might add. But in total fairness to the seller, it was never claimed to be.

For me, it's more about contesting someone who I believe was being intentionally deceitful. Who knows, maybe nothing will come of it, and I'm okay with that if that's the result.

To be honest, I debated posting asking for help and revealing my mistake the masses. The young tend to get eaten here. But I figured a few would be willing to help me, and maybe someone else could benefit from learning about my mistake through my experiences instead of their own.

Respectfully to those saying to just walk away, I've never walked away from a fight in my life and so I won't start now. I'm going to see it out, at least as far as the eBay case resolution. Why wouldn't I try?

BasraBoy, thanks for your support and for your help. And the others that have helped thanks as well.

I hear ya, good luck brother Semper Fi.

OP, You might want to keep that box. The later Unertls were shipped in boxes exactly as you describe.
About not getting help. I bought a 10,000 item that was an absolute lie and not what was even pictured. Forged documentation etc. Ebay just said OH well! I expect you will not get help either.

rth1800...understood.

But I agree with former0302 - walking away just encourages the perpetrators to keep doing it.

I've had two major problems with Ebay...both resolved (but hard work from my side was the only way to get it done) - so it can be done - even on firearms related disputes. But these were with chancers who weren't really organised.

I have one other on a UK site right now that is still open and I think that one has got away! It is far more organised than the two Ebay ones...Police suspect professional Eastern European/Romanian fraudsters.

Money transfered, recipient account closed immediately following receipt and didn't ship. Address account is registered to is a multiple occupancy address with no-one by the name of the account holder resident. Banks refuse to accept responsibility despite the recipient bank knowing (according to Police) that the account was fraudulent and that they are potentially liable for prosecution for assisting money laundering/fraud by allowing the account to stay open!

Is this the 8X unertl you beat me to the draw on? LOL how much did U end up time you got her home.. very best

Yep, the very one. If you follow the link above to the ebay auction you can see what it closed at.

As others have said, it is a nice scope. Truly is. Just not what it was billed to be and won't work for the reason I bought it.

On a vintage varmint rig or a deer slayer it'd do fine. Just not on a Springfield 1903.

Case decided upon in my favor. Refund will be given upon confirmation of receipt of the item by the original seller.

Sincere thank you to those that helped me out, especially to BasraBoy.

Congratulations! I am amazed! Good Job!

As one of my fellow countrymen once famously said......"NEVER surrender!"
wink.gif

Glad you got it sorted.

Just make sure you return the scope with a signature required on delivery.

did you pay with paypal? if so a paypal case is way easier than ebay at times. with paypal you say it was not as described and when you put proof that you have returned the item then they refund the item.

i went to my ebay page as if i was going to sell something and it says if i want to accept returns or not. if i say no then it says "It is OK to not accept returns, but do remember that you are obligated to describe your item accurately".

did ebay say how the 3rd party send the info to ebay? you could just be the 3rd source and send it to them. how the hell do they know and how do they know what you received vs what the actual scope looks like.

basically its your word vs theirs and typically ebay sides with the buyer. being an ebay seller can be risky at times because its easier to scam the seller than it is to scam the buyer. I've heard of ppl accepting returns and receiving rocks back or a paper weight, even empty boxes because ebay only tracks that the package was actually returned (you need to give ebay the tracking info typically when returning an item).

i hope everything goes ok for you.

EDIT: i see it went ok. i really need to learn to read till the end lol

Glad it worked out for you. eBay and paypal have really started to
Side with the buyer that is a big change over the last few years

I sold a Leica range finder on eBay, and I had to wait until the seller received it before I got paid since I am not a power seller, even though I have a 100% positive feedback score on 500+ transactions. If the buyer is a flake, then they can say anything to eBay and I would be out my high $ item until I fight and haggle about it. I liked it better when you got paid before you shipped. I am not likely to use eBay to sell high $ items again. Plus by the time eBay and PayPal take their cut, you pay dearly for their services.