• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unertl Scope Question. Zeroing

Charlie112

Herd Thinner
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
USA
I have received my scope back from the repair shop and would like to get my m40a1 up and running. Upon reading the Technical Manual on the rifle and related optical equipment, and without a 300-yard range at this time, what is the best way to zero the scope?
Should I use the FIELD EXPEDIENT ZEROING method??
Do you all that have your optics operational recommend another method of zero??
Thanks,
Charlie112

I would just bore sight it. Then when you can live fire, you'll get it on paper.
Yes, copy that, I was not sure about siting in the " bore site, dead on at 100yds method and being able to adjust for longer yardage targets using the dials...

You zero at 100 by bore sighting usually and set the parallax to 300. Two entirely different adjustments. You don’t need to shoot at 300 to adjust parallax.

Last edited:
Xcount is right. Use the allen wrenches to adjust the up and down at 100 yrds, same with windage. Use the other spanner to adjust parallax at 300 yrds. It's really not that complicated at all.

We used to have a 25-yard range that was used, which was the initial zero they talk about

Might have been a 25-inch range or something weird like that, I forget exactly but thought it was 25 yards, that is why it had two zeros mentioned. It was a FOB Style inside the camp range vs an actual range.

But it's like a modern Vortex GEN 2 Razor in a lot of ways, you adjust the center screw with no clicks the same as you would adjust a Razor GEN 2.

At the time I did it I was under the impression zero at 300 as well.

I started with making sure I had the best ocular focus of the reticle on a neutral background.

Than I adjusted parallax settings at 300.

Boresighted to get on paper at 300.

Adjust zero at 300.

I wasnt happy with my groups so I did do a fine tune zero at 100 after I had my 300 zero. I also tweaked my ocular slightly. My parallax looked fine after adjusting the ocular and there was no need to readjust at 300.

I really over thought it when I was doing it. Having a friend to help when doing parallax could help but you can do it alone.

Just look away often to reset your eyes, than weave and bob.

Edit add for clarity......

At 300 yards I used the "3" coarse adjustment and "0" fine tune.

At 100 yards to fine tune my zero I used The "1" coarse adjustment and "0" fine tune.

I cant change anything now as I have painted it and if I were to move either my ocular or parallax it would offset my camo pattern and trigger my OCD. If I want to adjust anything Ill have to paint the whole rifle.....

P7266945.JPG

Last edited:
You zero at 100, the Unertl is a BDC Turret, so the numbers match the yards.

You use the course adjustment for the yard line, 5 = 500, then the fine-tune for the individual, ammo etc,

So 500 yards would be, 5 + 2, as in dial on the 5 Line of the big turret and +2 on the fine-tuning

the Parallax was 300 yards, but really you don't want to mess with the parallax it's not as easy as you think

Reactions: D_TROS
I have received my scope back from the repair shop and would like to get my m40a1 up and running. Upon reading the Technical Manual on the rifle and related optical equipment, and without a 300-yard range at this time, what is the best way to zero the scope?
Should I use the FIELD EXPEDIENT ZEROING method??
Do you all that have your optics operational recommend another method of zero??
Thanks,
Charlie112
I am not disagreeing with any post here, but the reason for my question is the USMC Tech manual states the 300 yard zero as pmclain is talking about. I was also trying to post a picture of the short yardage zero that lowlight is referencing, all the info is in the tech book, but I can't use the 300-yard range, therefore wanting to see if there was some way to supersede the 300 yards. Perhaps the " 900 inch"<25yds> would get me there, Again, Thanks for all your replies!!
pmclain, nice paint job!!!!!

The thing I guess is setting parallax at 300. You dont need a hot range to do that.

Truth be told its your scope and you know what your most likely range distances will be so you may decide to set parallax at a more appropriate range.

Im guessing the USMC chose 300 for the parallax as good from 100 -1000. Reality is I dont think operational engagements are so frequently "mid range". Got to be truthful 600 yards is only "mid range". Most operational shit considers 300 yards a long shot and long range shooters consider that "short range". Afghanistan and being places without trees has changed that need for distance ability.

The next issue is does the ammunition match what the scope BDC was designed for?

I shoot FGMM 175 out of mine if I want to be as close as I can be with the BDC but its not perfect.

If all you have is a 100 yard range might as well zero at 100. Why not even set parallax at 100 if need be. My understanding is parallax error is more pronounced at ranges inside your setting.

Realize that you will have to be houdini setting the scope. Sometimes you will coarse dial under than fine tune up. Or you may dial over than fine tune down.

It was a fantastic scope intended to be for non thinking purposes when designed. Because of that Im thinking now why didnt they just have a fixed parallax and keep the L/Cpl from fucking around? Compared to todays scopes though it is very quirky but built like a brick shithouse.

There are way more actually trained guys on that gear on here.

Take my advice with a grain of salt and expect errors.

Reactions: Charlie112
We never used a 300-yard zero, I have class information right here, not sure why the book would say 300, would need to know the date of the manual you have, but we used 100 yards, or if they meant that for the previous scope, and not the unertl.

The BDC turret starts at 1, that is 100, 2, is 200, etc,

Again, we barely messed with the parallax, it was something you didn't want to touch if you can help it,

So when I got my US OPTICS MST100. They did show a 300 yard zero… the 900 in method and one other that I don’t remember in the manual. I spoke to several friends who were SS and they said they always zeroed at 100 or the 900 in method. I’ve done both and dialed out to 1000 yards and everything seemed to work fine. You kinda need 3 damn hands to zero these things tho lol.

