• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Uneven primer press with Primal Right and 6GT

YerrowSniper

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2020
    Hey Guys,

I noticed that my primer aren’t getting pressed in unevenly and inconsistently.
    I am using the Primal Right Primer, 6GT Alpha cases and the Lee number 2 shell holder.
    The primers are CCI 450, since they are softer, I can see the primer bulging.

Am I using the wrong holder?

Thanks

Attachments

• 4B17C13E-17DA-40D2-B5FC-054FFFA7AD53.jpeg
      4B17C13E-17DA-40D2-B5FC-054FFFA7AD53.jpeg
      390.1 KB · Views: 143
    btw AFAIK 450s aren't soft they are magnum small primers

I just double checked - #2 shellholder is correct and alpha brass fits pretty well in my lee shellholder.

What colour primer shuttle do you have installed, and how was seating force?

I just double checked - #2 shellholder is correct and alpha brass fits pretty well in my lee shellholder.

What colour primer shuttle do you have installed, and how was seating force?
    The red one, that’s for the small primer right?
    As far as seating force, it’s hard to quantify but I don’t think I am forcing anything, I feel the primer seat and the last little 1/8 push to fill seat.

The red one, that’s for the small primer right?
    As far as seating force, it’s hard to quantify but I don’t think I am forcing anything, I feel the primer seat and the last little 1/8 push to fill seat.

Yes, red is the small. I electropencil'd an "s" on mine because I'm dumb.

Sounds like tight primer pockets- will probably loosen and stop after a firing or two.

Reactions: YerrowSniper
    I noticed mine was doing that and it was because I had it adjusted so deep that the cup was bottoming out on the anvil and I was still pushing further. Backed the adjustment out to where I was using the built in hardstop on the machine I nstead of going by feel and it fixed the problem for me (and made it much more consistent).

Did you follow the original instructions on how the set the tool? Turn the elevator until the handle just barely moves and adjust from there?

I set mine up last week and it's been amazingly consistent. I seat them 2mm from flush.

Did you follow the original instructions on how the set the tool? Turn the elevator until the handle just barely moves and adjust from there?

I set mine up last week and it's been amazingly consistent. I seat them 2mm from flush.
    Yes, I did follow the instructions. 2mm is about 7-8thou, I seat mine at 8-9thou or about 2.2mm

I noticed mine was doing that and it was because I had it adjusted so deep that the cup was bottoming out on the anvil and I was still pushing further. Backed the adjustment out to where I was using the built in hardstop on the machine I nstead of going by feel and it fixed the problem for me (and made it much more consistent).
    How deep was so deep?
    I seat at 8-9 thou from flush.

Sorry, that was an auto spell correct error in my response. I seat to .002” from flush. I confirm with a primewhere gauge. I’m also using Alpha Dasher and 450cci

Reactions: YerrowSniper
    How deep was so deep?
    But how deep is your primer pocket? Measure your primer pocket depth and the thickness of your primer on the edge of the cup, not on the center anvil. If you subtract the primer thickness from the pocket depth that will give you the correct the depth to seat you primer.

Don't seat the primer flush and don't crush it!

I actually had to cut my primer pockets slightly deeper to get them to seat deeper than flush.

@spife7980 has it right, you are trying to seat too deep, back off your depth adjustment and start moving it in slowly measuring as you go. Sneak up on your desired depth but don't crush the primer cup.

But how deep is your primer pocket? Measure your primer pocket depth and the thickness of your primer on the edge of the cup, not on the center anvil. If you subtract the primer thickness from the pocket depth that will give you the correct the depth to seat you primer.

I actually had to cut my primer pockets slightly deeper to get them to seat deeper than flush.

@spife7980 has it right, you are trying to seat too deep, back off your depth adjustment and start moving it in slowly measuring as you go. Sneak up on your desired depth but don't crush the primer cup.
    I was getting similar result to this vid.

where 8-9thou with my primer pocket depth would give me the most consistent results.

How deep was so deep?

Allen’s got it right. Too deep depends on your own measurements. Some case pockets I have to crush more to get them below flush, some pockets I can go many thou past flush and still not get any crush.

I find that generally .003 of crush is good- where that’s at from flush depends on your own components.

Some cci 200s lately have gone from .010 of anvil protrusion allowing crush to no anvil protrusion on a different lot and wouldn’t crush more than a thou or two. That obviously means the amount of crush they will accept will vary (where I was actually finding my marks).

Also, brass flows. You can run all of your primer pockets through a uniforming tool, and after shooting you’ll be able remove material again.

The primer is getting crushed, it bottomed out and the ram continued to apply pressure.

The primer is getting crushed, it bottomed out and the ram continued to apply pressure.
    Yes, don’t some shooter like to crush their primers? Meaning that the anvil is bottoming out and then go for some more?
    Do you just let anvil touch the bottom of your hole?

The part that is uneven isn’t the crush, ad I don’t see how I could see that, but the bulge from the primer coming back out against the Primal Right seating rod.
    Means the rod isn’t centered on the primer.

Variables: primer pockets, height of all primers, anvil protrusion, primer thickness, and priming compound distribution.

Means the rod isn’t centered on the primer.

Variables: primer pockets, height of all primers, anvil protrusion, primer thickness, and priming compound distribution.
    Right, the rod ain’t centered.

I am not touching my pockets.
    Sounds like all the other variables are primers related, as long as I am not using the wrong shel holder and this is not negative impacting performance, sounds like there isn’t much that I can do.

I don’t uniform my pockets because the way the tool’s index isn’t consistent… I didn’t want to throw another variable in the equation.

Right, the rod ain’t centered.

I am not touching my pockets.
    Sounds like all the other variables are primers related, as long as I am not using the wrong shel holder and this is not negative impacting performance, sounds like there isn’t much that I can do.

I don’t uniform my pockets because the way the tool’s index isn’t consistent… I didn’t want to throw another variable in the equation.
    I agree.