• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unertl zero

Rookie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2004
D/FW
My M40a1 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. So I got the Unertl 10x out of the safe for mounting and started reading the zeroing instructions from Unertl as posted on the Hide a few years ago. They say to calc the amount of adjustment needed, and adjust the large Allen screw in the center of the turret but don't say anything about click values or turn values. They do caution against over adjustments and not needing more than 1 half to 1 full turn. Any idea? I suppose trial and error will eventually get it done but seems like a waste of barrel and ammo.

If it's trial and error then why does it say to calc the amount of adjustment needed?

Might ask this in the Vintage section.

My M40a1 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. So I got the Unertl 10x out of the safe for mounting and started reading the zeroing instructions from Unertl as posted on the Hide a few years ago. They say to calc the amount of adjustment needed, and adjust the large Allen screw in the center of the turret but don't say anything about click values or turn values. They do caution against over adjustments and not needing more than 1 half to 1 full turn. Any idea? I suppose trial and error will eventually get it done but seems like a waste of barrel and ammo.

Pull the bolt and boresight the thing at 25 yards and that will put you on paper at 100 if you're not good enough to just boresight at 100.

Reactions: Xcount
The allen screws are very course adjustments. Definitely do a bore sight alignment at 25 yards.

Steady the rifle in a vise or by hand. Fire a shot. Hold it steady while someone moves the wrench to align the CH with the POI. Done.

Looks like it's gonna be trial and error. I'm familiar with boresighting thanks. It was zeroed once before obviously on its original home...

It has been a while since I did this, but I do remember that small adjustments made pretty big changes.
DW