• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes UNERTL Sniper scope 10x USMC

Gunnerside

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Hi out there .
Is there any place i can find a Unertl USMC scope 10x for sales on the net or dealer sites ?
All help is welcome.

Regards G

Re: UNERTL Sniper scope 10x USMC

you should fill out your profile, City State or what not!

Welcome to Snipers Hide!

USMC UNERTL's are very rare, you must search here and other sites for them and have cash on hand, 3-5k or more, USO made some exact copies, all of which are sold or spoken for, good luck with your search.

There is a difference.

US Optics has made several runs of the MST-100. A call to them might get you an exact number. (200-300 unknown)

The Unertl 10x with a T sn# was offered as a civillian version, once again I am not sure anyone would have records as to the exact number.

The USMC marked Unertl 10x on the other hand is a much more rare item and I would imagine that the transferrable ones are very rare (would include a document of its orign), but a few do exhist and would rarely be found. Usually they are attached to a rifle and either way would command a premium and would go very quickly by many of us here on the site.

Welcome and good luck,
Mark

Unertl no longer exists and when the name was bought they could no longer make the scope marked as it was for the USMC. Before they (the scope) were replaced, USO refurbished and made them for the Marines. The people who bought Unertl took some left over parts and made them marked "T" for tactical but the company didn't last very long. They never really did anything more than hire a former Unertl worker to assemble parts in a garage.

So, actually the ones bought from USO are considered correct, more so than ones from Unertl marked T. The USO versions are marked correctly and have been used by the USMC. During the "T" years there was nothing Unertl about them but the name and some left over parts.

I would rather have a USO MST-100 than a Tactical 10X from Unertl.

The Unertl 10X and the USO are the same thing, no one ever called it the MST 100, just the Unertl, it was a blanket statement regardless of whether it was an original Unertl, (Before passing) or after when USO made them.

The Unertl 10X or T, model was nothing more than assembled parts, and in my opinion not worth near as much, as the USMC SNIPER marked USOs... but that is me.

At the time the Unertl was a good scope, but hung around way too long and was past its prime.

When USO got the gig to refurbish them, they were allowed to put the scope out properly marked to the public. The original Unertls were never allowed, and most floating around are illegal to be had, and when seen there are elements floating around who usually make calls to have them picked up, or at least investigated.

Getting a Unertl Prism marked USMC SNIPER is the scope to find, but good luck doing so legally, getting a USO one marked USMC SNIPER is just as good if you ask me as many saw service, any thing else an homage to the life of John Unertl and is nothing more than a $700 scope being sold to capitalize on the Unertl Name but never saw any service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunnerside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Lowlight

Here a Unertil 10x

unertl90.jpg
</div></div>

Ya, that is a bullshit $700 scope which was sold for $2500... its just something assembled from left over parts after John Unertl died and Elsie sold the name to RG.

The USO version is much more durable then even the original Unertl's; that were sometimes known for rusting out from the inside! USO incorporated stainless parts along w/ more water resistance. The Unertl's were not as water resistant and definitely not waterproof.

Both my M40A1 and M40A3 are return stocks build to spec with the correct scopes on them, including the S&B.
SH_M40A3-1.jpg

(I have the simrad mount just never put it on.
smile.gif
)
M40A1_2.jpg

Lots of posts here on building a spec rifle. I would recommend simply getting the USO, which is marked correctly and was authorized by the USMC.

What does one have to do with the other ?

Are you saying you're just a fan boy and simply want to buy something you know little about but thinks is cool ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you pay $200 for the stock or did they get you on that too...
smile.gif
</div></div>
Ouch!
grin.gif

make mine buttered.......

i can still get you a unertl for 10k

drink up Shriner !!!!!

WTF, you stand a better chance of being Munged by space aliens than convincing us now your for real, MSG90 thats funny!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No a Jardine worked SA A1 </div></div>

Very nice looking piece.

i need some help here i have never seen or held one of these scopes but i am wondering what makes them so special that people pay thousands of dollars for them i cant imagine that they would out perform a modern 10x s&b or us optics but like i said i have never seen or held one so i dont know also if they are in such high demand why are they no longer in production thanks for the help

History,

When John Unertl made them, they would not sell them to anyone, and because they are marked "USMC SNIPER" they are historically pretty valuable as a collector item. Only two other groups I know of were permitted to use them, the FBI and Armed Forces of Canada.

At the time, circa: 1978, they were ahead of their time, but since, we have progressed much further down the road. The USMC squeezed every cent out of them for sure before going to the S&B.

My understanding is now, the active ones are going to the Iraqis, although I never followed up & confirmed if this happened for sure. Before Iraq, the decommissioned ones were supposed to go to the Scout Sniper Association for the bought price of $700, however the USMC most have gotten a better deal from Iraq.

Sounds like a huge waist!!! I can't imagine they wouldn't have brought more sold to the public???