So when I got my US OPTICS MST100. They did show a 300 yard zero… the 900 in method and one other that I don’t remember in the manual. I spoke to several friends who were SS and they said they always zeroed at 100 or the 900 in method. I’ve done both and dialed out to 1000 yards and everything seemed to work fine. You kinda need 3 damn hands to zero these things tho lol.
Thanks,,,

We never used a 300-yard zero, I have class information right here, not sure why the book would say 300, would need to know the date of the manual you have, but we used 100 yards, or if they meant that for the previous scope, and not the unertl.

The BDC turret starts at 1, that

Again, we barely messed with the parallax, it was something you didn't want to touch if you can help it,
Copy !!

thumbnail (2).jpg

Ok, here is a picture of the front cover of the Technical Manual I am referring to, I picked this up I believe on the Hide, it has a lot of info on the m40a1 rifle and optics ......
After a few hours at the range, everyone is correct!! and extra arm and a lot of patience...

View attachment 7761095
Ok, here is a picture of the front cover of the Technical Manual I am referring to, I picked this up I believe on the Hide, it has a lot of info on the m40a1 rifle and optics ......
After a few hours at the range, everyone is correct!! and extra arm and a lot of patience...

Pictures of this rifle and groups please for our viewing plezure.

Reactions: camocorvette
Ok, rifle up tonight I hope, targets tomorrow, not done with zero. Please excuse my hillbilly cheek rest... had to make do. I will improve. Raven built rifle on a return stock.

Sweet cedar chest........you traditionalist.

If it's a Raven Rifle it will shoot.....that scope will probably hold you back as far as making groups but it will bang steel all day.

In my experience, we always zeroed at 100 yards. The adjustments for zeroing were done with the hex wrench in the center of the turrets. The only thing that made it challenging was the lack of tactile increments when zeroing. Getting a perfect zero was challenging at times. At one point, some of us created a template that fit around the elevation turret that had graduations representing MOA of adjustment. Around the circumference of the template were graduated lines indicating MOAs of adjustment. With this template we would use the hex wrench, acting as pointer, to count off the graduations as we adjusted the zero. The spacing of the increments on the template was determined by trial and error. It took some time to finalize it, but it worked pretty good. I wish I still had one. And a Unertl to go with it, of course.

BDC was set for the 173gr FMJ M118 Special Ball load. Muzzle velocity was supposed to be 2550-2600 fps. If I remember correctly, the G1 BC was .453. The fine tune adjustment allowed for accounting for different velocities and environments. A revolutionary design for the time (late 1970s and early 1980s). I always marveled at how ingenious the design was.

When the M118LR came out, it needed to closely match the Unertl BDC along with some other requirements and scopes.

The parallax adjustment was an absolute mystery to most. First, there was not good comprehension of what parallax was, how it affected your aim (potentially) and how to adjust it out. Second, there were no indications on the adjustment what you were doing. It was all a mystery. The objective bell is where it was adjusted, after loosening the locking ring with the spanner wrench. Turning the adjustment ring out only moved the objective lens cell if the locking ring was in contact with the adjustment ring. If it was not, the objective cell moved when the locking ring was tightened (pulled the objective lens cell into the adjustment ring). The locking ring threaded into the objective lens cell. The adjustment ring was threaded to the scope's objective bell. It only really moved the cell on its own when it was turned in. When adjusting this way, the adjustment ring pushes the objective cell in and pulls the loosened locking ring along with it. When the correct adjustment is found, tightening the locking ring only screws the lock ring against the adjustment ring, locking the objective cell in place where the adjustment ring had stopped it.

With this in mind, what I found works best is the following:

1. Loosen the objective locking ring and screw it out noticeably, maybe a 1/4". If it comes off, not problem, just screw it back in until the first two or three threads are engaged.
  2. Screw the objective adjustment ring out so that it meets the locking ring. If the scope body is painted, you will notice how far the adjustment ring has moved forward on the scope body.
  3. Grabbing the locking ring, pull it forward. It should move smoothly, but with some resistance, forward. There is an o-ring and lube that is holding a tight seal on the interior of the scope. If you look through the scope, it should now be noticeably out of focus.
  4. While looking at a target at the distance you want to be parallax-free, begin turning the adjustment ring in, pushing the objective cell into the scope. As you do this, the target image will get clearer.
  5. Just as you would focus any scope, as you adjust, continually check for the absence of parallax, not just a "clear" target image. Once you have no parallax, tighten the locking ring down and you're done.
  6. The key is: your final adjustment with the adjustment ring must always be turning it in while pushing the objective cell in. If not, when you tighten the locking ring, it will pull the objective cell out of focus once again.
Hope this long explanation was helpful for those who read the entire thing. Pictures would help, but I don't have a Unertl of my own.

Semper fi,

AG

The quickest way to self induced INSANity , is to even think about adjusting the parallax on these scopes , even with guidance from USO the makers , I know from the hard way .

Ok, rifle up tonight I hope, targets tomorrow, not done with zero. Please excuse my hillbilly cheek rest... had to make do. I will improve. Raven built rifle on a return stock.
I mentioned I would get to the range and post my target, here are the two photos, the orange dot is hiding my first 3 shots at fifty yards, I failed to bring my targets to the range, {dumb ass, move} but shot the next 4 at 100yds. I was not comfortable on the bench today so went home and will put more rounds down range at a later date. As stated, these scopes require a certain amount of finesse...Charlie112

Attachments

• IMG_4651.jpg
    IMG_4651.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4655.jpg
    IMG_4655.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: j-huskey
Rifles are finicky at best. I have had M14 match rifles built by the same armorer in relativelythr same time, same barrel mfr and twist shoot the same ammo with different dope. One could use 3moa from 200 to 300 and another 7 to 600, while it's "twin" would use 2.5 and 7.5 respectively.

Point is, you need to get good, reliable dope for your rifle by shooting it at as many yardage as you can. If you cannot, then ballistic programs will get you close, but not always on target.