• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Uneven Wear on Bolt Lugs

Domestique

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Reading, Pa
How big of a deal is this? This is the bolt from my SPS Tactical. The one lug, as you can see, is worn smooth, while the other has <span style="text-decoration: underline">zero</span> contact with the lugs in the receiver (I did the Sharpie test to confirm this). You can also see that half of the skirt at the front of the bolt is worn smooth, while there is zero wear on the opposite side.

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4439.jpg

IMG_4438.jpg

Re: Uneven Wear on Bolt Lugs

Thats typical with factory rifles. The lug abutments are almost never even and the same can be said for the bolt lugs. I'd shoot it until you were ready to either rebarrel it or do a factory tune up.

It's always amazed me how well the Remington 308's shoot being in their currenty condition.

It is also possible that the chamber isn't in the center of the barrel but off set to one side or the other. When you chamber a round the head of the round pulls the bolt to one side. Seen this plenty of times. This would account for the rub on one side of the bolt nose or lug.

It's always amazing to me how well factory rifles shoot when they're built like this.

My SPS-V action is a hell of a shooter and I have 90% engagement on one lug and maybe 10% on the other.

I won't worry about it until it gets re-barreled, then the smith will true the action.

Kinda makes you wonder just how important it really is to have an action trued. I have had a couple different rem 700 action or factory rifles that would shoot .500" groups that were the same way. Lee