Before I retired, I obtained a Unertl 10x scope from DRMO.....for no cost.
DCP00850.jpg

It was turned in for scrap by the armory at Camp Pendelton for "parallax out of adjustment". It had been hit on the top of the eyepiece and had a good ding, but the optics were clear and it actually parallax adjusted just fine. At the time (2004), I lived in SW PA, so I took it up to Mars, PA to the then-Unertl shop (I had my paperwork with me). It was a rather small shop, and had a lady at the front desk and Archie (?) was the scope builder. The name and company had been bought by some "investers" in Las Vegas. The shop there had a few of the 100mm spotting scopes being rebuilt for various agencies, including USAMU. Archie took my scope, rolled the eyepiece a bit better round, and did a thorough clean/inspect. He said it was in "quite serviceable" condition> He put the scope in a vacuum chamber, drew it down to a deep vacuum and inerted it with nitrogen. The clarity after his work was outastanding.
focus_parallax.jpg

In the end, after some calls to Quantico and discussion about the provenance of the scope, the then-head of Infantry weps informed me I certainly legally owned the scope, though it was supposed to be demilled (Pendelton's fault, my gain). He did ask me if I would be willing to return it to him, as they were desperately short on these scopes in functional order for use in combat theaters. Sometimes I kick myself, but I sent it back and can take some personal satisfaction that I essentially gave about $10K+ towards keeping some of our Marines alive.

By the way, I believe these original Unertl's did not have black oxide finish, but a black chromium oxide finish. Much more durable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't sell them back to the public for more than you paid... rules. </div></div>
But you can have a Privately operated company (ODCMP) do it for you (i.e. - M1 Garand sales)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">History,

When John Unertl made them, they would not sell them to anyone, and because they are marked "USMC SNIPER" they are historically pretty valuable as a collector item. Only two other groups I know of were permitted to use them, the FBI and Armed Forces of Canada.

At the time, circa: 1978, they were ahead of their time, but since, we have progressed much further down the road. The USMC squeezed every cent out of them for sure before going to the S&B.

My understanding is now, the active ones are going to the Iraqis, although I never followed up & confirmed if this happened for sure. Before Iraq, the decommissioned ones were supposed to go to the Scout Sniper Association for the bought price of $700, however the USMC most have gotten a better deal from Iraq. </div></div>

I'll have to get a hold of the current guy at Quantico. The previous branch head said I would be able to have the scope returned when it was decommissioned if I kept my paperwork (which I of course did).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunnerside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi out there .
Is there any place i can find a Unertl USMC scope 10x for sales on the net or dealer sites ?
All help is welcome.

Regards G </div></div>

is this what you are looking for ??

3736108624_bea0c89ca0.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunnerside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Pete.
Nice scope. Thanks for sharing pics of it

A friend of me<span style="font-weight: bold">(MINE)</span> have<span style="font-weight: bold">(HAS)</span> a M40A1 with Unertl mounted. T marked serialnumbered. I have plan<span style="font-weight: bold">(PLANS)</span> to buy that rifle

G

Here is the url with some pics
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1315716#Post1315716
</div></div>

Good luck on the purchase, try to work on your grammar skills though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevin7714</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunnerside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Pete.
Nice scope. Thanks for sharing pics of it

A friend of me<span style="font-weight: bold">(MINE)</span> have<span style="font-weight: bold">(HAS)</span> a M40A1 with Unertl mounted. T marked serialnumbered. I have plan<span style="font-weight: bold">(PLANS)</span> to buy that rifle

G

Here is the url with some pics
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1315716#Post1315716
</div></div>

Good luck on the purchase, try to work on your grammar skills though </div></div>

Your post made me laugh out loud at work, and all my coworkers were like, "What the fuck?"

sweet JESUS.....what a bunch of......

Boltripper withdraws his offer on the unertl offered at 10K.....

LOL @ Boltripper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Your post made me laugh out loud at work, and all my coworkers were like, "What the fuck?" </div></div>

Looks like the all the comedy that is this thread will soon be a bunch of ........

Glad we have some of it saved in our quotes
wink.gif

I'm calling BS on anyone "Legally" owning a Unertle brand 10x USMC Sniper scope, here's why. Demil code of "D".

Now I know there are exceptions etc and if you do have a DD1348 for one then it must be a destroyed unusable one...

Reality is, you can and will get away with it but if someone pushed it, they could confiscate it.

nsn.JPG

nsn2.JPG

I can understand people searching for such an item due to its heritage and historical importance if its for a specific build... Not just because it looks cool and saw them being used once upon a time.

Doesn't matter how much it costs.

As for the demill code, yeah in facts its impossible, but the guys that work at DRMO sometimes arent the most upstanding citizens. I have known guys to go to DRMO and offer a little moeny and the guys walk away with some parts or other stuff