• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Uniform flash holes?

Jackomason

Poop-smith aka "Turd Herder"
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
I've been shooting Peterson 6.5cm brass SR primer.

After I fired them all once, I went to resize and something felt off. I got 10 cases in before realizing the flash holes were being opened up by the decapping pin.

Normally I wouldn't be asking about this and I'd just accept it but as of late everything I thought I knew about reloading has been turned on its head. Seeing F class John's "media in the flash hole" test makes me wonder what matters.

Does it matter?

You got a smaller decapping pin, right?

As for the 10 that are effed, I’d still use them but probably for practice ammo, assuming primers seat normally. Probably only matters if you are looking for John’s level of accuracy.

You got a smaller decapping pin, right?

As for the 10 that are effed, I’d still use them but probably for practice ammo, assuming primers seat normally. Probably only matters if you are looking for John’s level of accuracy.
Yeah I sorted that out.

Yeah the test he ran with rice in his flash hole showed absolutely no difference at 1k.

Reactions: OREGUN
Agreed, I bet they would be identical in velocity. I wish I could find it, I saw an article where someone loaded with every SRP he could find with all other components being identical and showed very little variation in accuracy or velocity.

There's the witch doctor series where the guy tests a few CCi primers and finds they all like the same seating depth/ anvil compression. I think its kinda unrealated.

But why does lapua, peterson alpha and others drill their flash holes vs just punching them? Because I basically punched mine backwards. I'll try to find those pieces and test them...

I am happy with sort of clean good enough for me . I have seen people who polish by hand every case inside and out I think of it as obscene , but if it makes them happy hitting the same steel I do just as much as I can on the same days well more power to them and god bless having the ability to choose for one's self what is or isn't worth it . I am just into all the extra work for nothing as far as I have seen improvement wise . I don't see it improving much either way to make it worth it to me . I do run a flash hole cleaner that looks like a pipe cleaner with barbs in every round but more than that I will not do .

There are small and large de-capping pins .

A flash hole debur tool from the inside will iniform that hole. And knock off any shards / burs that are there. It leaves a tiny champher if done right.

I run them with a cordless screwdriver and 8/32 adapter.

Can I see the difference in groups?
No, not with my mid grade equipment and shooting skills to be honest.

It is an excuse elimination tool.

I would advise against uniforming the flash holes unless you created a visible lip on the ten that got opened up.

I would advise either buying a small-tip decapping rod or just chucking it up in a drill and pinching the end in some 120-grit until it slips through the small flash hole with no friction. The latter method is my go-to.

I would advise against uniforming the flash holes unless you created a visible lip on the ten that got opened up.

I would advise either buying a small-tip decapping rod or just chucking it up in a drill and pinching the end in some 120-grit until it slips through the small flash hole with no friction. The latter method is my go-to.
Yup, exactly what I did. I use a lee decapping die and it's just in my first dillon tool head now.

I think since the consensus is that it probably doesn't matter. I'm planning to go out on Friday so I'll find them and load them up.

Reactions: KnowNothing256