• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unertl for 52C

flatland1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
I bought a decent 52C w/std wt bbl recently, and had begun looking for a nice Unertl target scope for it when I found an ad for two Unertls - a 20x target, 3/4" tube, 1-1/4 objective & 15x target, 1" tube, 2" objective, both in excellent condition. I made an offer for both scopes, he accepted my offer, and eventually, as in yesterday, USPS finally delivered them to the small post office in town. The guy who sold them had done a very nice job of packaging them, wrapping each scope in microfiber towels and then using mucho bubble wrap around the towels, before putting each scope into separate shipping tubes. It took me some time to get them unwrapped, but they came through shipping without the slightest bit of damage, so I'm pretty happy to have them. Got the little 20x scope mounted on the 52C last evening, and am looking at whether to mount the much larger 15x scope on my old Winchester High Wall std sporting rifle, or look into building a Viet Nam era replica M70 sniper rifle, and mounting it on that.

Unertls are classic optics - the only one I've got any experience with is a 16x 3/4" with 1-1/4" objective that I put on a CMP 52D in a Doan Trevor H&H prone stock of Claro walnut - I've really enjoyed shooting this rifle with Eley black box.

Attachments

• DSC_0345.JPG
    DSC_0345.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0518.JPG
    DSC_0518.JPG
    482.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I want one some day. But every individual I run into that has one knows fuck all about them. So I can't really trust them to sell an item that is even in working order.

And then the internet has the dilemma of getting things shipped in one piece.

And I have no desire due to my vision to run some 10X or less optic. So I'm dipping into the more expensive end of the pool to start.

Tried to get a super minty looking B&L 6-24 Balvar scope that was mounted on a pre64 winchester varmint .243 from the local Scheels....but they wouldn't seperate the two.

Had a wicked erector where windage and elevation adjust around the main tube. Found this inage online of one.....

Screenshot_20240309_112727_Chrome.jpg
Would've looked bitchin' on my 52B for a dedicated 50yd BR rig or any of my other target guns.

Reactions: Stevo86
I want one some day. But every individual I run into that has one knows fuck all about them. So I can't really trust them to sell an item that is even in working order.

And then the internet has the dilemma of getting things shipped in one piece.

And I have no desire due to my vision to run some 10X or less optic. So I'm dipping into the more expensive end of the pool to start.

Tried to get a super minty looking B&L 6-24 Balvar scope that was mounted on a pre64 winchester varmint .243 from the local Scheels....but they wouldn't seperate the two.

Had a wicked erector where windage and elevation adjust around the main tube. Found this inage online of one.....

View attachment 8368631 Would've looked bitchin' on my 52B for a dedicated 50yd BR rig or any of my other target guns.
I have one of those and I can't, for the life of me, remember where I got it. Mines not in great shape though.

I don't think I'd ever seen even a photo of a BalVar like that...thanks for posting.

I'm not sure what to do with the larger of the two Unertl scopes. It's way too big to put on a smallbore rifle, and looks pretty big when set along aside the High Wall. All the photos I've seen of scout snipers with Unertls are the smaller target style like the ones I have on the two 52s. Maybe it would look good on a period varmint rifle from back in the '50s? Might be the basis for a nice 22-250AI on a pre-64 M70 action in a nice claro walnut stock....

I took the 52C out yesterday afternoon, with temps in the upper 50s, and mostly light winds, though there were periodic gusts from 7:00. Got it zeroed, and the adjustments were reliable & accurate. Seems like I'm always impressed with the optics of these small-tube scopes - clear & sharp. These two I just got have obviously been taken care of and not banged around at all. Nicest two Unertls I've seen - will be darned careful with them to keep them in the good condition I received them in. Someday, someone else who appreciates what they are and what they're capable of will hopefully take good care of them and pass them on when he or she can no longer use them.

Reactions: STex
I don't think I'd ever seen even a photo of a BalVar like that...thanks for posting.

I'm not sure what to do with the larger of the two Unertl scopes. It's way too big to put on a smallbore rifle, and looks pretty big when set along aside the High Wall. All the photos I've seen of scout snipers with Unertls are the smaller target style like the ones I have on the two 52s. Maybe it would look good on a period varmint rifle from back in the '50s? Might be the basis for a nice 22-250AI on a pre-64 M70 action in a nice claro walnut stock....

I took the 52C out yesterday afternoon, with temps in the upper 50s, and mostly light winds, though there were periodic gusts from 7:00. Got it zeroed, and the adjustments were reliable & accurate. Seems like I'm always impressed with the optics of these small-tube scopes - clear & sharp. These two I just got have obviously been taken care of and not banged around at all. Nicest two Unertls I've seen - will be darned careful with them to keep them in the good condition I received them in. Someday, someone else who appreciates what they are and what they're capable of will hopefully take good care of them and pass them on when he or she can no longer use them.
A 40X would be a good option for the bigger Unertl. Or, one of Peter Senich's books shows a similar Unertl mounted on a Model 70 supposedly used in Korea.

Also, I believe the other two pictured are 1-1/2" objectives, not 1-1/4.

A 40X would be a good option for the bigger Unertl. Or, one of Peter Senich's books shows a similar Unertl mounted on a Model 70 supposedly used in Korea.

Also, I believe the other two pictured are 1-1/2" objectives, not 1-1/4.
You are correct, the smaller target scopes do have 1-1/2" objectives.

For what it’s with OP. I found the higher magnification versions didn’t look as good to me when viewed through.

I have a 10x and a 24x and prefer the 10x. I had contemplated selling the 24 and getting one in the 8-12 range instead. I haven’t done that yet though.

For what it’s with OP. I found the higher magnification versions didn’t look as good to me when viewed through.

I have a 10x and a 24x and prefer the 10x. I had contemplated selling the 24 and getting one in the 8-12 range instead. I haven’t done that yet though.
I'm pretty amazed at how clear both the 16x & 20x small target scopes are - I shot 60-70rds through the 52C/20x, then got out my V22S with a modern Leupold 24x BR scope and put 50rds through it, both rifles shot on paper at 50yds. I'm not the least bit disappointed in the Unertl.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I'm pretty amazed at how clear both the 16x & 20x small target scopes are - I shot 60-70rds through the 52C/20x, then got out my V22S with a modern Leupold 24x BR scope and put 50rds through it, both rifles shot on paper at 50yds. I'm not the least bit disappointed in the Unertl.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad. Something about the 10x is just better to my eye. The 24x looks fine, and I upgraded the crosshair thickness as well.
193C1B3B-3C32-4522-B8BE-FBB2451FC0A1.jpeg